#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

Another interesting patent explanation from Mr. Slawski. :lol: :idea:
Yahoo Automates Usability Consulting

Actually, it only appears to be determining the 'ad usability' of a page. How cluttered is the page with and without ads, the level of ad to page contrast, etc.

So flesh-and-blood Kim is still in business. :cheers:

However, just as Google rates (and charges) AdWords publishers by landing page 'quality', Yahoo may soon be rating (and charging/paying rates) by some on page 'ad usability' criteria.

And these things do tend to get extended and expanded. Afterall, if it is ad-usable it must be good for people too, right? :tinfoil:

#2 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13609 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:10 PM

I bookmarked this earlier today...figured it would inspire a great rant from me.

Essentially, what it boils down is this.

Why check to see if a page is usability-proof for ads, when people HATE ads?

The only side to benefit is the search engines, who want more ad space on web site pages.

I think this is a really sneaky, back door attempt to keep SE's in business and has nothing to do with "usability".

:dramaqueen:

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:00 PM

I think this is a really sneaky, back door attempt to keep SE's in business and has nothing to do with "usability".

And just what is more 'usable' than something that allows one to stay in business?
Duck and snicker.

I see it as a potential filter, a method of refining the quality of click throughs, which would also allow an increase in rates - although they might use the G model and rather than exclude 'less usable' ad space charge the crap more or pay out less.

...when people HATE ads?

* Do people buy Vogue magazine for the thin content or the luscious display ads?
* What is O but Oprah's print ad server ala Google.
* Why do so many 'good' or 'bad' ads get uploaded to YouTube?

Advertising done properly is appreciated:
* for itself as an art form.
* for the emotion, especially humour.
* for the product/brand (and to a lesser extend the artist/agency/creator).
* for the revenue generated and audience acquired.

There are very effective quite attractive ad (conversion) funnels out there. That they are still few (thanks to the proliferation of AdSense, clones, and lazy domain devs) means they are that much more effective.

It likely means even more heartache among the add-script-and-wait and the ppc-landing-page crowds, though. :lol:

As for your RANT - don't hold back, don't let it fester, let it out and ROAR!!!

I am woman, hear me roar...

There is nothing that releaves stress and aids a healthy heart like a good RANT and ROAR.
Mens sana in corpore sano

#4 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:35 PM

I see it as a potential filter, a method of refining the quality of click throughs, which would also allow an increase in rates - although they might use the G model and rather than exclude 'less usable' ad space charge the crap more or pay out less

I do, too.

That's why I linked to my post about Google's ad filter at the end of the post. I don't know if the point is to actively make people think that they are being filtered as much as it's there to provide them with a tool that may make them think Yahoo is being helpful.

Some interesting stuff in there, like it figuring out what might be above the fold, and below the fold.

Or which links are sponsored links, and which ones aren't. How does the program know?

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users