• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13470 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:33 AM

Bill Slawski (Forums Admin) has a nice write up in Website Magazine.

I covered it in my blog, plus you can read it online:

What Personalization Means to Search

Also, one of our Site Admins, Sophie Wegat, has been published by a magazine in Australia. Here is her post and announcement for that. The article is especially valuable to those who want to build a website without spending a ton of money. It's called "Building a Website on a Budget". She links to the PDF of the article. Not sure if it will go up on the web, but if you can read PDF files, her article has some great points :)

#2 swainzy

swainzy

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3318 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

Congrats to both of you! :applause: Nice work!

#3 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:30 PM

Very nice! Both are very well written :)

Pierre

#4 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:20 PM

Thanks, everyone.

And thanks Kim, for the writeup in your blog.

I really enjoyed Sophie's article, and I'm hoping for her to become one of Australia's top internet icons. :thumbs:

#5 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:53 PM

Sophie's Utterly Shameless Self Promotion certainly shows she knows her business, can write well for a targeted audience, and look good in a photo. That last point is intolerable. :busted_cop: Otherwise golden advice and platinum marketing. Congratulations. :applause:

Bill wrote a very nice overview. :thumbs:
That is 'nice' as in (1) well done and (2) looking on the bright side. I agree with everything...

But, I have long had two major concerns with Google the ad server:
1. the trend towards algo derived search relevancy requiring increasing levels of personal data retention. Personalisation is a logical addition now people have been eased into the unobtrusive indirect data mining of g-mail, g-toolbar, g-analytics, etc. There is very little accountability, transparency, or protection for the g-user.

2. the trend towards displayed ad-relevancy surpassing that of the search results. There is an obvious conflict between answering a query and serving an ad: why click an ad if the query results are optimum? And in the money topics query relevancy is falling fast in the face of ad drenched returns.

Personalisation will simply increase the probability that the answer will be found via some form of paid placement.

Am I alone in my paranoia or is there actually a dark side to Google and personalisation? :oh-so-lonely:

Kim certainly surrounds herself with the best and the brightest. Nice to be able to reap the benefits of the cre8-ive experience.

#6 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13470 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

Kim certainly surrounds herself with the best and the brightest.

That includes you!!!! :hugsallround:

#7 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:14 AM

It's always refreshing to come back here, (from wandering around the net and reading outrageous things about SEO!), to get back to basics for some solid reading on SEO.

Good job everyone! :)

Paul

#8 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

Personalisation will simply increase the probability that the answer will be found via some form of paid placement.

There may be some merit to that proposition.

I didn't go into paid search, or privacy implications in the article that I wrote - there was a word limit on the article. But those are aspects of the topic that should be explored in much more depth.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users