• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Wylie

Paul Wylie

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

We have a new client who is concerned about the companies image. We need to collect what is being said, analysis, and influence. What are some good tools out there that can search through the net so that we track what is being said about the brand name.

#2 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9011 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

Welcome to the Forums, Paul Wylie. :wave:

One useful service is Web Alerts. Google has one as does Yahoo!.

Others may have other suggestions.

#3 vangogh

vangogh

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:53 AM

I was going to suggest the same Barry.

Technorati has a watchlist you can set up. I haven't used it, but I think it's the same basic idea as the alerts except that it focuses on what's being said in blogs. I would imagine some other blog engines have something similar.

Edited by vangogh, 30 January 2007 - 01:55 AM.

#4 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:58 AM

I developed a tool to quickly search for keywords and brands: What's the Buzz?. It scours delicious, Technorati, Topix, and even Google trends. Example: pepsi.

It takes about 30 seconds to run as it collects the data.

Pierre

#5 egain

egain

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:58 AM

I have been looking at a number of tools over the last couple of weeks as regards this self same issue (however with the aim of a mmore long term overvue.

We analysed a number of tools/companies in particular
E-Watch - from PRNewswire
New Media Intelligence - NMI
GoodTechnology Seers

We have currently decided on the NMI product, however the E-watch offering seemed very good - if a little pricy

#6 vangogh

vangogh

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:58 AM

Pierre that's a nice tool. I might add the search box to the top of the results page in addition to having it at the bottom, but I like the results I saw.

#7 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:54 PM

I didn't realize you replied, vangogh! Sorry.

Thanks for trying it out. I added a form at the top as you suggested. It's a good idea. Thanks!

Any other suggestions and feedback are most certainly welcome :)

Pierre

#8 Karl Ribas

Karl Ribas

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:10 PM

One tool that's fairly new and making some waves is [url=http://www.serph.com/]Serph[/url. I believe they just started to allow people to sign up and test the product. On a side note: it's product of ACS... the same people who developed CrazyEgg. It certainly might be worth looking into.

#9 Cath

Cath

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:28 AM

I realise it's still in beta but I wasn't impressed with the serph tool this morning when I used it, for the phrase I tried it gave me 14 pages of youtube clips and the usual Richard Gere jokes. Pierre's What's the buzz for the same phase gave me considerably more information, for someone trying to find out what is being said about a certain word/phrase/company I think What's the buzz is a far superior tool right now.

#10 egain

egain

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:07 AM

Have to agree with Cath, Pierres tool is a very good bit of kit.

Ran it on one of our clients, and the response was pretty much on the ball.

#11 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:40 AM

Thanks guys. It just collects a lot of data from multiple sources into one page. Nothing too special :)

Speaking of which: are there any sources you would like to see added? I'd be happy to oblige...

Pierre

#12 Cameron Olthuis

Cameron Olthuis

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:44 AM

Karl, thanks for your mention of Serph. Cath, thanks for your feedback. We go through many sources, so sometimes the results get filled with videos or photos, we are working on that issue. Serph is going to get better and much more informative before we publicly launch, we're still in beta and we know we have many issues to work. Thanks again for your feedback, it's because of people like you that we are able to improve issues like this and end up with a better product.

#13 Cath

Cath

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:39 PM

Admittedly I only tried one phrase this morning, I will try more and may get better/different types of results, I think this type of tool is really useful.

Pierre, you're too modest :)

#14 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:32 PM

I'll second (third? fourth?) the recommendation of Pierre's What the Buzz. :-) Something like Google Alerts plus What the Buzz will give you a heads up plus an overview.

#15 send2paul

send2paul

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:06 PM

And, of course, you can go down the old fashioned route, (as used by many affiliate marketeer investigating a potential new product!), and go and Google "brand name" +....

review, news, fraud, scam, investigation, legal, report, disaster, good, etc etc - with as many other good descriptive words as you can imagine to get all kinds of results that automated searchy stuff may not pick up :)

Paul (it's a great name, isn't it? :))

#16 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:33 PM

By popular demand: I just added Google Blog Search to What the Buzz? The pepsi example again.

Pierre

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users