• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13454 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:33 PM

I wrote a blog post yesterday about something that was bothering me about the usual end of year blog awards. Specifically, I was thinking of the SEO/M industry at the time but I later got to thinking that some of my points might pertain to any awards where a year is reviewed and a person or site is judged as a worthy contributor to their industry or niche.

I feel that these awards miss crucial people such as volunteers who give long hours and their own money, or create and develop new tools, or start new industry organizations with huge success, or launch educational programs.

Is it just me or do some of the most creative, innovative, generous people get overlooked?

What makes a person or company notable? What contributions are considered worthy for awards?

In the Search Engine Journal's contest, there's a list of persons for the most "giving" person. There's no definition for the word "Giving" offered and there's many names of people who I felt were all worth noting for their various contributions.

However, that particular list is unfair, in my opinion, to many people who give 150%, every year, and work behind the scenes making other people look good. To me, forum moderators are the most generous people in the their industries because they put in tremendous hours, unpaid, to help people, teach, and offer moral support. They never get recognized for this.

In my blog post, I called out some folks and thanked some people I felt deserved a pat on the back for their work or contributions last year.

How do you all feel about blog awards and end of year roundups of "great" sites and posts?

Do you vote in them?

#2 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:45 PM

Is it just me or do some of the most creative, innovative, generous people get overlooked?

MOST of the creative, innovative, generous people get overlooked.

It is the nature of the beast. S/he who markets most gets noticed most. The creator/originator, especially in the 'social' bloggartsphere is secondary to the fingerpointer. Sphinn.com is an especially good example of this - it is the sphinner/fingerpointer whose face, name, and commentary/review that is highlighted with two kicks at the recognition can - the initial listing and the interstitial with comments, not the linked content or its creator - unless the creator self points.

There is a tabloidesque celebrity backpatting brigade that is generally front-and-centre. Some of the participants are knowledgeable and competent, some are very good at rewriting others content with better titles, and a few just fake it.

'Best of' lists tend to highlight those marketing their services, those places where such people hang out, and the reporters who cover them. SEM does Hollywood.

I have my own private 2007 'best of' list:
* the SEO most like Britney...
* the SEM most like Paris...
* the SEM pair most like Brangelina...
* the worst dressed SEO...
* silliest question by a user with SEO in their name...
:D

#3 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:29 PM

I'd like to see recognition for a few types of contribution to a sense of quality.

Education
Support of Causes & Nonprofits
Community-building
Creativity - best use of SEO + Branding, or SEO + Usability, or Google-free marketing, or ?

How exactly to define these is something else again.

My current fave rave is what Chev Pim has done over the last four years with Menu for Hope - food bloggers raised just over $90K this year. Astounding.

And then there's Susan Reynolds turning her own boobs on ice (breast cancer) into an opportunity to better understand cancer survivors. This is interesting for SEO -- the bottom of Google's page 1 is showing cancer related results for the term [frozen peas]. Also noteworthy for social networking groups demonstrating a potential to shift from superficial friending to acting as a caring community that can come up with some pretty funny and cute branding -- lots o link bait and not a top ten list among 'em.

Edited by AbleReach, 30 December 2007 - 01:32 AM.

#4 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:29 AM

Uh-oh Kim...it was me who voted for Cre8asite as the best forum in the SEJ contest...you mentioned that on your blog. I hope you're not mad!

Well, I just don't know. Maybe it's that an industry like ours has its well-known folks, so they get a lot of votes and this seems like they are getting all the recognition (which, perhaps, they don't really need as they are already the feedreader kings of the blogosphere). But I voted in this poll because it had a category not only for the best forum (YOURS, Kim ;) ) but also the best local blog. Local is something I care passionately about and I wanted to put my vote in their for Mike Blumenthal's blog. He is starting to get more notice taken of him, but at one time, I don't think too many people knew who he was. Maybe polls like the SEJ one have the ability to bring more notice to someone who is on their way to being really well known...in other words, they may spotlight someone very worthy who is not quite yet a household word. My guess is that this is where Mike is going...and hey...I got a nice thank you note from him for the vote :D

I guess the problem with behind-the-scenes folks is that we don't have any way of knowing who they are. My guess would be that their lower-profile approach to the web is undertaken out of a spirit of giving, rather than in hopes of winning a contest. I guess it just works out that way.

Miriam

#5 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13454 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:09 PM

it was me who voted for Cre8asite as the best forum in the SEJ contest

I'm pleased and thrilled someone nominated these forums. I do wish there was a way to indicate that a forums is a group effort of mods and community. They create its destiny and if it's rewarded, they share in that joy.

It continues to surprise me how certain people or endeavors are ignored. Kalena Jordan started the Search Engine College years ago. It's going strong and as a volunteer tutor for her, I can say its been a learning process for us all, as well as the students. She has a certification program. She acknowledges usability by letting me teach it there.

She's never been acknowleded by the industry for her contributions.

It can be said that those working behind the scenes are invisible, but I know they're there and I've met many of them. People like those who run Danny's SMX. Danny gets the attention, and these hard working people are ignored, though they order the food, stress over equipment, room temps, deal with sound techs and a million other things.

I like finding and supporting those whose motivations are simple and whose passion shines brightly.

#6 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

I feel that these awards miss crucial people such as volunteers who give long hours and their own money, or create and develop new tools, or start new industry organizations with huge success, or launch educational programs.

I do think that it may be easy to miss the folks who aren't in the spotlight, or who are difficult to indentify as the toil in the background. Having said that though, I know that there was a nomination period for the Search Engine Journal awards, where anyone could nominate someone for an award.

While there were a number of preset categories, there was also mention within the nomination post that people also make other suggestions, and that there might be some flexibility in those categories.

I was pleasantly surprised to be nominated for a number of categories in the SEJ awards, and excited to see Cre8asite included amongst the nominees for Community. Congratulations to everyone here on the nomination.

I have my own private 2007 'best of' list:
* the SEO most like Britney...
* the SEM most like Paris...
* the SEM pair most like Brangelina...
* the worst dressed SEO...
* silliest question by a user with SEO in their name...

In a past employment incarnation, I worked for a fairly large government organization, and we had an annual year-end employee recognition ceremony. We gave out a lot of silly awards, and they were a lot of fun. It might be fun to do something like that in the SEO industry.

I'd like to see recognition for a few types of contribution to a sense of quality.

Education
Support of Causes & Nonprofits
Community-building
Creativity - best use of SEO + Branding, or SEO + Usability, or Google-free marketing, or ?

Something maybe, for us to think about for next year? Though something like that wouldn't have to wait for year's end.

Uh-oh Kim...it was me who voted for Cre8asite as the best forum in the SEJ contest...you mentioned that on your blog. I hope you're not mad!

Much thanks, Miriam. :)

It was good to see Mike included in the list of nominees for best local search blog.

I like finding and supporting those whose motivations are simple and whose passion shines brightly.

And, it's something that we could do here. :)

#7 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13454 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

While there were a number of preset categories, there was also mention within the nomination post that people also make other suggestions, and that there might be some flexibility in those categories.

When I visited the nominations page before voting began, I didn't see a strong invitation to suggest new categories. The mention of "surprise" categories seemed internal to me, not a request to add some.

I looked at the sites being nominated to see if new categories were suggested by anyone because I had people/sites in my mind, but again, it wasn't an activity being done or was encouraged.

Nominations were being asked for during the week of X-mas, when a lot of people go off line to be with families. I knew to start looking for the SEJ awards because its an annual event, but new people likely had less knowledge. It was Sphunn, but again, you'd have to be going there to have seen that post.

There's no question that nominees are special and its a relief to see them be acknowledged.

My point is that the industry has a funny way of choosing its criteria for who's considered exceptional. I can't believe that Jen Laycock's going up against the pork industry, using her marketing skills to handle that situation in ways both sides could benefit from, went ignored. She represented the industry by putting into action a lot of what others just give lip service to.

#8 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:19 PM

My point is that the industry has a funny way of choosing its criteria for who's considered exceptional. I can't believe that Jen Laycock's going up against the pork industry, using her marketing skills to handle that situation in ways both sides could benefit from, went ignored. She represented the industry by putting into action a lot of what others just give lip service to.

I think it would be great if you put a comment in the SEJ voting thread asking people to write-in and vote for Jen, for someting like "Exceptional Use of Social Media by an SEO blogger."

Get those wheels in Loren's head turning, and he might just surprise you in a positive way.

#9 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13454 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:48 PM

Bill...done! Thanks for the idea :)

I wrote in Jen and also nominated Kalena for "Best in SEO Education". While it may not get much notice this year, I feel more personally at peace knowing these two women get a shout-out. I think Jen and Kal are excellent leaders in the industry because they never give up and everything comes from their hearts and personal passion. I hate seeing special people getting overlooked :thumbs:

#10 kensplace

kensplace

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1497 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:14 AM

I tend to find these type of things annoying..

Usually the winners are the 'marketing' people.

Sometimes they are rigged (note, I am not saying anything referenced in this thread is rigged, just taking about some other things I have come across elsewhere. The one's in this thread I have no idea...)

The people who are the most giving, are usually not the ones going on about how much they are giving, they are not self promotionalists.

Where is the award for the people who did php, and apache, and mysql?

Where was the recognition for the person that released some great tools like pkzip (the person who wrote that committed suicide.)

What about all the other open source people, the people who support people for free on sites, forums and privately?

Most things like this, you tend to find people vote for the most 'popular' person - not always the best person to vote for......

Its politics, and like politics, it stinks usually.

But then again, you dont win awards for speaking your mind or telling the truth these days..........

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users