• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 projectphp

projectphp

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3935 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:15 PM

http://ricksegal.typ...oolest-bus.html (doesn't seem to work for me just this second, but Google's Cache does):

The Coolest Business Plan Ever...
Make tons of changes to your document, pass it to your 'advisors' for advising, get back their edits, make more changes, save and send the document to me without accepting all changes and stripping out all the notes and comments.

Some of the comments in track changes were V funny, and so embarassing!

#2 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

What a colossal blunder.

I'll bet the authors of the document have a sick feeling right about now, wondering if they've jeopardized the deal.

Working on these types of documents is excruciatingly difficult with so many chefs in the kitchen. I remember when we took a company public, about 10 years ago. There were 40 of us sitting at a big, long table, mostly high-powered (and very, very intelligent) accountants, lawyers and investment bankers trying to craft the IPO Prospectus. I remember thinking, everybody at this table is making $800 an hour, except me. It was a $100 million deal, and of course, everybody wanted it to be perfect.

We'd go for hours on end, sometimes discussing one sentence. "I think it should read, 'could be'." "No, I definitely think reads better as, 'should be'." I rolled my eyes at how petty these comments were, thinking at the time, "Guys, we have a hundred pages more to go, shall we move on?"

I remember on one session, I worked for 20 hours straight. Went home, slept for two hours and returned for another 20 hour session. Very exhausting, but not much choice when so much money is on the line.

These things literally go through hundreds of revisions before being finalized. It's not that surprising that every once in a while, the redlined comments are not inadvertently removed.

Edited by Respree, 14 May 2008 - 10:32 PM.

#3 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

Brilliant!

(Worked for me)

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users