6 replies to this topic

#1 kulpreet_singh

kulpreet_singh

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I've started this new thing on my blog called "The Hunt" where I point out a problem and throughout the week I solicit input from others in the relevant fields for ways to solve/kill the problem. I'll be taking excerpts from peoples comments to put up on the blog.

I'd appreciate your input on this one:

Many bloggers have faced this issue. You start a blog to focus on a few topics in a general field or industry, but sometimes you feel the urge / need / responsibility to write something out of the ordinary. It might be due to a necessity, or just for fun. You might need to vent, or you might be excited about some personal accomplishment. In any case, you donít want to annoy your readers who regularly visit for the specific topics you introduced at the start. In fact, letís say you donít only want to write these topics once in a while, but you always want to write on different issues. So is it more advantageous to have more blogs to cover the different areas, or should you keep it all on one blog? If so, how?

thank you,

-kulpreet singh

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:10 PM

Matt Cutts is a very popular blogger and often has posts divergent from his "Gadgets, Google and SEO" theme. Some are on recreation that he enjoys and some about his cats. He is a very influential person with very valuable things to say... so that gives him an unusual opportunity to deviate beyond his "gadgets, google and SEO". He could write about dust balls under his couch and Cuttlets would read it.

If I wrote about cats on my blog I don't think that I could get away with it. I think that a person might gauge their ability to depart from their theme by the types of comments that people post on those departing posts. If you get no comments then those posts are stinking up your blog. If you get lots of nice comments and questions then you can get away with it.

To be safe you should always allow just a few lines of these posts to display on the front page of your blog.... I don't want to scroll and scroll and scroll to get past the pictures of a bloggers pets.

#3 Respree

Respree

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

Although I'm not a blogger or read many blogs, I would venture to guess its pretty difficult to write something out of the ordinary every time (that hasn't been regurgitated a thousand times before). I tend to gravitate toward insightful, thought-provoking styles of writing that I can relate to. Many times, an interesting personal story about a certain situation hits home for me and makes me connect with the author in ways a very clinical, impersonal style cannot.

I see nothing wrong with the ocassional vent, but if the blog or site is riddled with them, I find I'm not attracted to negativity.

In terms of annoying readers, I think comments (or perhaps, lack thereof) can give you some good indicators of whether they found what you've written annoying. Keep in mind, however, about taking comments with a grain of salt. What the minority may have found annoying, could also be the same article that the majority found spectacular.

Not sure if these thoughts are helping any, but that's what I think, for what its worth. :)

Edited by Respree, 07 May 2008 - 08:01 PM.

#4 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 2062 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

The real question here is whether you want to think of your blog as a series of short stories, related perhaps but otherwise distinct, or whether your blog is going to be a novel?

Why the distinction?

Because no one wants to read 500 pages of non-stop action. No one want to read 500 pages of sultry romance, either. Or page after page after page of humor. A novel may well concentrate on any one of these things, but it has to offer a balance of sorts because action gets pretty boring unless carefully woven with less exciting fare. It's the contrast that gives action or romance or humor its edge.

It's called pacing and it's often one of the hardest things for a writer to master. In my opinion, yes, a blogger should definitely mix it up a bit. It shouldn't be haphazard or spontaneous, though. It should be very carefully planned. Got a really big, really important post in the works? Slow down the pace a little before making that big post, and your big post will seem all the bigger because your readers have been prepared to ramp up their heart rates. If your mix-up post can subtly foreshadow what is to come, so much the better.

Sometimes, I think you have to step back and look at the bigger picture. You can bet your readers do, even if only subconsciously.

#5 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:15 AM

Hi Kulpreet Singh,
If the blog is a business blog (for example, dealing mainly with SEO, or design) why not have a personal/creative category in addition to your technical categories? If you keep the category name broad enough, you could put pretty much anything in it that didn't fit in your tech categories?

We did this on our blog. We have a section called Inside the Igloo where I've posted stuff like news about us, awards, etc.

That might not be quite what you are looking to do, but I think I'd rather see randomness organized into one category rather than a long list of random categories with only a post or two in it.

Good luck with this. I like your idea of The Hunt!
Miriam

Edited by SEOigloo, 08 May 2008 - 12:15 AM.

#6 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13453 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

I go off topic too. I have a category called "When I Have the Talking Stick", which is a Native American custom of whoever has the "talking stick", is allowed to speak about anything they wish to.

I didn't start this until I had developed a following however and established a rapport with my readers. They wanted to hear more from me and my life and responded with positive feedback to my off topic posts.

I think sometimes it depends on the writing and openness of the blog owner to share. I've seen other blogs try to get personal and they don't pull it off. It's not them. It's their writing. They don't connect well.

#7 kulpreet_singh

kulpreet_singh

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:17 PM

EGOL, Garrick, Ron, Miriam, and Kim,

Thank you all SOO much for your insightful comments! I really appreciate your advice.

You can see the updates on my "Hunt" here:
http://kulpreetsingh...topics-one-blog

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users