Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Should Government Sites Be Indexed Automatically?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

I'd love to have your opinion :)

Here's a thread in the Google Webmaster groups: http://groups.google...81fd3d48defb46/

For a small state gov't. program site directed at a small percentage of the population with few inbound links currently, that can be a problem. So, people who need to find this program must wait for "good" links? Functionality dictates service to citizens? It's a CNAME of a .gov; any other options?

They always say .gov domains are treated the same way as all other domains are - would/should that count for the initial indexing as well?

John

#2 joedolson

joedolson

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Technical Administrators
  • 2902 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:35 AM

They always say .gov domains are treated the same way as all other domains are - would/should that count for the initial indexing as well?

I'd say yes. Having .gov site given preference is tantamount to slapping a big target on their websites saying "Free Lunch" for spammers.

If .gov sites could also be given free (and foolproof) security checks to verify against hacking and spamming, sure - give 'em preference. Otherwise, I think you're just opening up for problems.

Besides - would there really be any value to giving them indexing automatically, without links? If ranking is still based significantly on the links into the site, you'd still have the situation where they wouldn't be likely to come up for many searches.

Edited by joedolson, 12 June 2007 - 11:44 AM.

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5177 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:36 PM

I spent one of my careers as a manager at a government agency... if they want visibility they need to earn it just like anyone else. If they want newspaper or TV or radio exposure they figure it out and pay the freight... why should the web be any different?

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users