41 replies to this topic

#1 Caissa

Caissa

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 08:36 AM

Hi,

I tried something new and it worked brillantly. :wink: I wanted to share it because I think most sites could benefit from this.

Right now, there is a chess match going on between Man vs Machine. Kasparov (world's top rated player) vs X3D Fritz (a chess oftware program). I made 2 weeks in advance a page on my site to give the details of the match and I am posting the results.

I did this in enough time to get great placement in Google. So whenever anyone searched for the match they would see my page.

I just received the stats and I haev busted all unique visitor records! But that is not all, the sales WOW!

Does your site have anything that is related to a newsworthy event that you can tie into? Can you give visitors good content on that newsworthy story? Try it! I bet you will find that it not only brings in many visitors but also brands you as an expert in your field.

Much luck!

#2 sanity

sanity

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for sharing Caissa. What a great idea - well done! :)

#3 Guest_scottiecl_*

Guest_scottiecl_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2003 - 04:34 PM

That's the way to think ahead! :idea: Very creative.

#4 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

Honorary Member

• Members
  • 1117 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 05:37 PM

Hey, that's a great idea. So people can come to you for information, and they then view you as an authority and thus a good place to buy related stuff. ...
But, where do you get *your* information? :lol:

#5 Caissa

Caissa

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 06:40 PM

Google :lol:

It is in the presentation. Putting it together. You find the bits and pieces all over the web, but no one puts it together in one cohesive presentation. That is the key. I found an oil painting of Kasparov and asked the artist if I could present it. He was overjoyed.

Make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Be creative!

#6 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2027 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 07:22 PM

Often with an upcoming event everywhere has an identical press release, it you have something thats different because you've asked questions and done research then it makes you standout.

Good idea.

#7 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 10:54 PM

Ouch! I'm wondering what your readership would be like if you started a chess related blog, Caissa. I'm guessing probably pretty phenomenal.

The idea of the topical page was a really good one. Keep those coming! I even saw some coverage of the match on ESPN earlier today.

Google news can be a great resource for something like that if you don't mind sorting through results on a regular basis.

#8 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

Honorary Member

• Members
  • 1117 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 09:08 AM

I read of someone in a thread somewhere on some forum (I am so staggeringly useful, I know) who said they had a whole bunch of saved Google News searches that they used to monitor their chosen field for new developments, and said it made all the difference in keeping their site on the cutting edge and winning traffic.
I guess you just enter your chosen keywords in the News tab at Google, and bookmark the result page, and just go back to it every morning or however often.

#9 Caissa

Caissa

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 10:10 AM

Good Morning,

Bill, a blog is a terific idea, but I stink at writing! (Please note my Steinitz copy :D ) In business you must know your short-comings and accept them.

That is why I started the forum. You can go in and easily post your thoughts on chess subjects and get replies. No one expects you to be a Hemingway.

I understand blogging is very good for placement in Google, is that true? PhilCK optimized my forum and I get great placement on the forum topics and posts. If anyone needs dynamic pages optimized, I can not praise Phil's abilities enough!

DL, you can sign up for news emails on your favorite subjects at Google. I knew about the match early because of I am "in the industry". I had to wait for solid information to come out before I could start piecing it together. I was watching intensely for it. I try to keep abreast of all the newsworthy chess items. This includes "chatting" with distributors, partners, competitors, etc.

There are not enough hours in a day to do all I would like to make my business grow. I am maxed out now. But it is a lovely position to be in! This forum and the ideas generated here have taken a business that was on the verge of bankruptcy (really!) and in one year helped make it a thriving business.

#10 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

Honorary Member

• Members
  • 1117 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 10:24 AM

Not all blogs are like Bill's. :D Some are fairly brief, with just lists of intersting links for the day.
I wasn't up on the Google emailing thing... Hmm... I might think of a few things to sign up for myself. Eeeeenteresting.

But you're right-- a forum is a good idea. On another forum the founder was being needled for making her readers do all the work of writing the content. :D I thought it was pretty funny. And a good point.

#11 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 2062 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 11:34 AM

Needled, Bridget? Sounds painful ...

:D

#12 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

Honorary Member

• Members
  • 1117 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 12:35 PM

Needled. Teased. Good-naturedly harassed.

Is that not in common usage? :0
Oh dear! My idioms are failing me!

#13 Adrian

Adrian

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:38 PM

Bit similar to the 'saved google search' idea, I stuck a list of rss feeds from sites I regularly look at on my site. I can use it 2 fold, one for me to have a quick check on some of the stuff going on, and maybe also attract a few other people having a look and stuff.

Whether theres may rss feeds on the topic of chess, I don't know, I guess having a site related to web design helps when it comes to using web tools, heh.

#14 Phil CK

Phil CK

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 05:34 PM

:oops: :oops: :oops: Oh thanks Caissa !

I've been away from Cre8te for a while, and I come back and see Tam's a regular ! Didn't know you hung out here as well as OH.

#15 Caissa

Caissa

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 06:09 PM

I knew if I said your name enough times you would come back!

Phil CK Phil CK Phil CK.....

#16 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 06:29 PM

Needled. Teased. Good-naturedly harassed.  

Is that not in common usage? :0  
Oh dear! My idioms are failing me!

I believe that Ron might have been the one doing the needling :)

I've been away from Cre8te for a while...

Good to see you back. (Nice job, Caissa!)

Bill, a blog is a terific idea, but I stink at writing!

Writing is one of those things that you really do get better at if you keep on doing it, and make a little bit of an effort. I know a few people who have confessed that after a year or two of blogging, they are much better writers than when they first started.

...they had a whole bunch of saved Google News searches that they used to monitor their chosen field for new developments...

I've done that, and it works quite well. Save them as a links on your browser link bar, and you can come up with some interesting stuff. I like to make sure that the link I save is also sorted by date. This is one search that I've saved to use for my blog: punk rock style. It yields some strange but fun articles occasionally.

Having Google email you when there's something new is great, but might result in a lot of emails.

I stuck a list of rss feeds from sites I regularly look at on my site

This is a really nice idea. There are also some pages that are set up for you to take advantage of some feeds. For instance, this one for legal blogs is highly recommended:

http://www.dailywhirl.com/

Notice that it's customizable, and you can add and remove the blogs that you want to read.

Topical blogs can be a really good place to find timely information on subjects. There are a number of usability and information architecture blogs that I like to read.

#17 Phil CK

Phil CK

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 06:35 PM

its like the classic Beetlejuice film :) :lol:

#18 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2027 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 06:58 PM

Yep, I hang out in all the coolest places :)

#19 Caissa

Caissa

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 08:11 PM

When do ya'll sleep???

They say you need less sleep as you get older... THEY LIED! (who iare "they" anyway?)

#20 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 08:23 PM

Sleep?

Had to look that one up. I forget what sleep is sometimes :)

Sleepnet.com fhas a pretty good tagline:

Everything you wanted to know about sleep but were too tired to ask

I don't know who "they" are. heard of them, too.

#21 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2027 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 08:49 PM

I sleep in the mornings, didn't get up til four this afternoon :lol:

Have to put up with clients waking me up though :)

#22 Phil CK

Phil CK

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 12:52 AM

Too much to do & too little time to sleep - that and being woken up early again by my little one !!!

#23 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 01:19 AM

Yep, I hang out in all the coolest places

There goes what little hope I ever had of asking you 'round my place. :)

'Course, Tam isn't just hanging round this place, she's been helping tons in making Cre8asite the helpful place it is, and I thought it was past time I mentioned that. Thanks, Tamsin.

#24 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

Honorary Member

• Members
  • 1117 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 06:03 AM

>the one doing the needli

;)
OK, not only is my wit failing me, I also don't seem to be able to select text (as seen above).
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Not me! They told me I didn't need it anymore, as I'm quite old now. Also, they told me I'd have plenty of time once I was in the real working world and not in college anymore. I must be doing this wrong. I don't have kids or a TV or a car or any hobbies really and I still only average 5-6 hours sleep a night. The only time I have to mess around is at work! And it's no fun doing it there. ;)

Yes, it's official: I am no longer master of the "select", "copy", "paste" manoever so important for forum postings. :(
I'm going back to bed. The sun won't even be up for another hour. This is madness!
*goes to post in one more forum thread. just one more.*

#25 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 07:49 AM

Thanks, Tamsin.

I'll emphatically second that!

Thank you, Tamsin!

#26 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 07:51 AM

I'm going back to bed. The sun won't even be up for another hour. This is madness!

I feel like doing that and the sun's been up for about an hour. ;)

You need to schedule a little fun time in there.

#27 Cindy

Cindy

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 09:50 AM

HI Caissa,

I'm new here. I thought that I'd chime in on this one. 8)

We had a similar experience last year. We sell swimwear and were lucky enough to be featured in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. (Verrry small print in the back.) It is the biggest PR event of the year for the swimwear crowd.

We did a mention on it on our catalog home page and were so surprised by how many hits we got...sales too! We use all the SI keywords we can think of and it really works. We have left it on there throughout the year and are still getting requests for that SI bikini they saw in the magazine.

We have thought of keeping a "swimwear in the news" kind of page to help the bikini fashionistas keep up on current events in the swimwear world.

A blog sounds interesting, but would it pay off for all the work put into it?

#28 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

Honorary Member

• Members
  • 1117 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 10:07 AM

>schedule a little fun time in there

That's what I'm here for!! ;)

>sun

Ha. Sun's not coming up here for another week, at least.
Rain, rain, chance of showers, possible showers, rain, rain, showers. Bleagh!!

>Sports Illustrated

Wow, congratulations!

Whether a blog would be worth the effort probably depends on how much effort it would be! Those for whom blogs make the most sense are those for whom it makes sense to write about what they're doing and what their company is doing. Thing is, some people grow into blogs, as Bill pointed out above, so it's tough to tell initially whether this fits you or not.

One thing to keep in mind if you sell bikinis is, if you talked about bikinis a lot, how many of your visitors would come really looking to buy bikinis, and how many would show up wanting to look at pictures of pretty ladies in bikinis? I read something somewhere about Frederick's of Hollywood no longer bidding on their own name in pay-per-click because most of the visitors they got this way were people just wanting to look at the pretty pictures.
So I suppose that's another thing to consider!

#29 Cindy

Cindy

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 01:38 PM

Yeah...I was thinking of going the fashion route. Talk about upcoming shows, letting the girls in on a buying trip, going ga-ga over certain styles or new lines coming out. You know, girl stuff.

#30 Caissa

Caissa

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 04:14 PM

How about an article for the guys," How to buy a bikini for that Special Lady".

For the gals, maybe, "What it like to be a Buyer at Fashion Shows" 8)

#31 amabaie

amabaie

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 01:43 PM

This is the same approach used by media relations practitioners -- make sure the media know in advance that you are available for comment, that you have an opinion, etc., so they can call on you for third-party commentary.

#32 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2027 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 04:28 PM

Team up with some holiday sites selling tropical beach holidays. You can link to where to wear your bikini and they can link to where to buy.

Tam

#33 wqusa

wqusa

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 08:38 AM

I am new to SEO and I would like to know how -- "I did this in enough time to get great placement in Google." was done. There are events I could tie to and would like to get started. thanks

#34 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

Honorary Member

• Members
  • 1117 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 10:49 AM

Welcome, wqusa!

The key to getting your new pages into Google in time for the event is to start as early as possible! Google can index your pages very quickly, but it can also take up to six months. So the earlier you start the better.

I think what Caissa meant was that she made the pages well ahead of time, probably with a template so that she could update it easily once information came in, but in the meantime she probably had a keyword-laden blurb about the event as an introduction.
I'm not sure what she did, and I'd be interested to hear more details. But that's probably what she meant.

So if you have some events coming up, write up a page right now about the upcoming events, and just do all the basic SEO you can-- use the keyphrase in the page title and in the page heading, and write up a couple of paragraphs about the event that won't seem dumb to anyone who stumbles in before the event starts happening, and that give the search engines something relevant to index.

So, these pages had been spidered and put into the search engine's index well before the event began, so that when people suddenly started searching on the term, there was her page, because it was relevant to their queries.

So, all you really need to know is what people are going to be searching for when the event starts happening, so you can get your page ready.

#35 Cindy

Cindy

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for some great tips, guys.

As for getting listed for an upcoming event. You might try listing on Inktomi through PositionTech.com. It only takes a few days for your listings to show up on MSN. It's not Google, but MSN is still a very powerful player. It's also relatively inexpensive.

As for Google...It can sometimes take a long time to get on there and to move up in the placings. Until you do, you may have to buy some pay-per-clicks on Google through AdWords.

#36 fast-pack.com

fast-pack.com

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 08:43 PM

What a GREAT IDEA ! Thanks for starting this topic! Already found a great topic for our page! Bubble Wrap Apreciation Day in late January! :D We are a Shipping Supply company and sell bubble wrap. CNN even had a spot on the history of Bubble Wrap last year, so there must be an interest? Will give it a try!

Yes, there is a Bubble Wrap apreciation Day! Who would have ever thought?

#37 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 07:10 AM

Sounds like a good plan, jason.

Welcome to the forums.

Better start getting the word out now. Put that web page up, and get it spidered, and do whatever else you can to get people talking. Bubble wrap deserves a profile right up there with duct tape ;)

Good to have you aboard - let us know how the topical bubble wrap page goes.

#38 fast-pack.com

fast-pack.com

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 08:17 AM

Hello All!,

Thanks Bill! A few questions on a topical page. Should it be on a different domain than I am promoting? Also, do you think the idea is too little too late? Having less than a month until the event?

#39 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 08:31 AM

Is it too late?

Maybe, and maybe not. I mentioned Duct tape because I believe that the duct tape people do something similar. There are even duct tape festivals in some areas - I believe a big one is held in Alaska every year, in a ball room.

You have less than a month, but you have 13 months to plan for the next one.

Start doing a little research, and if you can't accomplish what you would like this year, see what you can do for next year.

A different domain?

You could use a landing page or two that are geared towards specific promotions and use those for these. For instance, if you promote it through a newsletter, make a promotion landing page just for that newsletter and the specific group of people you send that to.

Some nice points and links to other threads on landing pages here:

http://www.cre8asite...?showtopic=2411

You could use other domains, and other ways to promote bubble wrap. Whatever you do, make it fun. That's what will make it effective.

Will people do searches for duct tape on duct tape appreciation day? Do you have enough time to impress people with your pages and preparations for the event? Maybe. Maybe not. You're probably in a better postion to know than we are.
<edit - typo>

#40 Grumpus

Grumpus

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6233 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:25 AM

I like doing things like this on a single domain. The reason being that if someone likes the article (finds it amusing or interesting) they are likely to say, "Hmmm - who are these people? They are fun!" or "They are interesting!" and go looking around your site to see who you are. If they have to go to another domain, then the relationship between the article and the "people who created it" is questionable. Maybe it was just one guy from the mail-room who did the article. If it's on the same domain, then they can see that it's a part of that whole.

It's important that the article match the tone and mood of your main website, too. If your website is somewhat whimsical, then your article should be. If your site is chock full of factual data and information, then the article should be as well. The more seemless the bridge between "Here is a fun little article on Bubble Wrap" and "Here's why you should use our company" the better it'll go over in the reader's mind. It's a matter of converting "passive interest" into "active purchase" - something that can be tricky and take some practice, but even I (with my poor copywriting skills) can comprehend and execute with some fair amound of success.

Even if the article doesn't directly convert to a sale, it's a great way to get your name out there. When the article is done (and if it's worthy of a read) you can let news organizations and some of those "Stupid Facts from the Web" type sites know about your article.

For your specific case, I'd make sure I got a whole bunch of historical and trivial information in there about bubble wrap. Who invented it. How it got invented. Stories about the guy who went over Niagra Falls in a ball of Bubble Wrap (I'm sure that's not a real story, but I bet there are equally entertaining anecdotes that you can find).

This is the type of thing that a bunch of drunk fraternity guys are going to look up to settle a bet. They get their answer and your brand is there staring them in the face. Then, next year, Drunk #7 graduates and gets a job in the shipping department of some Fortune 500 company. Looking for a fast promotion, he comes up with a plan to cut shipping costs by 13%. While working out his plan he remembers your article and has a look at your company's web site. And the rest is history.

Pretty far fetched, huh?

Not really.

G.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users