Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Site Now Complete - SEO On Keywords Where Do I Start?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GAViN

GAViN

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:33 AM

Ok so have now got our work website up and running at long last.
MD is looking at a list of keywords to help find us on google.

On google webmaster tools I have submitted the sitemap.xml, added the URL of the site to dmoz, and of course to google.

The pages of the site have meta descriptions, keywords implemenented into the HTML

Have to say I am new to SEO completely, so what would be the next stages to do?

I know someones immediate reply to this will be do a search for SEO on the forum, there are hundreds of posts , and some irrelevant.

Am really looking for help on the next step(s)

Thanks!

#2 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1878 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:11 AM

The problem here is that you have approached the design from the wrong direction (a bit late now I know).

Each page needs to have a unique title that includes the keywords for that page. Write a description for the snippet (no SEO benefit BTW). Make sure the main header repeats the keywords and describes the contents of the page. Write interesting and informative copy that builds on the page title and header.

Use descriptive anchor text in the links to provide relevance.

But most important of all, make the site appear natural. If you need a new page to cover a new topic then werite a new page. Do not try to force keywords into the existing text.

It might be worth leaving the site for now and doing some brainstorming to link together some of those keywords. Do some creative writing that will attract visitors, try to imagine how a visitor searching for a solution would be helped by your site, consider the search terms they would use and make sure they are in the page title, header and copy.

Not rocket science I know but it's the sort of thing you should do before you build the site.

I'm sure that many other will be along soon to add their own viewpoints. And it really is worth reading the pinned topics at the top of the forum - they cover just about all the basics.

#3 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9003 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:01 PM

fisicx has given you most of the right answers, GAViN. His emphasis on thinking about visitors to the website is perhaps the most important element in his answer.

His answer may cause you some problems or perhaps not. In either case, it is worth thinking about adding a business blog as a complement to your website. This can support an ongoing dialogue with your customers. It also allows you to add extra links to particularly important Web pages on the website. This can be an important function within your SEO program

#4 Respree

Respree

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:04 PM

I'd say the next step is identifying what keywords to target. You will often have choices to make. Rather than 'guess' what 'you' think people would be searching for, I would perform some analytical research to 'see' what people 'are' searching for.

There are many tools out there to help you ascertain potential demand. Here is one of them.

http://www.keyworddiscovery.com/

For others, search 'keyword research tool.'

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users