• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DarrenC

DarrenC

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

I'm sure I am not the only member who has the same dilemma as me. Iím a business owner, and the business website has taken a hit in recent months, in fact, in the past 18 months, I have seen the site slowly move down the search engine results.

Itís frustrating.

The site in question offers a service, so naturally people wonít link to the website, so I decided to create a mini site powered by Wordpress, using the same domain, and build content so that I can link through to my pages which offer this service, and also create content which people will hopefully link to.

I guess ideally I need one-way links to improve the ranking of the site in the search engines, so other than directories and articles [which havenít worked in the past] what other ways can I acquire one-way links?

Is getting links more important than on-page optimisation and keyword density?

Finally, in the past I have spent months optimising the site for keywords which I think would be competitive and bring in tons of traffic, but they havenít, so how can I find the keywords that I should really be aiming for Ė I seem to struggle to think of keywords people would use to find my service.

Thanks.

Darren

#2 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1543 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:39 PM

On the other hand my business also offers a service and does have considerable bls relative to competitors and is highly ranked.

But it isn't easy.

Probably takes both creative link building and/or sneaky link acquisition trading.

Take a look at sites that provide the same services and are highly ranked and see where their links are coming from.

There are some creative link building sources to read. Check out seomoz and read read read.

Good luck.

Dave

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5365 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

In very light competition, on-page optimization will be effective, however as soon as any real competition develops it quickly becomes a battle of links.

Keyword density is not really an important thing to spend time on. Place the KW in your title, in your H1 and then a couple times on the page.

The fastest way to evaluate KWs is to do PPC on them and see how they convert. Use this to explore then build content that will compete for them. Another way to get some info on KWs is to visit excellent sites in your them and see what they are going after. Sometimes they will surprise you with innovation.

#4 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1878 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 04:32 AM

Darren,

How much work have you done on the site over the last 18 months? Have you worked on your copy, the images, titles, descriptions and headers, added new content, tweaked your anchor text? Have you been active around the service you provide, joined forums, given advice? Have you done anything to warrant keeping your ranking where it was?

Like earlpearl, I'm seeing an improvement in business...

#5 DarrenC

DarrenC

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:21 PM

Earlpearl, I don't spend anytime looking at my competition, and that's probably what I need to do more of to find out how they are ranking well.

EGOL, the competition is VERY TOUGH, very competitive keywords, and thousands of sites fighting for the top 10 spot. Good idea on Adsense, I'll have a look into that, PPC is not something I have used before.

Fisicx, To be honest, I've neglected this site, and it's why it's ranking is getting worse. I write on a blog, and this blog has been featured in the national press, featured in magazines, but blogs are so much easier to promote than sites.

#6 DarrenC

DarrenC

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

Just a quick question.

How effective are INTERNAL links.

For example I have a page and I have a forum and a blog. I link to that page from the forum and the blog, is it going to effective for ranking at all?

#7 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:55 PM

Hi There,
The theory is that the more links there are pointing to a document (a page) the more important (popular) that page will be deemed by the search engines. You should certainly link to your pages internally, but this will not have the same weight as external documents (not owned by you) linking to you.

The nice thing about building up your main site to have lots of inbound (external) links pointing to it is that then, when you do wish to link out to another page, that link can carry a lot of weight. For example, when we do a site design or redesign, we usually do a post on our blog about the finished project, with a link pointing to the site. Because our blog has a good number of inbound links pointing to it, that can help to give a new site a boost in terms of indexing and ranking. So, that's nice.

You might want to re-think spreading your content too thin on different properties. I would be more inclined to build up the content on your main site rather than having external websites and blogs pointing to it. Google isn't foolish...they won't, in most cases, be swayed into thinking your site is popular if you are repeatedly linking to it from your own properties. Running a service-based site certainly doesn't cut you out of the ability to gain valuable, voluntary backlinks if your content is good enough. You don't say what the service is, of course, but there are few niches out there that couldn't manage to brew up some decent linkbait with enough creativity.

SEOmoz is, indeed, a good place to go for ideas on linkbait. Good luck to you!
Miriam

#8 DarrenC

DarrenC

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for the excellent reply!

I should confirm that the blog and forum is on the same domain name.

The site in question is within Travel.

I've read tons of articles and blogs tonight, to try and find some link building techniques that will generate one-way links, but its tough going.

#9 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:16 AM

Travel - yup, that's a competitive market :)

I wouldn't be looking at getting in on the top terms. 2, 3 and 4 word searches that will get you into a niche. Inching in sideways, in other words.

link building techniques that will generate one-way links

If I were to ask you about the best way to find the cheapest tickets you would give me a link. That link is a resource; it's an easy way to answer a question. An easy way to solve a problem.

One-way links are like that.

For example....
  • 21 Things a web worker needs to bring
  • The Complete Single Parent Travel Checklist
  • 5 Ways To Get Back Home After You've Been Robbed
  • How To Get Money Back When Your Hotel Stinks
  • 18 Things You Need To Know About <Amsterdam> <New York> <Paris> etc.
  • Software That Will Get You In Jail When Traveling
  • 10 Things To Do At The Airport
  • How To Be Productive While On Route
  • 3 Vacations That Pay For Themselves
  • Will My Mobile Phone Work Abroad?
  • Europe & Net Access: What You Didn't Know
  • 5 Ways To Track Your Kid While Abroad
  • Convince Your Parents With These Travel Stats
  • 10 Sexiest Places That Pay For Themselves
  • 5 Things To Ask Your Travel Agent
  • Religion & Travel in the Middle East
Then, if needed, find the question to your answer and post/answer/help about it. Inject the source somewhere: a few blogs, a forum, a social web site, a link somewhere. Don't fight the power; if it doesn't (seem) to work right away, move on to the next source, the next article.

Where I'm coming from?

Last time I looked for a plane ticket to a specific destination they told me about e-tickets. How am I supposed to know this site will send me one? How can I check that what they send me is an e-ticket recognized by airlines?

You could be that one-link answer.

Other sideways example... maybe a bit far-fetched, probably not... I'm a stamp collector. I'm in an eastern Europe. I spot a really rare stamp for 10 USD. I know the stamp is worth 10K. Now what? Do I need to report it to customs? If yes, why? If no, why?

The golden rule is this: when active and knowledgeable in an industry, at least 90% of what you and yours know is not common knowledge.

#10 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:41 AM

The golden rule is this: when active and knowledgeable in an industry, at least 90% of what you and yours know is not common knowledge.

Ruud,
That is solid gold!
Miriam

#11 DarrenC

DarrenC

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:58 AM

Ruud,

Thank you. Wow, I love this forum. Every single response has been superb, well written, and people have taken the time to write very useful responses.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users