• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 az266

az266

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:22 AM

For my estate agency website, I have a bounce rate of under 9%, my customers spend about 6 minutes each on the website and return frequently for many months. Yet, 75% of my visitors are new according to Google Analytics - this seems wrong.

I would have thought that new visitors should be about 50% or less? What do other people find as reasonable on their sites? I think that the Analytics cookie lasts 1 month but many people delete their cookies so how would this impact the results?

#2 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:44 AM

The most obvious explanation guesstimate would be that visitors learn most of the information on their first visit and move on to better sites or become your customers.

On the other hand, Javascript tracking scripts (including Google Analytics) do report less than real for two major reasons:
- if the page isn't fully loaded with the script, it won't show the visitor
- it doesn't show fake visitors from bots, scrapers, spammers, etc, who don't load the pages

It'd be interesting to hear someone with real, proven web tracking experience, too.

#3 hitechsol

hitechsol

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:09 AM

The # of visitors shown in Google Analytics and any other analytics tool are just an approximation. They are fairly good at telling you about a trend and no more than that. So, do not take the numbers as seriously. Rather, keep a close eye on the visitor trends over an extended period of time and then make your judgments on how the website traffic is behaving and what changes to make.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users