• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BJ Wright

BJ Wright

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

I have been doing some link research on some of my competitors, and have noticed that they do have some .edu links. How does one go about getting links on a .edu website?

#2 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:17 AM

One of the easiest ways is to create content that fills an informational void that an edu site might be interested in linking to.

#3 yannis

yannis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1634 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 04:46 AM

Another way is to search for student blogs and see if you can connect with one. As a second thought having children at College helps! :D

Yannis

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5363 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:06 AM

If you see a competititor with .edu links go to those .edu pages and see what they are linking to.

#5 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

I wonder. Wouldn't it be more effective to create something for your core (very targeted and possibly loyal) customers and promote it on the sites, where they live? That'd bring more links and targeted visitors and would be more effective than .edu links.

If you create many useful articles and promote them (don't forget the last part), I suspect you'll be in much better shape, than while scurring for .edu links, because, essentially, .edu sites are just sites with lots of trusted, topical links (and without much buying audience), nothing else.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 02 May 2007 - 09:48 PM.

#6 Shanada

Shanada

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:18 AM

We have attempted to gain links from .edu sites before, and it's proving to be rather challenging. The biggest problem is finding a blog, etc that is still actively maintained (many, many stale pages out there), and then it's getting hold of the owner.

Then after that was the fun and games trying to get them to link to the target site. For many (especially the professors), their webpages are of low-to-no real priority and so they couldn't be bothered updating them. Also was the natural suspicion as to why they were being approached.

All in all we've found it to be a real hassle trying to get links from .edu sites, especially when so many have become riddled with spam :)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users