• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tambre

tambre

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:54 AM

i'm not sure if i post this in the Yahoo! forum or the pay per click forum... but i thought i'd try here anyway.

i've got a client that's ranked in about the 3rd spot on sponsored search (not ideal, i know) and last month they got 31 impressions but no clicks according to the little graph and the report and the column that says "no clicks".

maybe it's just bad luck? they're going after three keywords... they are showing up so they have visibility. would you suggest that i try to rewrite the ad? pay more money? impressions but no clicks kinda confuses me.

thanks guys
-sam

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5477 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:49 PM

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Rewrite, pay more, rewrite and pay more both.

Experiment, look for ways to expand your KW reach. Try Google Adwords where the action is a little faster.

Go out in those SERPs and see what you are competing against. Come back with offers and ads that are superior.

Now..... 31 impressions in a month is not very much... not a lot of money to be made there unless you are selling something really expensive with huge profit margin. To make real money you need to ask if there is adequate demand for this product that you are missing or is this a product that is worth your time promoting.

#3 Jozian

Jozian

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:11 PM

Hmm, re 3rd position. There are always exceptions, but thats usually exactly where I *want* to be.

No clicks on 31 impressions is nothing to worry about, yet. You need to get more impressions before you can really know if your CTR sucks, but I would definitely try additional ad pitches.

On Yahoo, I ususally run 3 ads per keyword at any point in time. Once I have enuff data that one is performing worst, I will to turn it off and create another, so my ads constantly have interenal competition. A word of warning here though: if you are not tracking ads all the way through to converstion, and just having them compete on CTR, you can hose yourself fast.

I suggest that you try some other keywords, maybe a lot more KW's, so that you can get your impressions up, if you have it all setup reasonlbly well, the pipeline of clicks and conversions will happen. Set a budget limit if you are worried about an overspend.

-Jeff

#4 tambre

tambre

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

Try Google Adwords where the action is a little faster.

yeah, we've got google adwords and we're doing really really well there. we just wanted to try yahoo knowing people use that search engine and see what we could get from there.
but i agree with you that i should probably look at other peoples ads and rewrite mine. i think it's lacking in the "wow" department.

Hmm, re 3rd position. There are always exceptions, but thats usually exactly where I *want* to be.

why?

jeff,
so if i have three keywords i run 9 ads total? and yeah, i don't have it going all the way through to conversions. yahoo! search marketing is a still a bit new to me so i haven't set that up yet, although i know i should. :)

but thanks to the both of you, i'll look into getting more keywords and some new ad script :D

-sam

#5 Jozian

Jozian

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

so if i have three keywords i run 9 ads total?

Generally, thats what I do, and then compare performance by ad. Others say do two, like A/B testing, but I like threee because I like to think that the ads are targeted toward different customer personas and thus one ad is never an optimal solution for getting the largest slice of the customer pie.

3rd position? Why?

Costs less and has pretty near the same click though on most keywords I have worked with. I want the click but at the cheapest price. I will leave it to my landing page to convert them, the ad just has to bring them. (thought remember that the two are tied together - the ad pitch must follow to the page pitch)

I also usually want the branding value from being in the top 3 paid results.

-Jeff

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users