My employer is getting ready to launch a new website (same domain, just a revamped site) and I’d really appreciate feedback on my migration plan.
I realize some of this is probably pretty standard, but we have pretty good placement and traffic now and I’d like to do everything I can to mitigate problems that are going to occur in the SE’s with the launch of the new site (esp. loss of links and PR).
So I’d appreciate comments on the plan, or feedback to let me know if I’m completely off-base or missing something important, or any other great ideas you may have!
And if I’m not way off-base, hopefully this will help others, as I haven’t been able to find much information online around this
General Site Info:
PR – 7 homepage
Alexa – under 1k
Pages – 40–50 +
Daily Traffic - 5 - 10 k uniques
- This company has been launching new websites every 1.5 or 2 years for awhile, and there are now 3 or 4 very out-dated versions of their site existing on their domain.
- The lead designer wants to use all new directory structure on the new site to better organize the architecture and navigation (which would mean no recycling of URLs)
- Wordpress Blog will remain unchanged
- Get rid of old, out-dated pages by creating 301 redirects to the most appropriate pages on the new site.
- Send email to our Affiliates to let them know of the change and get them an appropriate list of new URL’s (affiliate links will be updated automatically)
- Create updated sitemap and submit/verify
- We are scheduling a new Product Launch at the same time (Hopefully this will create a spurt of new links to the new pages quickly)
- Increase PPC for essentially the same reason as # 4
- Should I fight to recycle as many page URLs as possible? Or let the designer create new ones and just worry about the 301s?
- Is there a ‘Best’ time to do this sort of thing?
- Are there any Engine Specific details I should consider?