Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Howto: Move Your Wordpress Write Panel Categories To The Right Sidebar (wp 2.5.1)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kulpreet_singh

kulpreet_singh

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:06 AM

Hi everyone,

Many people don't like the Categories box in WP 2.5 being underneath the post write box. Also, the box is somewhat narrow.

I have fixed it in my WordPress installation and decided to share it with you.

You can use these steps and move your Categories box to the right.

http://kulpreetsingh...categories-hack

Please let me know if it works for you. I have tested it on mine and like it very much :banana_wgun:

thanks,

-k.s.

#2 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9018 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:23 AM

Hi Kulpreet. That looks a neat idea.

Would you have to redo this every time you upgraded the version of Wordpress?

#3 kulpreet_singh

kulpreet_singh

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hi Barry,

If the next version of WordPress doesn't replace this file, then it will be okay. However if it does overwrite the file, you'll have to do the same to that file. If there are no changes between this file and the same file in the next version, you can just overwrite the new file with this file after updating your WordPress.

-k.s.

Edited by kulpreet_singh, 14 May 2008 - 12:58 PM.

#4 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9018 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

Thanks, Kulpreet. I guess the easiest way to check for that is to look at the byte count and possibly the date of the file.

#5 kulpreet_singh

kulpreet_singh

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

Hi Barry,

Yes - or if someone could help me make this a plugin. I am not a php programmer - I only know basics - so I'm not sure how to do this. Do you - or does anyone reading this - know someone personally who might take this and make it a plugin for me?

-k.s.

Edited by kulpreet_singh, 14 May 2008 - 02:20 PM.

#6 kulpreet_singh

kulpreet_singh

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

Hi Barry,

It turns out there’s a plugin that does this as well! Probably easier to manage for the non-coding population, especially because it will / should extend regardless of your version updates. It is a little different from my method, but the concept is the same. The website’s in Turkish but the plugin page is in English: http://beyn.org/sidecat/

-k.s.

#7 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9018 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:43 PM

Hi Kulpreet
That's certainly a novel plugin from our Turkish friend. It has the longest allowable name, "Put the category selector back to the sidebar... before I kill ya!".

However one downside of that is you lose the Related tabs in the sidebar. I hadn't even noticed those before. :)

I now see I can Manage Categories and Manage Tags. Since this is Tag week for me, I'm delighted to learn that. I won't be using the plugin but I'm delighted I checked it out.

#8 kulpreet_singh

kulpreet_singh

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

Hi Barry,

My fix also removed the Related links. I wasn't finding much use in most of them but on her site http://www.miss604.com, Rebecca Bollwitt describes how she used my fix to bring up the categories box and also kept the Related links.

Edited by kulpreet_singh, 14 May 2008 - 07:15 PM.

#9 kulpreet_singh

kulpreet_singh

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:49 AM

Another Update!

Peter Keung took my fix and the plugin above and made a new plugin. Thank you Peter! You can download it here: http://www.theblog.c...at_reloaded.txt

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users