6 replies to this topic

#1 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:35 PM

Greetings All,
I would really appreciate community input on this.

We are trying to create a class schedule.

Unlike a regular calendar (you know, 30 boxes with dates) the schedule needs to work like this:

A row of days of the week across the top (Mon-Sun)

A column of time slots down the left side (8AM-9AM, 9AM-10AM, etc)

The graph of days of the week + time slots needs to consist of boxes where the teacher can input her classes for each box on the graph.

She will be updating this on a weekly basis.

The schedule needs to reside on a permanent page on a WP blog that will be accessible to the public.

Rather than building this with tables in HTML, we are trying to figure out a way to implement some kind of a plugin or widget that will enable her to update the schedule without dealing with a bunch of code.

We have been looking all afternoon for an option like this, but are coming up empty handed, and can only find calendar-style 30 box calendars with dates.

Can anyone help us find a solution to this challenge?

Thank you all!
Miriam

#2 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

Hi Miriam,

I think you have to get this custom programmed with a back-end admin panel for the teacher to enter the data.

Here's a site I designed a while ago: http://www.suffolkyj...asp?classID=165, that has a similar concept. The client enters the data herself in an admin panel.

It's not in WP, though, and not as detailed as what you need.

Risa

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5483 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:08 PM

Excel.

Upload it as an .xls file?

Copy/paste to html?

#4 kulpreet_singh

kulpreet_singh

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:13 PM

Hi Miriam,

I agree with Risa. The most professional or customizable option would probably be a custom programmed graph / grid, which has the seven days and however many time slots, attached to a CMS or form fields for every box in the grid. For example, if the classes are from 8am to 3pm, that would be 7 time slots on 7 days, so 49 boxes. For each box, you would have an entry in a database table. You could use Ajax so that when the teacher is logged in and clicks on any individual time slot on the grid, it opens up the text field to update the information directly (similar to the edit description feature on Flickr.com).

The other option, which you can do in house without a programmer is to create one post in Wordpress for every time slot within a seperate category called "Schedule." So your client would go to her "Manage" -> Posts area, and see Monday 8am to 9am, Monday 9am to 10am, etc. Then you would have to set up the table which calls the content of each post individually to display in its time slot.

The simplest option, I think, is for her to get a Google account, and use Google Calendar to update her schedule and post her calendar to the page every week. I think Google calendar has a weekly view with time slots.

or as EGOL said, just use an Excel file and upload it as HTML or post a screen capture of it.

Edited by kulpreet_singh, 23 April 2008 - 10:19 PM.

#5 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5483 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:21 PM

That google calendar is a great idea, Kulpreet.

#6 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:31 PM

Hi Risa, Kulpreet Singh & Egol,
Thank you for the suggestions. All good!

Kulpreet Singh - This represents my first tinkerings with Google calendar. Wow! I've just discovered how to embed it into a page. Here is my question - will the teacher have to re-embed this every week? Or does the embed somehow feed from the source onto the page?

Terrific suggestion. Thank you!
Miriam

#7 kulpreet_singh

kulpreet_singh

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:55 AM

Hi Miriam,

Embedding the calendar in an iframe and allowing the calendar to be public will basically display all new events on the calendar, past, present and future, to anyone who visits that page.

She will be able to use Google Calendar to update the schedule, and people will see it on the webpage automatically.

It is not the most customized solution, but is easy to set up and manage.

hope that helps :)

-k.s.

Edited by kulpreet_singh, 24 April 2008 - 01:56 AM.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users