#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

I caught this and felt some of you might enjoy helping out:

SEO's for Tibet

Interesting way to put some SEO skills to good use.

#2 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:38 PM

This rubs me the wrong way completely, possibly resulting in raising levels of antagonism between the Chinese government and the people of Tibet instead of working to effect positive cultural change through things like raised awareness.

I'm also disturbed by the way that it places "SEO" above that actual change.

Why not work instead to raise awareness of the issues involved by bringing them to the mainstream in places like Digg, Mixx, Stumbleupon, and other social networks?

Why not find some bloggers who write about issues involving Tibet, and help raise awareness of what they write?

There's a saying in the legal field that "hard cases make bad law," and while creating a link bomb to purposefully manipulate search engine results may be well intentioned, it's still a matter of the kind of manipulation and abuse of search results that gives search engine optimization a bad name.

Rather than link bombing, why not create a website about China, Tibet, and the Olympics that deserves to rank for those terms?

#3 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

As for raising awareness, this article is interesting:

China's All-Seeing Eye

With the help of U.S. defense contractors, China is building the prototype for a high-tech police state. It is ready for export.

This site carries feeds and links to a number of blogs from Tibet, about Tibet, or both:

http://tibetblogs.com/modules/feeds/

For those of us in the United States, the mainstream media does a very poor job of presenting news outside of our borders. Instead of linkbombing, maybe learning more about the politics and people behind the struggle may be more worth your time.

As the Rolling Stone article (my first link) notes, the technology being used in China to build a high-tech police state may find its way across borders into our neighborhoods.

#4 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

When I read the piece, I wasn't even thinking of link bombing. I would have responded the way Bill suggests, which is why I pointed it out.

Personally, I don't endorse link bombing. Writing thought provoking content on things we care about is the natural way to go and there are SEO's who understand this. (And some who don't.)

#5 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 6457 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:00 PM

This thread reminds me of what the Dalai Lama had to say about pro-Tibet protests over the Chinese Olympics. He said that support was appreciated, but if protests didn't keep to nonviolence he'd abdicate.

There are a lot of ways to make a point!

#6 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:58 PM

This thread reminds me of what the Dalai Lama had to say about pro-Tibet protests over the Chinese Olympics

I read that from him, too. It was good to see him take a public stance on the issue in a manner which attempted to difuse the possibility of violence.

Dalai Lama says not seeking independence from China

#7 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

Gotta second Bill. If a SEO has to put in his efforts into something, it'd rather be something to "Create Peace" (an awesome domain on the topic is already taken though :) ), rather than promoting sites that you have no control over (a risk of antagonism with the China government).

Now, tainting the Olympics and using them as a chance to cause political and other chaos isn't really the answer.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 18 May 2008 - 11:11 PM.

#8 AbleReach

AbleReach

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 6457 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:47 AM

I can't imagine Kim advocating link bombing, and I don't see the either-or black-and-white that Bill seems to speak of.

In every goal there are many degrees of choice. I can very much see the good in linking to relevant protest sites when describing related issues - what in the world is wrong with that? One relevant search result for people looking for information on human rights in China is information related to the China Olympics, and vice versa.

#9 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

Well, to me there are two directions: creating value and engaging in heated conversations. Only one way is preferrable, IMHO, the other leads no where.

Now, whatever you do, moves the situation to either of those. That's what Bill might be talking about.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 19 May 2008 - 06:53 AM.

#10 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13362 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:56 PM

There are many independent minded SEO's. I may sometimes be terribly naive, I admit. Like I said, I just didn't see the link bomb side of the story and it was likely right there in my face. Rather, I saw an opportunity to do something just and fair.

I think we lead by example as well.

#11 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

Here's something that the Dalai Lama has written about the Olympic Games being held in China, on April 6, 2008:

8. The hosting of the Olympic games this year is a matter of great pride to the 1.2 billion Chinese people. I have from the very beginning supported the holding of these Games in Beijing. My position on this remains unchanged. I feel the Tibetans should not cause any hindrance to the Games. It is the legitimate right of every Tibetan to struggle for their freedoms and rights. On the other hand, it will be futile and not helpful to anyone if we do something that will create hatred in the minds of the Chinese people. On the contrary, we need to foster trust and respect in our hearts in order to create a harmonious society, as this cannot be built on the basis of force and intimidation.

http://tibetoffice.o...h...6&well_id=2

#12 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:48 PM

Now that's the idea to SEO for :)

#13 whitemark

whitemark

Time Traveler Member

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1071 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:47 AM

We need to get our facts straight on Tibet.

(The author of the following excerpt is the current editor of India's oldest and second largest english newspaper, The Hindu, with a readership of 4+ million):

"A notable feature of recent Western media coverage of Tibet is the way journalism feeds off the disinformation campaign unleashed by the Dalai Lama’s headquarters and the votaries of Tibetan ‘independence,’ without any attempt at independent reporting. One favoured method, under the guise of responsible news reporting, is to rationalise publication of the most exaggerated and fanciful accounts by pleading lack of onsite access. BBC did this on its website on April 4, 2008 with reference to the riot in Garze in Sichuan Province by offering the caveat that “foreign media organisations cannot report freely from Tibetan areas, so it is difficult to confirm facts from the area” (http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/7330827.stm). This is news-speak for ‘anything goes’ for journalists on the other side of the ideological-political fence; they are freed from all rules of responsible and transparent sourcing and verification prescribed by codes of good journalistic practice and innumerable books on journalistic ethics.

The reality is that the riots that broke out in Lhasa on March 14, 2008 and claimed a death toll of 18 innocent civilians and a police officer and an injury toll of 382, including 241 police officers, were the handiwork of violent, thuggish, ransacking mobs. They included 300 militant monks from the Drepung Monastery, who marched in tandem with a foiled ‘March to Tibet’ by groups of monks across the border in India. The rioters committed murder, arson, and other acts of savagery against innocent civilians. The atrocities included dousing one man with petrol and setting him alight, beating a patrol policeman and carving out a fist-size piece of his flesh, and torching a school with 800 terrorised pupils cowering inside. The rioters set fire to seven schools, five hospitals, and 120 homes. They destroyed or looted 908 shops. The damage caused to public and private property was estimated at 244 million yuan ($35 million). Tourism, which is vital to the Tibetan economy, was set back seriously, with a sharp decline in the number of tourists and consequently hotel occupancy, and a blow to the catering business."

[Source: http://www.hinduonne...23251000400.htm ]

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users