29 replies to this topic

#1 lumpy55

lumpy55

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:14 AM

Soooo...

You've heard it before. You've seen it before. But has anyone ever admitted it?

Yep, put a slew of Google adsense ads on my websites (3) 30 days ago (to the day)

Cheated like hell, and got booted.

Now before you say how idiots like me deserve it; how dumbarses like me are screwing it up for everybody; blah, blah, blah... Look in the mirror, because I highly doubt there's one single publisher standing that didn't have somebody click, or go to a different computer, or didn't somehow, some way, at some minuscule level, cheat. But I'm sure some will get their tiny little anonymous cyberkicks out of beating a dead horse, so be it. Man up.

Here's what I did - just so the other idiots like me may learn.

I didn't take long, and it didn't take much.

History. 30 days (exact). 20,000 pageviews (rounded). 2,000 clicks (rounded). $475.00 to date. 3 websites combined, avg. 175 unique visitors/day. Avg. $16.00 a day. No big deal I'm a thinkin'.

Put 3 ad boxes on 100 pages or so, total. I made it tough for a visitor to navigate his way out of the page (small "home" button). I was thinking they may click on an ad or something to try to get out.

I never, ever clicked on an ad from the computer I logged into adsense with. Ever, not once. Not anybody's Adsense ad. INot any computer in the house. In fact, I only clicked ads a few times over the 30 days from friends computers, maybe 20 clicks total. You know, hey Joe, can I borrow your computer to check my e-mails? haha.

I had 3 Homies in three different States across the country clicking 5 - 10 clicks a day each, the rest were natural from web traffic. Seemed perfectly normal for a bookmarked page to get a few clicks from the same 3, right? Seemed normal to me. I do it on other sites....

All ads went white - I still haven't received the e-mail, but I am locked out of logging into Adsense.

Just so somebody might actually stop, and think before you try it. I read about all the holy roller cyber freaks that said don't cheat it (but what do those skinny necked, pocket penciled geeks really know). I read about ip trackers, Google bombing (which I'm going to do to a competitor next, see if I can't get him locked out), and about a hundred articles on how you will get caught. Ya' know, must've been that thick skulled brain of mine that went temporarily insane for 30 days thinkin' I could somehow, someway scam the system.

A couple things I did notice. When any of the Homies hit the clicks, the avg ppc went down to sub .10. If regular traffic was hitting it, I could have 25 clicks for $10. My Homie's 30 clicks would be worth less than half that. I can also say, right up until the moment a pink box showed up and said "your payment is in hold status", or something like that, everything was just perfect. Once the pink box showed up, it was minutes later the websites ads went white.

Word to the wise - really - take it from a greedy idiot

Big Brother IS watching

**UPDATE** I got the e-mail from Google. I'll post it in a reply to this thread, not here...

Edited by lumpy55, 29 November 2007 - 04:32 PM.

#2 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:19 AM

I'm a Limey, so forgive my lack of knowledge but what on earth is a "homie".... ???

#3 lumpy55

lumpy55

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:21 AM

Homie: websters N, somebody that will do your dirty work for you, a friend, an associate

#4 holga

holga

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:21 AM

Daz, I believe a "homie" is a friend or mate, in "gangsta" language.

Edited by holga, 28 November 2007 - 06:23 AM.

#5 lumpy55

lumpy55

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:23 AM

By the way, thanks for being the first person to reply and not call me an idiot! All after the first reply don't count....

#6 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13527 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:26 AM

greedy idiot

The only thing worse than a "greedy idiot" is one who believes everyone else is one too.

Your post outlines for everyone what not to do and assumes that everyone who uses AdSense plays the system.

I must be the real idiot because gaming the system just never occurred to me.

#7 yannis

yannis

Sonic Boom Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1634 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:11 AM

If I hear you correctly the genuine clicks were plus minus worth $300 or so. I personally think you are in the minority in that you wanted to beat the system. If you would have put your 'homies' to help you build content and links maybe the traffic would have been up and hit the $450 in any case.

I think its great you came out here and told us about it as there is a lesson to be learnt. Come in afterhours and introduce yourself and give us some more details about your work.

Yannis

#8 sally@cc

sally@cc

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:24 AM

I just wanted to say thank you for your honesty, it takes a brave person to stand up and say I did it wrong but want to warn others.

I am quite new to this forum but within 24 hours got the message loud and clear, be honest and be genuine with Big Brother. However I do appreciate your re-inforcement of this message.

Sally

#9 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:31 PM

ooohhhhh its "gangsta".... ah well at 34 I must be getting old!

Daz

#10 lumpy55

lumpy55

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:21 PM

[

The only thing worse than a "greedy idiot" is one who believes everyone else is one too

Hmmmmm, let's see....

Rather odd you're in adsense, and not for the money......

You must be the only one! Rather "worse" I'd say...

#11 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13527 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:32 PM

We don't participate in AdSense here, after the latest fiasco with "nofollow" and paid links. AdSense doesn't play well with other types of advertising and when you're trying earn money, why limit yourself to just Google?

As to gaming the system, to each their own. Every time someone exploits page rank/link pop or falsely inflates ad clicks, search engines turn around and slap new rules to tighten the noose. In the case of Google, they've been so annoying that many people are moving on.

Question is, what else works and is "easy" money?

PS - Our revenue here has been donated to support education in the Search Marketing industry, so if we're "greedy", it's been for a good cause.

#12 JohnMu

JohnMu

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:00 PM

Cheating Adsense is absolutely a bad idea.

Kim, seeing that you've dropped Adsense here, how about starting a donation drive? Seeing that the money is being put to good use, I'm sure lots of people would love to give you all a little end-of-year donation. :)

John

#13 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:00 PM

Huh?

Well, when I was a kid and my grandparents came to visit, my grandfather used to dole out quarters for having cleaned in unusual places. Don't get any ideas, bucko. I'm talking about under my bed, behind my desk, odd corners of the closet.

#14 kensplace

kensplace

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1497 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:10 PM

I have clicked my own adsense ads before, by mistake..

But emailed google to tell them I did it by mistake, and they were fine.

I wish you could click your own ads from time to time, if they know your i.p address they should be able to discount those clicks,
after all, if you run a site about a topic, you are most likely highly interested in that topic (unless your just creating spam adsense sites) so therefore a ideal canditate for the ads on your own site.

I have lost count of the number of sites that missed out on a visit because I cant click on my own ads, and they didnt put in a visible url I could type in on the ad.........

#15 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13527 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:16 PM

Kim, seeing that you've dropped Adsense here, how about starting a donation drive?

ooooh, I have plans, trust me! :angel:

#16 rynert

rynert

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

I have clicked my own adsense ads before, by mistake..

But emailed google to tell them I did it by mistake, and they were fine.

I wish you could click your own ads from time to time, if they know your i.p address they should be able to discount those clicks,
after all, if you run a site about a topic, you are most likely highly interested in that topic (unless your just creating spam adsense sites) so therefore a ideal canditate for the ads on your own site.

I have lost count of the number of sites that missed out on a visit because I cant click on my own ads, and they didnt put in a visible url I could type in on the ad.........

I echo that - always wandered why they could not just ignore clicks by my IP address, make my life easier!

Rather odd you're in adsense, and not for the money......

You must be the only one! Rather "worse" I'd say...

Not what Kim said - you can run Adsense - for the money - and stay within the guidelines provided by Google....

#17 lumpy55

lumpy55

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

We don't participate in AdSense here, after the latest fiasco with "nofollow" and paid links. AdSense doesn't play well with other types of advertising and when you're trying earn money, why limit yourself to just Google?

As to gaming the system, to each their own. Every time someone exploits page rank/link pop or falsely inflates ad clicks, search engines turn around and slap new rules to tighten the noose. In the case of Google, they've been so annoying that many people are moving on.

PS - Our revenue here has been donated to support education in the Search Marketing industry, so if we're "greedy", it's been for a good cause.

Well... "easy money" exists I'm sure, just not with Adsense and me! I hear of people raking it in, the lure of easy money, sounds too good to be true and I'm sure most, if not all can relate, but! you can't win the lottery, unless you bought a ticket. Can't play in the NFL without a football, ya' know?

Seems to me, if they have the means to track all illegal click fraud, I wonder why they don't "devalue" the extra clicks, or ip's, or however it's being done... That would stop any type of cheating in its tracks. It would just be a matter of time before all click fraud would end. Game over. No need to do it, it's "devalued". Even I can see (and I have no crystal ball) Google is losing business to competitors over Adsense and Adwords.

Good luck with your Search Marketing Project - maybe you'll develop the first fool-proof program out there that doesn't kick everyone to the curb, deserving or not. Now, that would be "easy money"!

Lumpy55

Edited by lumpy55, 28 November 2007 - 10:05 PM.

#18 lumpy55

lumpy55

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:15 PM

Not what Kim said - you can run Adsense - for the money - and stay within the guidelines provided by Google....

Let's say you have an over zealous buddy... or some enemy... or your ex-wife ... anybody that clicks your ads on your website you publish.

You're out! And there's not a damn person you can talk to. Other than an appeal, that maybe you can win - 'till that "somebody hits you again! You're out!

And better yet, YOU get the e-mail saying YOU didn't abide by the rules and comitted click fraud or illegal clicks.

In my case, I'm guilty - but I can see a whole bigger problem than my bogus clicks

#19 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 2063 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

In my case, I'm guilty - but I can see a whole bigger problem than my bogus clicks

Of course you can. You essentially killed the goose that, over time, could have laid a whole lot of little golden eggs for you. It's only natural you would want to justify that in your own mind. You want it to be their problem, not yours.

Good luck with that. ;)

#20 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2060 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:53 AM

.. or some enemy... or your ex-wife ... anybody that clicks your ads on your website you publish.

I hear what that says. Add a competitor to that list.

I've read about it happening where a a competitor pays someone to cost you lots of money on your adwords. No fault of the publisher of course. Wonder how that is handled?

I guess a malicious person could cost you your adsense account too. There are people like that.
Wonder how that is handled too?

#21 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:10 AM

I have to agree with Kim and John here...'gaming' adsense seems like a poor idea to me.

Actually, I'll be so honest about this, you'll laugh. I once accidentally got my sleeve stuck on the edge of my desk, and in wrenching my arm away, clicked an ad on one of my websites. I felt really stupid, and wrote to Google immediately telling them what happened. They were quite nice about it...said to not let it happen again if I could help it.

I appreciate the opportunities adsense provides and don't want my ability to use it to go away.

Interesting, post, though ;)
Miriam

#22 tam

tam

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2043 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:14 AM

It's not just cheating, it's stealing. That cash you're getting doesn't come from no where. It's come from people like me and many other members of the forum - and you stole it. We paid for a service and instead of getting it, you took the money instead.

It might not seem like it because we're talking about numbers on a computer screen or clicking a mouse but it's exactly the same as if we'd handed over cash to you for a dvd or chocolate bar in a shop and instead of putting it in the till it went in your pocket and we got nothing in exchange.

I don't think you're an idiot I think you're a thief.

Edited by tam, 29 November 2007 - 02:59 AM.

#23 lumpy55

lumpy55

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:02 AM

Of course you can. You essentially killed the goose that, over time, could have laid a whole lot of little golden eggs for you. It's only natural you would want to justify that in your own mind. You want it to be their problem, not yours.

Back up Mr. Michigan fan (go Ohio State!).... "It's only natural" is in your mind, not mine. I had no natural intent on keeping it between the lines, not even for a second. And, I may add.... I don't need word play either. I don't "want" it to be "their" problem, I completely understand that it is "my" problem. What I don't "want" (for the reason I posted here in the first place), is for some other dumbarse like me to do the same thing. If I had read a similar story like this one on some thread somewhere during my initial Due Diligence, I most probably (bet on it) wouldn't have even tried to burn Google Adsense knowing a ton of work (copy, paste on hundreds of pages) would've went down the drain. Hindsight is 20/20. I should've spent my time learning scripts, or getting more backlinks, or anything but what I did. All I read about was secretive numbers, nobodies allowed to talk or you'll get TOS'd by Google, cpm, ctr and a whole bunch of people that said "I didn't do anything wrong!!!" - "They stole my money!" - "I haven't the faintest clue as to why the kicked me out..."

Nothing, not a single word about how somebody cheated and lost - I looked. I notice while I'm writing at this very moment, 5 Anonymous users are reading this topic. Anonymous, go figure.

Where's Woody when you need him?

I don't think you're an idiot I think you're a thief.

Hmmm. First of all, I didn't receive (I before E, except after C) a penny. Zip, Zero, Nada...

The intent was there (doesn't make it better), but no money for the troubles.... Google "said" they're going to pay back the advertisers.

I could never figure it, until now why they would charge me my budget every month ($600), then credit back my Adword account almost a third of that every month.

I figure now it must've been the click fraud against my Adword Campaigns (funny, I never said a word when they made deposits...)

#24 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13527 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:05 AM

I notice while I'm writing at this very moment, 5 Anonymous users are reading this topic. Anonymous, go figure.

Moderator note: These forums are open to Guests. There is no need to register to read threads; only to post.

#25 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2060 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:49 PM

forums are open to Guests. There is no need to register to read threads; only to post.

Said it once before. These forums looks intimidating at first. I lurked for about a year befor registering. :)

They are believe me.

#26 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2060 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:20 PM

It's not just cheating, it's stealing

Dunno but stealing sounds a bit harsh. Cheating the game is what was done. It is a game after all. Google's game and their rules.

A thief can get prosecuted and could go to jail and not collect 200 dollars. A cheat gets thrown out of the game. No illegal act was committed.

Let's face it, we all know there is "cheating" going on in the SEO world (as in many others). When you take out Adwords you know there will be fraud and plan accordingly. When you plan a building project you expect to have to hand out "gifts" or take someone to an expensive lunch or golfing at a very exclusive club. Part of doing business. Who pays for that? Shareholders, me and you by taxes that will not be paid to the governments.

from people like me and many other members of the forum - and you stole it. We paid for a service and instead of getting it

Technically speaking you paid for a click and got it. Google decided it was a fraud and kicked the cheat out and gave back the money. Of course they do not catrch them all.

There is a good lesson in this thread. Someone came out and said it loud and clear.

#27 lumpy55

lumpy55

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

Moderator note: These forums are open to Guests. There is no need to register to read threads; only to post.

That's how I decided to post here! Informative, easy to find, with lots of users....

Speaking of....

I noticed when I signed up, I had to create another e-mail address because it said that my e-mail was already being used. I couldn't find a way to retrieve my username by e-mail address, only retrieve my password by user name. I haven't been here in a few years, but I remembered the name of the forum (Cre8), just not my username...

Is there a function to retrieve username by e-mail? Or was I too blind to see it

Thanks in advance for your help

#28 lumpy55

lumpy55

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

So here it is.... Arrived one day after the account was locked out and I couldn't log in. The e-mail they say they're replying too was right before the end of the account, a little pink box showed up on my dashboard telling me the account needed attention and to "click for details", which sent me to a form field where you are asked your name, e-mail, stuff like that and push "submit". Immediately after pushing submit, nothing on the account worked. Then just seconds later the website pages started going white - fast! For a few minutes I didn't understand what was happening, but since I had bad intent, it didn't take long to figure out. I could see where someone with nothing but good intent, could get broadsided right there in that moment.

Here's the e-mail...

Hello, Thanks for contacting Google AdSense. This is an automated reply to let you know that we've received your email.

Due to our high email volumes, we're unable to respond personally to this particular message. For this reason, rather than reply to this message, we kindly ask that you read below for more information about invalid clicks. - If your account has been disabled for invalid click activity, please visit https://www.google.c...py?answer=57153 for more information, including a link to our online appeal form. If you've already submitted an appeal form and are waiting to hear back, we thank you for your patience while we evaluate your account.

- If your account is currently active and you've received a notification about invalid clicks or impressions on your ads, please visit https://www.google.c...py?answer=62472 for more information.

- For any other AdSense-related issues, we recommend searching for more information at our Help Center at http://www.google.com/adsense/support .

- For any issues related to other Google products or services, please visit Google's Help page at http://www.google.com/support .

We also recommend checking your email inboxes for any messages we may have sent you recently. Sometimes our messages can be caught by email filters, so please be sure to check the Bulk/Spam folders of your email accounts as well.

Sincerely,

The Google AdSense Team

#29 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:38 PM

:offtopic:

I noticed when I signed up, I had to create another e-mail address because it said that my e-mail was already being used. I couldn't find a way to retrieve my username by e-mail address, only retrieve my password by user name. I haven't been here in a few years, but I remembered the name of the forum (Cre8), just not my username...

Is there a function to retrieve username by e-mail?

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a function like that for the forum software we use here. If you 'think' you might have clue as to the username you used the first time around, you can go to the Members page and perform a search for your old name (it should be able to find partial matches), i.e. "member name contains" ___________. Once you have the name, you can retrieve the password using the forgot my password link you described earlier.

#30 kensplace

kensplace

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1497 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:23 AM

Dunno but stealing sounds a bit harsh. Cheating the game is what was done. It is a game after all. Google's game and their rules.

A thief can get prosecuted and could go to jail and not collect 200 dollars. A cheat gets thrown out of the game. No illegal act was committed.

It is theft though. Pure and simple, although if caught the people who had fraudulent clicks should be refunded, what if they are not caught. Those clicks, that someone paid for, are used by someone committing fraud, stealing from the advertiser who paid google to display those clicks, and google themselves if they are taking a cut.

It also appears to be a criminal offence/felony too, although I am not a lawyer so the following would need to be researched or verified by a legal bod

Click fraud link

Use of a computer to commit this type of Internet fraud is a felony in most States, for example Penal code 502 in California, USA, and the Computer Misuse Act 1990 in the UK. There have been arrests relating to click fraud with regard to malicious clicking in order to deplete a competitorís advertising budget.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users