19 replies to this topic

#1 kichus

kichus

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:51 PM

Hi

In the index page for the cre8asite Forum I see a text saying 'Welcome back, your last visit was... '. I always take it as 'Welcome back, your last LOGIN was...' and I assume I am Logged in. :) I start writing a reply to a thread and end up with the login request page and miss the post.

Is that only me or....??? :search: Is that a Usability issue? I don't know... could be that I am still not so familiar with the interface... :)

If I sound odd, please do ignore. :violin:

#2 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:31 PM

It is visit rather than login, and seeing it doesn't mean that you are logged in, but I think that you are right that it has the potential to be confusing.

It is a standard part of the Invision Power Board software that we are using, rather than something that we implemented or added. I'm wondering if it's confusing to others, too.

I can usually tell whether I'm logged in or not because I use one of the custom skins for the forums, which I only see when logged in. I wonder if using those custom skins keep some people from being confused by that message.

#3 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

The skin definitely helps, esp if it is completely different from the default one (mine is Cre8 Blues Liquid (Import), the default one is Orange Fixed, as far as I recall).

Why do people need to be reminded when they have last visited the website? I don't really see how it is important.

It might help about the last login time to inject guilt and smth else into the member's mind, but other than that, what's the use of it?

#4 kichus

kichus

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for the responds mates... appreciated.

It is visit rather than login, and seeing it doesn't mean that you are logged in, but I think that you are right that it has the potential to be confusing.

Yes Bill, AFAIT it is confusing, at least for me.

About others, I am not too sure and since we are not heard from anyone yet, this text is less noticed I guess.

And I agree with Yuri, upon the usage of such text. I would like to know a notification on my last Login rather than my last visit (not so authenticated). Of course for using the skins will help us to differentiate but am not sure how many are using them. (where can I find that? in the control panel, I think i missed it).

Edited by kichus, 27 November 2007 - 10:20 PM.

#5 holga

holga

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:47 PM

I never even noticed it myself ....

#6 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:50 PM

Why do people need to be reminded when they have last visited the website? I don't really see how it is important.

It's a part of the forum software that we are using, and it's a standard part of that software. I'm not sure why they felt that was important to include it, and I'm not sure how big of an issue it is, but every modification that we make has the potential to make upgrades to newer versions of that software potentially more difficult.

Of course for using the skins will help us to differentiate but am not sure how many are using them. (where can I find that? in the control panel, I think i missed it).

There's a dropdown at the bottom left of most pages that will let you choose different skins. You won't see it on a reply page, but it's there when you look at the main forums page, or are reading a thread.

#7 kichus

kichus

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:14 PM

It's a part of the forum software that we are using, and it's a standard part of that software. I'm not sure why they felt that was important to include it, and I'm not sure how big of an issue it is, but every modification that we make has the potential to make upgrades to newer versions of that software potentially more difficult.

If this is a hectic hack to override, or not so big the issue is, we can ignore this. I just raised the issue since I felt it a little confusing, that's all. ;-)

There's a dropdown at the bottom left of most pages that will let you choose different skins. You won't see it on a reply page, but it's there when you look at the main forums page, or are reading a thread.

Thanks... :woohoo:

Edited by kichus, 27 November 2007 - 11:15 PM.

#8 yannis

yannis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1634 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

If you bookmark this page rather than the home page and you enable the remember me field, you will never have to login again. Be aware that some 'skins' display differently the posts and they can be confusing.

Yannis

PS Can we have a new skin competition?

#9 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:47 AM

Let's see if we can address your problem, because frankly, now I'm confused at your confusion.

When you return to Cre8asite, if you are not logged in, directly above the "Your last visit.." message, it should say "Welcome _____."

The blank is either "Guest" or your username (e.g. "Welcome kichus").

"Guests" may not post. So if you returned to the forums and were 'not' logged in, you should not have even been able to start to reply to a thread.

So that's were I'm getting confused, when you said "I start writing a reply to a thread and end up with the login request page and miss the post."

If you are already logged in when you return, posting should not be a problem.

Why don't you simply check the "Remember Me," in the login page to avoid the problem?

#10 kichus

kichus

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:13 AM

When you return to Cre8asite, if you are not logged in, directly above the "Your last visit.." message, it should say "Welcome _____."

In both cases I am seeing, 'Welcome back; your last visit was: Today, HH:MM AM/PM'. No name/guest is displayed.

I am not talking about the Welcome note when you immediately see after your login, but the text which is getting displayed in the forum main page.

"Guests" may not post. So if you returned to the forums and were 'not' logged in, you should not have even been able to start to reply to a thread.

So that's were I'm getting confused, when you said "I start writing a reply to a thread and end up with the login request page and miss the post."

This is weird. At that Time I was able to click on the 'fast reply' button and could type the reply in the text area. This may only happens once in a decade, so not a big usability issue.

My best guess is, I would have unchecked the 'remember me' option, and that made my session expired. wild guess.

Again, sorry if I confused you. I am just started to be engaged here so I may take time to get familiar with the layout options. What I was pointing in this thread is, that text is confusing and I more care to know when was my last Login instead of visit. Hope you know, why.

#11 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 2065 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:37 AM

Why would anyone log out?

Removing the welcome message wouldn't require a hack; we could just remove it from the skins. I, for one, would miss it, though. I'm in and out of the forums half a dozen times every day and seeing a time stamp for my last visit helps me correlate new posts.

#12 kichus

kichus

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:58 AM

Why would anyone log out?

because I may be using my office machine/ or a public machine.

If you could use that text area for alerting the Guests (not signed in) say 'You are not signed in and if you do you may find more interesting stuffs'. Since I see the same text for signed in and signed out status, i went confused.

Now I got it right. I posted what I experienced, just thinking that may help.

Thanks for hearing...

#13 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:57 AM

This is weird. At that Time I was able to click on the 'fast reply' button and could type the reply in the text area. This may only happens once in a decade, so not a big usability issue.

This is wierd. There is no "Fast Reply" button available for a Guest. There is an "Add Reply" button available to a Guest, but it doesn't take them to a page where they can actually add a reply. It takes them to a page that says you must log in to reply. So, once again, I'm confused as to how you could have 'lost' a post you wrote, when you weren't logged in.

In both cases I am seeing, 'Welcome back; your last visit was: Today, HH:MM AM/PM'. No name/guest is displayed.

Look directly above this (Welcome back message). Does it say "Logged in as: kichus ( Log Out )?" If so, you're logged in and should have no problems posting.

The thing about usability is that, ultimately, it rarely can be all things to all people. You have your reasons for not wanting to see it, just as Ron has his reasons for wanting to see it. If you can please most of the people most of the time, I think that's the best one can hope for.

Edited by Respree, 28 November 2007 - 03:04 AM.

#14 kichus

kichus

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:49 AM

So, once again, I'm confused as to how you could have 'lost' a post you wrote, when you weren't logged in.

Suppose, I logged in, without checking the 'Remember Me' option. I stayed at inactive for quite some time. Will my session get expired automatically? I guess that is what happened to me. I am extremely sorry to say that, I am unable to recall what was the situation. It seems the only fault I did was started this thread and bothered you all.

#15 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:34 AM

No worries, kichus.

Your session will not time out. As long as you don't close your browser, you'll continue to be logged in.

We'll just chalk it off to a minor mystery (one I won't lose any sleep over). :)

#16 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:10 AM

Btw, Kichus, I believe you don't need to logout to use more than one computer. I use my home computer and a work one (busted!) and they are both logged in permanently at the moment.

I don't mind the message, I just didnt know the reasons for people to use it. I guess Ron is a good example whom the message helps, though.

#17 ccera

ccera

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

Raise your hand if you just logged out for the first time in months to test this. Posted Image

<_<

Kichus, the last visit message used to disturb me for a different reason when not logged in. The time it listed (I guess because of time zone settings) used to be an hour before the time I opened the window. Now I have discovered that it is the time of opening the window. Except that the board time is about 3 minutes ahead of my computer, so it says I last visited 3 minutes AFTER my current visit. :) This usually doesn't matter since I stay logged in, but is sort of weird.

For those who know, is it possible for the software to "remember" the user without being told to, but require re-authentication before allowing a post? Your answers above sound like it's not, but it seems that is the situation Kichus is describing. Could session handling be browser-dependent in any way?

CiCi :)

#18 kichus

kichus

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:20 PM

For those who know, is it possible for the software to "remember" the user without being told to, but require re-authentication before allowing a post? Your answers above sound like it's not, but it seems that is the situation Kichus is describing. Could session handling be browser-dependent in any way?

I tested this today again... After logged in I opened this thread and kept it inactive for more than an hour... and I could see the fast reply button and typed a message and 'Add reply' it went to the Login page... So please confirm... is that only me...???

#19 ccera

ccera

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:47 PM

That sounds like a setting on your browser is forcing the session to expire. Which browser are you using?
Maybe until you can find the problem you should try refreshing your page before replying to be sure you are still logged in. That won't actually solve the problem :(, just keep you from having to retype.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you find a more permanent solution.

Good Luck!

CiCi :)

#20 kichus

kichus

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

I use Firefox 2.0.0.10. I am not sure whether that is a browser issue... Anyway my initial concern was not about this factor, I confirmed this after reading Respree.

My question was about the 'Welcome message', I prefer 'Welcome back, your last Login....' whenever I log in and a 'You are not currently Logged in...' warning whenever I do visit here as a Guest. I think that's teh way it should work.. Or it could be me...

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users