Moving Site From To New IP
Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:25 AM
I am moving my site to new IP. It is large database driven site. I am looking for more case studies from you guuys I am taking following steps:
1. x'fer my DNS to new IP
2. replicate my DB and moving my file structure to new server
3. shorting up my current TTL.
4. now once DNS change propogates I put my old site as it is for a month or so
Now making sure all broken links as well and no URL duplication will be there.
This are the basic steps now I need to include following steps where I need your guidence:
1. adding 301 redirect from old IP (220.127.116.11) to new IP (18.104.22.168) in .htaccess
2. adding 301 redirect from 22.214.171.124 to 126.96.36.199 for internal pages as well for example:
http://188.8.131.52/abc/path.html to http://184.108.40.206/abc/path.html
so is it worth to do it or not and I wanted to knw reasons as i m new bie to this and someone else has suggested me below shown 2 steps.
Also if anyone has done this in past pls tell me following:
1. has any affect you have seen in SEs traffick especially from google.
2. any PR changes
thnks in advance.
Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:55 AM
I assume your server is accessible through a domain name (eg "www.domain.com"), correct?
If so, what you need to do is really quite simple:
- move the site's content / scripts / databases to the new server
- once it's running, update the DNS "A-record" to point to the new server
- wait a bit (say a week or so) to make sure that everyone has the new IP
- unplug the old server
You do not have to do any redirects at all, just update the DNS records and the users (and search engines) will automatically get the new IP and access the server there. Search engines do not need anything else.
Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:09 AM
still i need to see some case studies ll there b any traffic drop or not ?
Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:08 AM
Be careful with things like that :-).
Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:20 AM
thnks for your help...i knw people wont use IP this is always concerned to SEs. As i knw keeping my TTL will let them knw to access new IP now as mine DNS will be propogated within 72 hrs.
but thing still concern to me is traffic changes or any other issues with SEs.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users