• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 saschaeh

saschaeh

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1026 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

In terms of SEO we should keep our site structure as flat as possible, right?

Would it therefore be best to customize our permalink accordingly?

Example:

Default http://www.site.org/blog/?p=123
Day and name http://www.site.org/...21/sample-post/
Month and name http://www.site.org/...04/sample-post/
Numeric http://www.site.org/blog/archives/123

Custom Structure /%postname%/ - flattest and SE' Relevant. Would this be the best way to structure your Blogs permalinks?

#2 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9012 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:18 AM

In terms of SEO we should keep our site structure as flat as possible, right?

I guess, saschaeh, it depends whose interests we are trying to serve.

I would guess this is at most a secondary effect for search engines, so perhaps we can think more about human visitors and how they might benefit. I much prefer to be able to see the date a blog post was created. So I would vote for including the date.

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4629 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

The 'flat for seo' idea is flat wrong. And always has been.

It works off the antiquated notion that people/bots access a site through root (home page). And that therefore any page should be within 3-clicks of the home page - and therefore any other page as well. And then some similar silliness about PageRank.

As soon as you understand that people (and SE bots) follow links and thus can land on any page, that every external link passes some powerjuice (amount totally unknown - except for traffic and conversion) to the linked page, one realises that a site is simply the web in miniture. Nodes of varying importance: authority, trust, juice, traffic, what-have-you, that pass each outwards through it's links (internal and external).

If you look at a sitemap and see the interlinkings you have one view. Now track clickpaths (human and SE bot) and the viewpoint skews greatly. It certainly isn't the nice neat sitemap POV.

What this says, really, is that if one has a deep site one needs deeplinking. Powerjuice of whatever flavour flows in any and all directions. Not just downhill from the homepage.

Blogs are slightly different as the current (home) page is in constant flux - more like the front page of a newspaper than the typical site home page. RSS subscriptions add another twist. However, the theory still stands. If the content is great it will be linked - just ensure that the URL for the article doesn't change from going from current to archives or you will lose the usefulness of many of those backlinks.

None of which negates the need for thoughtful, logical site architecture.

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4629 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

Regarding whether to include the date in the URL - for a blog yes, please. :)

First, I am a great believer in dating articles - on any site. IMO the date should be right under the title along with the author's name (even on a single person blog). It is so irritating to be learning 1996 outdated info about a subject because the only date was the 2008 copyright noticee in the footer.

Because a blog is DB driven you can return just about anything anyhow you want. Which is why many duplicate content issues arise. So you need to pick what seems most logical to you. As many/most blog entries are time limited/critical including date in the path is highly useful. So is categorisation (directory grouping structure). The order is flexible:
* mydomain/date/category/post-title
* mydomain/category/date/post-title
really dependent on the logic you prefer for your DB structure.

If you are a fan of cloud tagging having the date first and the category closer to the title will probably be an easier DB construct. Otherwise, take your pick, based on ease of table reference.

On the matter of date including the day is likely over refining. Year-month (200804, 2008-04) is clear enough - unless you are pumping out tens of posta per day. :)

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5462 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

As soon as you understand that people (and SE bots) follow links and thus can land on any page, that every external link passes some powerjuice (amount totally unknown - except for traffic and conversion) to the linked page, one realises that a site is simply the web in miniture. Nodes of varying importance: authority, trust, juice, traffic, what-have-you, that pass each outwards through it's links (internal and external).

I agree 100%, no, 200%.

I build (and rebuild) my sites around specific SEO attacks based upon the content resources available and their relative linkability. After that I try to adjust based on demonstrated visitor actions and what will produce income for me.

#6 saschaeh

saschaeh

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1026 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:10 PM

Thanks all.

just ensure that the URL for the article doesn't change from going from current to archives or you will lose the usefulness of many of those backlinks.

Where/how would i ensure this in Wordpress?

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users