• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon_Cstone

Brandon_Cstone

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

I made (very significant) changes to a website almost a month ago, and the Live spiders have crawled my site numerous times since then, but have still not updated the pages/links.  The link structure has changed, and the other search engines have picked up the changes fairly easily (I have a basic 301 direct on the old pages pointing to the new pages).  Google updated within a day or so, but Live is lagging behind a lot (it's been almost 30 days already).  Also, if I view the Live cache of the page, I get an Apache error page that displays the 301 error message saying that this page has moved "here".  Is this a problem?  Of course you don't see that error message if you request that page in a normal browser...

This site has always struggled to rank as well in Live as it does in Google and Yahoo, and I've never been able to determine why this is the case.  What can I do?

#2 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

Have you query'd live to see if the new pages come up in the SERPs i.e...

site:www.yourdomainname.co.uk

Also run the pages you have the 301 re-direct on through the header checker and make sure it's definitly passing a 301 and not a 302

http://www.seoconsul.../tools/headers/

Without knowing what type of site it is, or actually without looking at the code/structure its hard to say why its not ranking well.

You have checked all the usuals? Bad neighbourhoods linking to you / you linking to them? You haven't keyword spammed over optimised the pages too much? You are using good semantic markup? etc.. etc...

Edited by lee.n3o, 23 August 2007 - 02:27 PM.

#3 Brandon_Cstone

Brandon_Cstone

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

It looks like both versions exist in the SERP, but the old pages have now lost their descriptions, so I think Live is getting ready to remove them from the indexing. However, I'm concerned about the juice being passed to the new versions because I'm just not ranking well in Live for keywords that I really should be. I have very good markup IMO and we have definitely not spammed our keywords. Hopefully its just going to take a little time before we see the benefits. The new versions are much better.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users