4 replies to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2331 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:38 AM

:mr_rant: Hello All,
It's been quite some time that I haven't frequented these pages, so a big hello world to all that remain and to faces unknown.

I was conducting some research of the top "social networking" properties, the ones getting the eye-balls at the moment, and when I took a look through the advertising they were offering I was staggered to see that 3 years on it's

1: banners (flashy media or straightforward banner)
2: branding channels (maybe good for TV)
3: "customer research" carried out on the user base.
4: Adsense/Adwords contextual based ads.

I can't believe this is where we still are and that no-one has come up with a better model.

Help me friends give me strength that someone is doing something different, that isn't intrusive (take-overs!) and is getting results.

I was talking to a friend who said I spend $xxx,xxx on Google and I get $xxx,xxx return. So it's okay.

Who's building ethical model of advertising? (I know it's an oxymoron)

Glyn

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4456 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

Who's building ethical model of advertising?

Whose ethics?
Web advertising should:
* comply with appropriate legal and regulatory obligations (and thus the ethics of those bodies).
* comply with the ToS (and thus the ethics) of publishing sites.
* comply with the requirements (and thus the ethics) of the advertiser.
* comply with the expertise (including the ethos) of the designer(s).
* not overly offend (including ethically) the sensibilities of the target audience.
Note that being 'banned in Boston' or the equivalent can be great advertising leverage.

Help me friends give me strength that someone is doing something different, that isn't intrusive (take-overs!) and is getting results.

Of course most webmasters take the easy way: add some JS and join a program. Of course most advertisers go with what is 'known' regardless of actual ROI value. Of course the SEs want control and have been known to usurp advertisers and advertising methods. So, naturally the vast majority of the web advertises the same old way: it is easy, it is known, and it is what the SEs want.

However, yes, innovative advertising is being done. Increasingly well done. But usually with the landing pages/ads deliberately SE bot blocked. If you frequent such sites there are entire advertising sub-sites mixing text and image and multimedia in a mashup of the best of print, radio, TV, and console. While these sites rarely depend upon SE traffic they don't want to deliberately lose it either.

There is far more to the internet than is found in the SERPs.
There is increasingly more ad evolution beyond banners and contextual text/image delivery. Still it is rather like an easter egg hunt. :blink:
Will the new ad-mammals outlast the old ad-dinosaurs? Time will tell.

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:50 PM

I have nothing important to say other than

HI GLYN!

Where in the heck have you been????

:blink: :) :infinite-banana: :infinite-banana: :infinite-banana:

(nice to see an old friend drop by!)

#4 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2331 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:35 AM

Who's building ethical model of advertising?
Whose ethics?
Web advertising should:
* comply with appropriate legal and regulatory obligations (and thus the ethics of those bodies).
* comply with the ToS (and thus the ethics) of publishing sites.
* comply with the requirements (and thus the ethics) of the advertiser.
* comply with the expertise (including the ethos) of the designer(s).
* not overly offend (including ethically) the sensibilities of the target audience.
Note that being 'banned in Boston' or the equivalent can be great advertising leverage.

Yes you are absolutely right. It is not ethics I am talking about, but the term slipped out because it was frustrating to see what I classify of "unethical advertising" where I am forced to watch an ad that is not relevant to me in the slightest. You may say that I get that every day with TV, but with technology as it is I would expect something a little better.

There is far more to the internet than is found in the SERPs

Certainly so, and Social Networks I can't help but feel the SE's are getting a little nervous about how they are going to advertise in what can be "private view networks". I've also found companies that are providing people with code to put into their Facebooks so that the advertiser can serve banners and make the user money. So, it's just a way to circumvent the private view status and go back to what amazon has been doing for years but with links drawn from an advertising pool.

Here's another thing at the end of the day I question whether or not a person will get spooked if advertising is so targeted that the user is clicking on every add. Thought police of 1984?

When does targeted advertising become spooky?

Glyn

#5 jeffmolander

jeffmolander

New To Community

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:15 PM

What powers the exploding Web advertising and digital media industries? Consumersí rapid adoption of all things digital lit the match. Marketersí collective desire to chase them down within their newfound digital playground provided added fuel.

Indeed, as you point out, marketers are not reaping the lionís share of rewards. As time goes on, the Web and digital media seem increasingly complex, impossible to master. Business executives remain relatively confused, unclear and unknowing. How can this be?

A machine is at work behind the scenes. Run by the techno-elite (a.k.a. the online advertising industry) itís quietly walling off of vital knowledge in a knowledge-based world economy and simultaneous producing market demand for ignorance -- a complete Ignorance Economy. Not wanting to know is in high fashion among marketers and keeps the Ignorance Economyís ecosystem thriving.

"The whole advertising industry has caved into the 'science' of it allÖ" (source)

As time passes, marketersí instinctual urge to pioneer and practice in a realm they have no expertise in is yielding more frustration than benefits. Who reaps ALL the rewards and stifles true progress? That's right... the digital elite.

Indeed we're being retarded and ethics is constantly being called into question and mulled over -- sometimes by the insiders themselves!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users