• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Sciarrino

Joshua Sciarrino

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

It seems most, if not all, blogs that I like use feedburner. I'm using wordpress and got many different plugins, such as 'share this' where the visitors can use many different sites to promote my articles (Digg, myspace...etc)

Also, I have a GA plugin to analyze the traffic on my website.

So, why use feedburner? It seems my plugins cover the same things. Am I wrong? Thanks for your imput.

#2 khalidh

khalidh

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

It is all about tracking.

Feedburner allows you to track the number of subscribers to your RSS feed. Other plugins allow you to track the number of actual visitors to the site, RSS subscribers don't actually visit the site, they use a feed reader to fetch your RSS and read it.

Khalid

#3 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5447 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

Feedburner gives you REACH.

A feed on my blog, started less than a year ago has about 1600 subscribers and grows at a rate of about 150/month.

A headline animator by Feedburner displays on several pages of my site and on a few other websites bringing me traffic.

Their Buzzboost tool sends my headlines to several pages on my own site and I hope to offer it to a couple of other related sites.

About 1500 people have signed up for daily emails that contain the title and a few words from each post. I see lots of email referrals in my logs.

In my opinion, Google didn't buy Feedburner to offer a cool service. They bought it for the data of who published what first and who has a feed that gets lots of new subscribers. If I owned Google that would be factored into the SERPs.

Make a couple of assumptions and do a little math and decide if the traffic is worthwhile.

Edited by EGOL, 16 May 2008 - 12:25 PM.

#4 Joshua Sciarrino

Joshua Sciarrino

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:51 AM

Thanks, sounds great. I just might use it now.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users