• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nadir

Nadir

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:44 AM

Hi guys, I'm quite annoyed by the fact that Google Mobile is now mixing web results with mobile results depending on the users query. It seems like mobile websites aren't given any priority and are kind of buried. I've explained the situation on this post, please let me know what you think about that.

#2 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

Where do you use the mobile web? (what kind of device)?

John

#3 Nadir

Nadir

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:56 AM

Not sure if this question is ironic...Are you asking this because you don't think there's a Web and a Mobile Web?

Edited by Nadir, 30 March 2007 - 10:56 AM.

#4 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:06 AM

No, I'm sorry - it was not meant ironic! (but I can see how it might be seen as such)

It's just that I've never been satisfied with any device with "the mobile web" - it was never anywhere near usable enough for me to use it on a daily basis. I assumed that since you noticed something like that, you most likely use such a device (perhaps even often). I know I'm like lightyears behind when it comes to using gadgets, so I know I'm probably missing something :).

John

(afterthought: here I am outing myself as a mobile-newbie :spambuster:)

Edited by softplus, 30 March 2007 - 11:09 AM.

#5 Nadir

Nadir

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:15 AM

Ah, ok, cool then :spambuster: I feel you my friend. Usability doesn't just depend on the website, it also depends on the browser, the touchpad, the joystick (if any) etc.

But I can tell you that a lot of people are having a good experience with mobile sites. Sometimes because the sites are properly designed, or just because they have a decent browser and/or phone.

May I ask what kind of handset you used and what websites you visited?

#6 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:23 AM

Sometimes I browse the web using my Windows PDA when I'm on a train or stuck bored somewhere. Relatively speaking, GMail is great, Cre8 and SEOR are good, eKstreme.com decent enough, digg good until you try to vote, and reddit functional. Most sites eventually make it through OK. I use the built-in Wifi if I can get a connection or GPRS.

So is it an enjoyable process? Definitely not, but it sure beats being bored.

Yahoo Go is good. Live Search, with the mapping software, is amazing - I love it! I don't have GPS but I might splurge for the hardware just to make it completely functional.

My device is an Orange SPV M600, which is a bog-standard Orange-branded SIM-locked piece of kit.

Pierre

#7 Adrian

Adrian

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

I don't think there should be a difference between the web and the mobile web, so if google blur the lines, I'm not fussed.

If there's an issue about the web not working on phones, I feel that's an issue for browsers to work out, not for Google to work out.

#8 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9012 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:23 PM

I'm not sure I'm understanding what's happening here. It sounds to me, Adrian, that Google is agreeing with you that there should be no difference between the web and the mobile web. So it's choosing to ignore any website that is specifically designed for mobile devices, if I've understood Nadir's blog post correctly.

I believe human behaviour will determine whether there is only one web or whether a Mobile Web develops that is to some degree independent of the regular web. Some of the dot Mobi initiatives seem to allow that to happen. If so, then Google will have to bow to reality and have a true Mobile search that works for all Mobile websites.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users