Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Can We Say That The Best Seo Professional Should Have To Be A Copywriter First?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 root123

root123

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:39 AM

Search Engines are becoming more human like following advanced search techniques.

After the advent of latest SEO techniques like the LSI (Latent Symentec Indexing) & specially the VEO (Visitor Enhanced Optimization) SEO is becoming the game of writers. So we can say that the writing skill is a mandatory part for true SEO professionals today????

#2 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:49 AM

What about server-side coding using .htaccess?
Usability?
Marketing?
CMS (blog) management?
Social networking/media?
Accessibility, when working on governmental/non-profit projects?

I'd say one has to be sharp on many things online to be a really good professional.

But yes, knowing how to write is another facet to be good at. Often, however, SEO is not the person to write text. Expert content is better to be created by experts, such as business owners, developers, etc. The SEOs task would be to outline what content to create and market it after it is created.

Is content important now? Yes. Do SEOs need to be good in other things? Yes.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 13 May 2008 - 02:51 AM.

#3 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:02 AM

I am finding more copywriters are offering copy that is "optimised for Search Engines". They can definitely write but none that I know of can code or want to choose to understand web marketing as a whole... so they usually hand off their copywriting back to me to get it online and re-adjust for SEO purposes.

Suits me, I ALWAYS recommend copywriters to my clients (they do a far better job of writing for humans rather than bots) and I therefore have a very good relationship with most copywriters I know of in my area.

Daz

#4 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1878 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:47 AM

In any case, 'Visitor Enhanced Optimization' isn't exactly new. It's been the backbone of any information system (books, magazines, films, internet) for years.

Some people are good at writing, others can program, some are illustrators. I would argue that the person writing a great newspaper article is probaly usless are typesetting. And the photographer won't be able to write a killer tagline.

An SEO professional doesn't need to be able to write great copy, but they do need to be able to integrate that copy into the website successfully.

#5 projectphp

projectphp

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3935 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:18 AM

It depends what you do, and how big you are. Broad generalists may nopt be as good as someone who knwos their weaknesses and employs professionals to do some small part of teh SEO ggig.

#6 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:44 AM

Some people are good at writing, others can program, some are illustrators. I would argue that the person writing a great newspaper article is probaly usless are typesetting. And the photographer won't be able to write a killer tagline.

An SEO professional doesn't need to be able to write great copy, but they do need to be able to integrate that copy into the website successfully.

Agreed.

I am of the opinion that writing for the web is about to grow up.

#7 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

I believe that SEO and copywriting are two separate abilities. You can be great copywriter and not informed about SEO, or you can be a great SEO and be terrible at copywriting.

For best results a copywriter will know a lot about SEO so that the content can be developed to attract traffic. And for best results the SEO will have great knowledge about the content - especially for alternative wordings and keyword research.

I don't think that great SEO and great content converge in the same person or the same company often. But when they do, if they work together they will be hard to beat.

#8 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

Taken as a whole, certainly strong writing skills are better than weak ones.

I'd have to agree with EGOL, that the two functions (writing and SEO) are often performed by two different people. I would imagine its rare that a website owner would say, "Create my content AND drive massive amounts of traffic to it."

When I think of SEO, it conjurs up techniques that are used to generate traffic. When I think of copywriting, the goals are somewhat different. Its to engage, amuse, pursuade and/or education the audience. It takes over where SEO leaves off. What good is all that traffic if people are turned off by poorly written content? Whats the point in creating awsome content if there is no traffic?

Clearly, both are needed to achieve the goals of the website.

I think many SEO's have expanded their thinking toward online marketing, which embraces a broader based approach involving what happens 'after' people get to the site (i.e. conversions, community, repeat visitors, etc.).

It's 'all' important. :)

Edited by Respree, 13 May 2008 - 04:23 PM.

#9 RisaBB

RisaBB

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1437 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

Whenever I have SEO copywriting to do, I give the copywriter the phrases that I want used in the content and headings and sub-headings. Even if the copywriter doesn't do a good job SEO'ing the content, I find it pretty easy, once I have good content, to fit my phrases in the text.

#10 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:16 PM

As for me, I like the skills rolled into one.

But then, I'm biased. :angel:
Miriam

#11 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:29 PM

Getting back to your basic question.....

Can We Say That The Best Seo Professional Should Have To Be A Copywriter First?

It will be easier to make a top SEO out of a expert content writer than it will be to make a top content writer out of an expert SEO - especially if that content writer has deep and extensive knowledge about the topic of the website.

Having taught writing courses for about 15 years I am confident that almost any content writer can easily become quite good at SEO. However, a lot of people who are SEOs will never be even close to effective at content writing. SEO is a trainable skill. Content writing effectiveness is either a gift or earned through lots of practice and dedicated critique followed by reflection.

A good content writer will not mind doing the SEO. But a lot of SEOs would rather have their teeth extracted than do what is necessary to write high quality content.

I know that this will make lots of SEOs mad... but a great content writer with a morning of SEO training will bury them if they are making a one person website - all other things equal.

Edited by EGOL, 13 May 2008 - 05:43 PM.

#12 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5360 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:45 PM

Do you have to be a copywriter first? No! Some websites have a lot less copywriting needs than others.

But it the website is based upon the written word then the copywriting background can be very important.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users