• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:06 AM

A search engine cutting jobs!! Guess Google are really effecting Yahoo (Or MSN/Live & Ask are catching up)

http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/7216752.stm

#2 Adrian

Adrian

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 5779 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:54 AM

I think I've seen elsewhere say where some of the jobs will be going from. I don't remember seeing any being lost in search specifically, but then Yahoo! does have several areas of business.

#3 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3400 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:17 AM

Why is this unexpected? Yahoo is a business that's facing some hard times. To work with it, they're cutting jobs, which is a standard reaction to such situations.

Pierre

#4 projectphp

projectphp

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3935 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

Yahoo has like two profit centres (ad serving and search), and 150 loss centres. The obsession with buying every startup that has some tech has not really been terribly profitable (as oppossed to worthwhile), and I wonder how/where they can really find a new revenue stream, if at all.

#5 phaithful

phaithful

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:13 AM

Yang has presided over an extensive restructuring and shuttered a number of services, including the 360 blogging platform, Yahoo auctions and Yahoo photos, which was replaced by Flickr.

Basically Yahoo is trying to concentrate on what made them great in the first place. The redundancy of products have always been a problem for Yahoo and they're finally trimming the fat.

I think this will make them a better company, not only from a financial point of view, but I think they'll be able to focus in on the products that will really make them a contender.

The sad thing about being Yahoo is that they are always directly compared to Google. Players like Microsoft and IAC really are much more diversified that the comparison is never one to one. Hopefully Yahoo can make a charge and truly differentiate themselves from the Big G.... I personally like the Search Assist that they rolled out... they just need more market share now.

#6 Jozian

Jozian

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:09 AM

IMHO, Yahoo's problem is that they keep tacking on new services - at too fast a pace for absorption and in the wrong place (e.g the search landing page, new personal portal efforts).

The real dominance they possess is in email.  Search loyalty is fickle.

I think they should be integrating products and services into and off of the Yahoo Mail email interface - where combining social networking, IM, flickr?, et al makes the most sense to a customer (at least this customer).

-Jeff

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users