• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Respree

Respree

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

On behalf of the moderating team, I am pleased to announce that EGOL has been appointed moderator for the Measuring Your Success forum, effective today.

He brings with him a strong analytic background and understanding of web metrics, along with many other areas of expertise.

We look forward to your opening 'monster' post in this forum, to kick things off. (just kidding, no pressure)

Please join me in welcoming him aboard.

Congratulations, EGOL. :cheers:

Edited by Respree, 19 September 2007 - 06:32 PM.

#2 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

Great news, EGOL.

I've really appreciated your posts on analytics and measuring success.

Thanks for agreeing to moderate that section.

:cheers:

#3 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

Aye, Well done, EGOL :applause:

#4 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

Wow, what a good match! Congratulations, EGOL!

John

#5 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13515 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

This area is so hot right now and I have tons to learn. I'm very excited EGOL has accepted this role :)

Welcome Professor! :disco2:

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5412 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:24 PM

First, I need to start by saying that I am not an expert in this area. However, I do run analytics on my websites more than is legally allowed. Every night at midnight my server publishes a new log and I have it on ClickTracks before ten minutes after. I also use WebLogExpert for a few things that clicktracks is not good at watching. I am also a CrazyEgg junky.

To sum up my experience and education here, I use low level analytics a lot and can discuss those topics - such as figuring out where your traffic is coming from and coarse measures of user engagement. However, I don't do much of the higher level analytics and would refer you to more experienced people.

I think that everyone should run analytics on their site at least once in a while. It can help you understand your visitors and what they do on your site. I joke that I am a sixty-year-old nerdy white guy who is trying to guess what a diverse population of visitors are doing on his sites. The only thing that I can do is guess so I run analytics to get at the truth. What I think or what "experts preach" matters a lot less to me than how my visitors engage my site.

If you are an SEO you should learn to understand what the different streams of traffic bring to your site. Some of them are valuable and some of them are not. After you identify the valuable traffic then you can decide what is worth building links into.

If you are a designer and help people improve their sites, adding a service of testing the new design would be great. A new design should improve engagement. Working together with the site owner and an analytics person (if you don't have those skills yourself) would be a great service to your client. And, you all will learn a lot.

If you already have a successful site, and are not doing analytics then you could be leaving a lot of money on the table. It is quite possible that small changes to your site will double your income - and that might be a lot easier than doubling your traffic.

OK.... that's about all I can post tonight. But I look forward to seeing what gets posted here and contributing as my abilities and time allow.

#7 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

And he's humble, too. :)

Congrats and welcome "home", EGOL
:applause:

Statistics ahoy, mateys

Yo ho ho and a bottle of analytics!

#8 Ruud

Ruud

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 4887 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:46 PM

Most excellent news! Thank you for accepting the position and sharing your knowledge, understanding and experience. That is really kind.

#9 Guest_joedolson_*

Guest_joedolson_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:58 PM

I have to admit that when I saw this announcement, my first thought was that there was some bug afloat in the forum which was claiming old posts were new...it took me awhile to get my head wrapped around the idea that you hadn't been moderating Measuring Your Success for ages!

Anyhow, I'm _confident_ it's the right place for your skills...partially, because I thought you were already there, of course!

Congrats on making my delusions reality!

#10 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9007 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:05 PM

That's great news, Egol. I'm sure this Forum will go from strength to strength. As people realize that old-fashioned SEO (I want to be #1 on Google) doesn't deliver the goods, then they'll be looking to understand how they can really make their websites perform.

#11 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

Well chosen. Congrats.

#12 yannis

yannis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1634 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:28 AM

Simply, best choice! Congratulations Egol!

Yannis

#13 send2paul

send2paul

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2905 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:52 AM

Brilliant Egol ;)

You've got a very logical brain and online experience to match it up. I've seen some great discussions you've taken part in and thought to myself whilst I've been reading it - "Yeah - that makes sense" or "I'm going to have to try that!"

Congratulations once again.

Paul

#14 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:07 AM

I have to admit that when I saw this announcement, my first thought was that there was some bug afloat in the forum which was claiming old posts were new...it took me awhile to get my head wrapped around the idea that you hadn't been moderating Measuring Your Success for ages!

Me, too.

It seems so natural for EGOL to be here. ;)

#15 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:08 AM

Excellent news indeed! Congrats EGOL.

Pierre

#16 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:35 AM

Brilliant choice... Well done fella ;-)

#17 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:37 AM

:kicking: Way to go, Egol!!!

This is an excellent choice. Egol has the level-headed approach I'm betting makes for a perfect moderator. Wonderful!
Miriam

#18 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:42 AM

Good choice. Trust we'll see some really positive stuff. ;)

Daz

#19 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3797 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:16 AM

Couldn't ask for better! You people snag all the great ones. :)

#20 swainzy

swainzy

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3318 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

How'd I miss this thread! Better late than never. Congrats EGOL! :applause:

Nice going. Yes, you have always struck me as completely logical and practical. Traits I admire. Go EGOL! :infinite-banana:

#21 randfish

randfish

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:33 AM

Congrats, EGOL - They couldn't have picked someone better. It's great to see that you've really made a home for yourself here at Cre8.

#22 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5412 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:30 PM

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and support. I hope to live up to your kind words.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users