• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

I've now started using channels more extensively in Google AdSense. If you do so, I think you'll find it most instructive.

Basically you can use as many channels as you wish. It all depends on your energy. In one of my blogs I typically have a banner, an ad in the right-hand sidebar and a footer. By assigning a channel to each of these three ads, I can then see how well they are performing.

An interesting aspect of the data is that you can also see how many impressions each ad has. This also will show you on average how many people progress all the way down the page. This is because the banner is always seen by more people than the sidebar ad, which in turn is seen by more people than the footer ad.

That raises an interesting question as to how Google develops this data precisely. Clearly how far down the page a visitor scans depends on the screen resolution. I wonder if that is taken into account in developing the data.

I would be interested in hearing from any other people who are using channels. In particular are there any other interesting ways of using this data?

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5182 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

Channels are one of the best things about adsense. I use them in many different ways.

My site has a few thousand pages, divided into several categories. The pages in each category have a common format.

I have three adsense units on most pages - each in a position that is constant across all pages of that category. Each page position has a separate channel. For example I might have a skyscraper on the left navigation, a link unilt across the top of the page and a large rectangle in a "related information box". The channel allows me to know which placements are producing income and which are not. I will then republish those pages with ads in different positions and watch what it does to the yield. Some of my pages have been republished in different formats up to twenty times, each time keeping a screenshot and the stats on ad CTR, etc. By doing this my income has doubled and redoubled. It is easier to double your income by improving your pages than it is to double your income by doubling your traffic. I am fortunate to have a site that gets a lot of traffic and I can test different page formats on thousands of visitors each a few times per day. This reduces the variability of different bidders displaying different ads on different days.

Each category of my site is in a different folder. I have URL channels on each folder. There are major differences in the yield per visitor for the different folders. This helps inform content development. I can then target my content development onto topics where (expected traffic * expected income per visitor) is a maximum.

This also helps me decide how to route traffic on the site. If I have two articles that I think will be of equal interest to my visitors, I also have a good idea of which will yield more and that will determine their position on my homepage or in the daily content announcements of my blog. Also which content earns best position in my related information boxes.

I also have parts of my site that produce very little income. People are more interested in the content. So, on those pages, instead of running ads I place image links to interesting content on my site. Those promote my own brand but they also deliver visitors to portions of the site where the income producing potential is higher.

The bottom line: Success at increasing your income with channels requires two things: 1) A willingness to reformat your pages, and 2) a willingness to keep very careful records.

It is all about experimenting and keeping very careful records.

#3 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 2062 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:14 PM

That raises an interesting question as to how Google develops this data precisely. Clearly how far down the page a visitor scans depends on the screen resolution. I wonder if that is taken into account in developing the data.

I don't think you're interpreting that correctly, Barry. Google has no reason to measure eyeballs, which is NOT an easy thing to do (your browser renders the whole page at one time, it doesn't make more server requests as you scroll below the fold).

I believe the numbers dwindle as they do because a lot of people don't let the page fully load before clicking away. The top of the page almost always gets loaded. The footer very often doesn't make it past a surfer's lack of patience. Obviously, if the ad never loads, Google isn't going to count it as an impression.

Oh, and as to your question, I've used channels pretty much forever, I think. I have one for each ad placed on a page times every section in every web site. If I'm experimenting, say with visuals or placement, I'll likely have more. Lots and lots of channels! It's how we tell what works and what doesn't. :)

#4 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:21 PM

Google has no reason to measure eyeballs, which is NOT an easy thing to do (your browser renders the whole page at one time, it doesn't make more server requests as you scroll below the fold).

Duh. I could have thought of that. :) Of course that proves just how much Gladwell's Blink concept really has merit.

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5182 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:37 PM

With one single line of JavaScript, crazyegg can tell the pixel on your page where a click occurs and how long the visitor was on the page before making that click. We should assume that google can collect that same information - in addition to the adsense clicks. I don't know if they can tell how far a visitor scrolls but they certainly can collect a lot of other data - if they want it.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users