• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rizzy

rizzy

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

I have an issue with adwords and keyword matching.

Let's say I have a 3 term phrase "word1 word2 word3"

This phrase is broad match, so if someone searches and any 3 combo of those words are in the query we come up. The problem starts if we search just the word "word3" from the phrase above. If we do this it is still pulling up our ad.

What would cause our ad to show for just one word from the phrase when it should have all 3 words in the query before it comes up?

Hopefully this makes sense what I am trying to say.

#2 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:00 PM

This phrase is broad match,

You will need to use "exact match" or phrase matching to prevent this from happening.

Daz

#3 rizzy

rizzy

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

You will need to use "exact match" or phrase matching to prevent this from happening.

Exact match will restrict us a lot though. Let's just take another example phrase
"new football helmets"

If I was searching google for "new football helmets" I should come up.
If I search for "new nfl football helmets and pads", I should also come up because of the broad match.
If I search for "helmets", I should not come up.

Correct?

Edited by rizzy, 14 March 2008 - 02:21 PM.

#4 Respree

Respree

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

What would cause our ad to show for just one word from the phrase when it should have all 3 words in the query before it comes up?

If you want all three words in the query before it comes up, isn't that called an exact match?

Exact Match - If you surround your keywords in brackets - such as [tennis shoes] - your ad would be eligible to appear when a user searches for the specific phrase tennis shoes, in this order, and without any other terms in the query. For example, your ad wouldn't show for the query red tennis shoes or tennis shoe. Exact match is the most targeted option. Although you won't receive as many impressions with exact match, you'll likely enjoy the most targeted clicks - users searching for your exact keyword typically want precisely what your business has to offer.

If you haven't done so already, you might want to try the Search Query Performance report to determine which keywords are triggering your ads.

Edited by Respree, 14 March 2008 - 04:12 PM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users