• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 768 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

Why for search terms that do fairly well in Google I'm sucking in Yahoo below goofball sites? is there anything specially to do? thanks
Interesting: one search term I'm coming up #40, for same term in Yahoo directory I'm #3. I've been in Directory since 1999

#2 Respree

Respree

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

Perhaps following some of these Yahoo recommend do's and don't might help your situation.
http://help.yahoo.co.../basics-18.html

#3 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2057 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:52 PM

Just read those. That's very general. I think all 3 SEs sort of give that same advice. They all want good content, unique, made for humans etc. Maybe I'm reading it wrong or I only see what I want to hear. Is there something there that is unique to Yahoo!?

I find that Y! is generally harder to rate in. M is really mixed up. I rate for terms that I should not. Not complaining, I'll take it. :)

#4 bsaric

bsaric

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

Most webmasters will say that it's easier to rank in M and Y then in G, specially if you have keywords in domain name :). It's also a lot faster to rank in Y and M then in G. My best guess, which can be totaly wrong, that if your domain is older it has rankings on G, but Yahoo does not care so much about age like G. Is is old? If not Yahoo loves # of links :)

Edited by bsaric, 02 March 2007 - 06:43 PM.

#5 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 768 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:30 PM

I agree with Bobb: those guidlines are old news (although very true and valid). But I have a legitmage commercial white hat site since 1998 that has a 98% seo score with: www.whois.sc/

What I've noticed, is that myself and few other competitors that rank real well in Google, don't too to hot in Yahoo. Lot of upstarts way way ahead, and I can't figure it out.

I have more links too that the guy I'm referring to. I think the age thing that Bsaric is mentioing is a biggie factor in this, but still: why am I #40 on an important search term I should be more like 5-6??

#6 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 768 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:57 PM

just searched some terms that I was doing 4, 5, 7, month ago and am now gone, totally for those terms. but I searched for my domaine name and 262 pages showed up.

ONe page I was coming up #2, I recently added text, really put lot of heart into optimizing this page to come up #1, and am now #4.

#7 Respree

Respree

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:59 AM

We could probably continue this conversation until the end of time, but at the end of the day, it's all speculation about what Yahoo likes. I think most people would agree that, all things being equal, more incoming links are better than less. But, its only one piece of an unsolvable puzzle.

Here's what some people think works.

http://www.webpronew...-seo-techniques

http://www.beanstalk...o-for-yahoo.htm

http://www.rankquest...-for-yahoo.html

#8 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 768 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:28 PM

great links Respree thanks.
BTW: I heard that Yahoo is doing some server restrucuring, hence, weird results now

#9 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1597 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:05 PM

Having just publicly announced an update I found my main business site being incredibly well treated by Yahoo.

In its industry the site is ranked #1 for its main keyword phrase and then has 14 additional 2ndary terms with rankings ranging from #1 (nine of them) to #3. I'm utterly stunned.

Having reviewed the 3 links from above by Respree; my site corresponds with the "heavier keyword density" model than other sites in the industry. More specifically as referenced within http://www.webpronew...-seo-techniques

we use stemming and variations of our main keywords on each page. I'd have to go back and reread through in depth competing websites; but if they haven't changed much than my business site does seem to reflect what is referenced above in this link....and more or less confirmed in the other 2 links from kevs references.

Its merely an observation...but in this case it does seem to correspond with those suggestions.

Of other relevant points the site has a url = to kyword1-kyword2.com. Full use of meta tag descriptions with rich keywords and a relatively fairly strong amt of links from related sites with significantly varied anchor text.

and frankly all this time I've been focused on google.

Edited by earlpearl, 07 November 2007 - 11:53 AM.

#10 Bompa

Bompa

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

This is a frequent question.

Your mistake is that you think the search engines all judge sites and pages in a similar way.

A few years ago, Pennsylvania State University and Dogpile.com studied the overlap of the
major SEs. What they found surprised almost all SEOs at the time.

The SE results are *not* the same across the big four SEs.

* 84.9% results were unique to one search engine.
* 11.4% results were shared by any two search engines.
* 02.6% results were shared by three search engines.
* 01.1% results were shared by the top four search engines.

The complete results of the study are online somewhere, but here's a writeup on seochat.com

Bompa

#11 phaithful

phaithful

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:09 PM

Here's the study that Bompa is refering too:

InfoSpace aka DogPile: Different Engines, Different Results: Web Searchers Not Always Finding What They’re Looking for Online

Edited by phaithful, 21 February 2008 - 06:09 PM.

#12 kevs

kevs

Light Speed Member

• 500 Posts Club
  • 768 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:49 PM

Interesting stuff.

Funny, when I was doing bad in Google for some reason, I was getting better results in Yahoo, and my respect for Yahoo incresed. Now I am rocking in Google, and my results are fairly poor in Yahoo.

It's like they keep and eye on each other and cacel one another out.

Objectively Google does seem to deliver better results. no?

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users