• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 stinhambo

stinhambo

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:34 AM

I found out about a book called 'SEO Book' by Aaron Wall and the sales page sounds convincing enough (obviously) but I wondered if it is as good as Aaron says it is.

#2 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:42 AM

It's been a while since I've read Aaron's book, but it was good enough for me to recommend that a trainee that I was working with read it to learn about the basics of SEO, and get an introduction to advanced topics.

I also recommended that the same trainee read the Sitepoint Search Engine Marketing Kit from Dan Thies.

I had that person look at a lot of other articles and papers, but felt that between those two books, they had a very nice introduction to SEO.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:51 AM

Here are some links for more feedback:

Google search on feedback

Testimonials

Feedback on his blog about the book left in comments

In addition to his book, Aaron writes often in his awesome blog

#4 Nadir

Nadir

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

Reading his excellent blog will convince you that his ebook is worth buying.

#5 storyspinner

storyspinner

• Hall Of Fame
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

Aaron's book is good, but there are several other industry experts that have good books out there too.

Mike Grehan, Jill Whalen and Shari Thurow all have books that are just as good. :)

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5177 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:01 PM

Do not skimp on educating yourself. SEO is a highly competetive venture and the rewards for knowledge are high. If you are not good at SEO you are going to waste enormous amounts of time.

Don't hesitate to spend a money and time on your education. Compare the cost of a few books or e-documents to the price of a single university semester. These books are a great deal - think of all of the books that you bought in college and that made you nothing!

#7 tamar

tamar

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

I would say yes. Aaron's blog and book are really top notch. Plus, he's very receptive to follow-up questions.

#8 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

I'm another who'd definitely recommend Aaron's book. As well as SitePoint's Search Marketing Kit.

#9 randfish

randfish

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:55 PM

The answer is an unconditional "yes."

#10 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:59 AM

I'm another who'd definitely recommend Aaron's book. As well as SitePoint's Search Marketing Kit.

With you on that one Sophie. I have both too - shame Aaron's does not come as a printed and bound version like Sitepoint's though I understand why Aaron has kept his to an online format (he updated it when required).

I'd say they both re-affirmed what I already knew and had taught myself but there were a few things in each which helped me both clarify and change some of the processes I carry out.

Daz

Edited by ukdaz, 24 April 2007 - 09:37 AM.

#11 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:05 AM

Seeing how you all are not linking with affiliate links, it must really be good :)

John

#12 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

We would strip out affilite links....against the rules for folks to sell here. :)

That said, we sell Aaron's book from homepage, and proceeds support maintaining these forums as FREE for everybody and the money goes into the same pool as the scholarship fund money we try to raise every year.

#13 tambre

tambre

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:33 AM

Mike Grehan, Jill Whalen and Shari Thurow all have books that are just as good.

and what books would those happen to be? :)

i'm fairly sure i could look them up myself but since this is kind of like a "is this a good book" thread, perhaps we could list some more good SEO books?

i'm going to be totally noob and say that while it deals probably 99% with usability... if a site is usable by people it's usable by search engines, yeah? so Don't Make Me Think by Steven Krug is my choice.

-sam

#14 storyspinner

storyspinner

• Hall Of Fame
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:23 PM

Mike's Book - Search Engine Marketing Book
Shari's Book - Search Engine Visibility
Jill's Book - The Nitty Grtty of Writing for Search Engines

ok.. back to work for me!

#15 tambre

tambre

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:35 PM

thank you storyspinner <_<

#16 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:49 PM

Yeah, I suspect "Don't make me think" is great. I'll probably get me one some time.

#17 Nick Warren

Nick Warren

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:28 PM

Hi.
I went to buy Aarons book using my credit card by following the links on this home page. I clicked on "buy now" and entered credit card details. But it would not process my request because I did not enter my adress. The reason I could not enter my adress was because the credit card process only had address options for the United States. This seems an obious flaw. How can people living outside the US buy this book? Seems crazy...

#18 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:34 AM

It might be worth emailing Aaron. He's usually pretty good with responding to questions/problems.

#19 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:01 AM

It does have address fields for me. Try waiting for the page to completely load, I guess?

There aren't many required (red *) fields, really.

#20 BJ Wright

BJ Wright

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:03 PM

I recommend reading the book. As mentioned earlier simply read Aaron's blog for a week and you'll see the great content that is put out.

#21 Nick Warren

Nick Warren

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:19 PM

I guess I'll have to set up a paypal account Aaaron's promptly emailed me thusly;

"Hi Nick
Paypal is accepted all around the world. I have sales to people in foreign
countries every day of the year.

Aaron"

Reagrds Nick

#22 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:33 PM

Funny, I am sure I've seen the "No paypal?" option.

Off Topic offtopicAlso, I can't use PayPal, because it doesn't allow me to get paid using it nor deposit cash on it. I am in an exquisite country, though.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 30 April 2007 - 11:33 PM.

#23 arnabme

arnabme

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:10 AM

I would always prefer to have the SEO Book by Aaron Wall.Its much more comprehensive and easy to understand.

#24 Alchemweb

Alchemweb

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

Aaron's book is absolutely brilliant.

Mike Grehan's Search Engine Marketing book (which I bought a few days ago) is copywrite 2002 and still talks about Inktomi.

'At the time of writing, the Inktomi service, which is managed by 3rd party companies including Position Technologies, charge $39 ...'

I've found one section that is dated 2004 so that's only 3 years out of date, which is a LOONG time in the SE world.

The best bit is 'How Search Engines Work' which is worth the 18. But don't be misled that you're getting something that's current and up to date, because you ain't. Not quite sure how he manages to have the gall to promote it, or why all the top slots in Google sing his praises. Affiliates and friends, maybe.

#25 suwan

suwan

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

I tried to find out SEO book and then I found book from Aaron that good for beginer like me. I do not know it good for SEO expert if not, please advise the book for become an expert.

#26 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:36 PM

Suwan, there is no field of human knowledge in which one becomes an 'expert' from reading just one book. :)

Sure, the guy who has read only one book will seem like an expert to those who've read nothing, maybe, but he's not really an expert. Expertise comes from knowledge tempered with lots of experience. Just as doctors must have plenty of experience before they may be called a surgeon, no matter how many times they might have read and re-read Grey's Anatomy.

#27 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

Suwan, there is no field of human knowledge in which one becomes an 'expert' from reading just one book. smile.gif

Sure, the guy who has read only one book will seem like an expert to those who've read nothing, maybe, but he's not really an expert. Expertise comes from knowledge tempered with lots of experience. Just as doctors must have plenty of experience before they may be called a surgeon, no matter how many times they might have read and re-read Grey's Anatomy.

A HUGE and over whelming AHMEN to that brother... :thumbs:

Edited by lee.n3o, 12 July 2007 - 04:55 AM.

#28 Souravi

Souravi

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:36 AM

Thanks Storyspinner for the Links :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users