Brave? No dear maiden... that is not bravery... merely the gift of ignorance makes me impervious to fear
Well, as we seem to be using some martial terms...
I never suggest for strategy, as all battles are different, (thus the standard battle routines and unit formations for site based improvments => tactics).
I tend to apply the same business principals as for warfare though (as lets face, you are to conquor the market and win the wealth of visistors and their money
Know they enemies - Thats right - you have multiples...
* The initial/obvious are the competitors. Look at the successfull ones, and then the less successfull ones - mark down the differences.
This will give you valuable intelligence on how they work and how they respond to a given situation.
* The less obvious yet potentially more fatal enemies are lack of resources, lack of food and lack of will (client based information, user based information and money).
Make sure that your army (site) will march with leadership, not march blind and won't starve before/during or after the battle!
Know where the battle is to take place...
* The "lay of the land" is highly important - the highground has many advantages, but so do swamps and rocky fields!
So, you need to know what market sector you are tacklingand how it has behaved in the past/recently.
This will give you a good idea as to what units to deploy and how best to use them (advertising methods, contacts, associations, link-building etc.).
Know when to make war - Timming is important...
* It doesn't all have to happen at the same time. Deployment of scouts and skirmishers can greatly improve chaces of a success, (using certain marketing techniques in advance can get more support and remove a few ofthe enemy).
* Knowing when to make the major push and when to regroup will be more efficient and save your army unnecessary losses, (know when to really push PPC and Link Adverts, and when not too!).
So, not particularly "Strategies", but standards and methods to conduct a more successful "campaign" in general
Sorry - I couldn't resist.
Edited by Autocrat, 05 October 2007 - 05:15 AM.