• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 phaithful

phaithful

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:02 PM

I'm sitting here at SMX West, and Yahoo! showed a demonstration of the new open search which essentially expands your footprint and improves the Ux of your listing on Yahoo.

I don't think it currently is a free for all usage, but they definitely have a sign up page.

http://tools.search....earch/open.html

I'd suggest that if you have a well ranking listings in Yahoo that you can add additional structured data to help "task completion", sign up because this is very exciting.

Edited by phaithful, 26 February 2008 - 08:02 PM.

#2 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

Hope that you are having a good time at SMX West.

This does look pretty interesting.

I've signed up.

Thanks for the heads up. ;)

#3 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:35 AM

Yep thanks for the link Eric

#4 phaithful

phaithful

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:00 AM

Hope that you are having a good time at SMX West.

SMX West is turning out to be pretty good. Not that I didn't expect it to be, but it's surprisingly much better than the past SESes I've attended.

Very well organized. Danny and team did a great job!

For Y! Open Search, they showed a cool demo with eBay. There was a SeRP for ipods that included Apple.com as one of the listings. Right below the listing was a small link that had a drop down for eBay. Essentially eBay was able to send Yahoo structured auction content, and on clicking the drop down, the search would be faced with another listing that looked similar to the Yelp listing on the sign-up page, but had actionable links to see the current auctions and place a bid for an ipod auction on eBay.

Google Subscribed Links were referenced as something similar in nature, however for subscribed links the searcher must opt in before they see the improved UI. In the case of Yahoo, the searcher does not need to opt in because they are taking the stance that their web search algorithms go through enough scrutiny to provide the most relevant site, that it'll be less subjected to a spammer utilizing this tool for evil deeds. (I have my reservations, but it makes sense in theory)

#5 FP_Guy

FP_Guy

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

I just signed up too. Does anyone have any links to discussions about this elsewhere on the web? I would like to see what other people are saying about this too.

#6 FP_Guy

FP_Guy

Mach 1 Member

• 250 Posts Club
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:17 PM

Ack! :frustration:

Ignore this post, I just wanted to check the 'enable email notification of replies' checkbox because I couldn't find the 'track this topic' link.

#7 phaithful

phaithful

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:55 AM

I just signed up too. Does anyone have any links to discussions about this elsewhere on the web? I would like to see what other people are saying about this too.

Here's a link to the official blog post: http://www.ysearchbl...ves/000523.html

and here's the New York Times article: http://www.nytimes.c...gy/26yahoo.html

Edited by phaithful, 28 February 2008 - 03:56 AM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users