• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tamar

tamar

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:33 PM

Anyone try the new Bloglines beta? It is available at http://beta.bloglines.com and I think it's pretty sweet. Google Reader now definitely has a contender.

Some reviews and highlights:
http://www.readwrite..._start_page.php
http://google.blogne...better-version/
and a shameless plug ... my own post:
http://lifehacker.co...ures-293739.php
(look at Cre8pc there in my screenshot!) :wacko:

#2 phaithful

phaithful

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

Wow... haven't touched BlogLines or NewsGator since I've moved to Google Reader. I'll definitely check out the beta though.

Thanks for the linky :cheers:

#3 tamar

tamar

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:56 PM

Well, this beta is brand new, and it aims to compete with Google Reader. I'd imagine that many Google Reader converts may flock back to Bloglines. I never went the Google Reader route, so I'm complacent and liking the new interface. :wacko:

#4 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13360 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:40 PM

It's juicy! Lots of web 2.0-ish stuff....could be fun. I already use Bloglines so this may be my future ;)

#5 Adrian

Adrian

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

Hmmm, so now the default is for posts to stay unread, rather for them to be set to read unless you specify to keep them?

Not keen on that.

That's about the only real functional change I can see. Otherwise it's been prettied up, and some of the organisational tools have been ajaxified, and I guess they were a little clunky before.

If they mess up my ability to quickly scan over lots of feeds though, they will do more to get rid of me as a user than anything Google Reader has produced so far.

#6 tamar

tamar

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

Hmmm, so now the default is for posts to stay unread, rather for them to be set to read unless you specify to keep them?

Adrian, I noticed that too. It works when you hover over the post, but not the other way. I actually had dinner with the GM of Bloglines last week at SES San Jose and have asked him about it. I can tell that it's a bit of a problem for many people.

#7 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:25 PM

All very pretty but that need to declare a feed has been read is a killer. With relief I've gone back to the standard. If that 'declare read' becomes the standard approach in the future then sadly Bloglines, which I have enjoyed over the years, will lose me. ;)

Edited by bwelford, 27 August 2007 - 09:26 PM.

#8 Adrian

Adrian

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:11 AM

It works when you hover over the post, but not the other way.

Yeah, reading a few feeds last night I became confused as some posts got marked read, and others didn't, and I didn't know why?!

The whole having to marks posts as read thing is somethign that bugged me about Google Reader. There were one or 2 other things as well, not biggies, but Bloglines fit my usage style much better. If they are now going to start using Google Reader style functionality, I may have to find another reader :)

#9 tamar

tamar

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

Both are available for now, and I imagine there's a learning curve (it's still very much in beta, after all). I find myself shifting between both the beta and the old version, but I'm awaiting feedback from the GM to see if there's a fix in play for the slight annoyance "marking as read" is causing you and me.

#10 Adrian

Adrian

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

I had a quick look over the forums and see there's various threads about the mark as read stuff.

I'll wait and see what happens, but for now I'm still pretty happy with the 'old' version.

Another thing, what's with the smaller text on the beta version? I'm sat looking at a computer screen all day long, the last thing I want when I'm trying to keep up with 80 or so feeds is smaller text that increases eye strain. Again, it's one of the things I quite like about the current version.

#11 tamar

tamar

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:13 PM

I hear that too. I'll try to find out. :)

#12 joedolson

joedolson

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Technical Administrators
  • 2902 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:23 PM

Both the small font and the "read" requirements are pretty big negatives for me...

Although the small font is pretty easily overcome - I'm not actually using the defaults for Google Reader, anyhow.

Stylish rocks! :)

#13 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13360 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:35 PM

Tamar has sent word that Bloglines has added more new functionality today...I'm off to check it out.

Here is a rundown from Bloglines - Personalization Preferences

(Note what the linked "web" goes to :))

Thanks for the heads up, Tamar!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users