• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 buendia

buendia

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:49 AM

First, this forum is a fantastic resource!

Second, i would like to know which blog program the forum would suggest.

My search has led me to Blogger and WordPress, but i know sites like MySpace and FaceBook have blogs, as well

What are the benefits and features i should evaluate? Which blog program fulfills these benefits and features? Is there anything i should avoid?

It is important that i select a program that has analytic tools and can "easily" develop SEO. i say "easily" in terms of the ease of ability to code key words to reflect SEO.

My intentions are to start small...to use a free program that is robust in features and that i can direct contact from my registered domain name. If i can convert and grow the site, i would like to employ a robust SEO and potentially move the site to a "stand alone community" with features that include a store front, Subscriber Sign-in/Registration, Message Board/Forum, etc...

I have always been a hobbyist writer and i am actively discussing opportunities with a few small agents to publish some of my work.

I'd like to use the blog as an avenue to publish some of my older pieces to the internet audience and to promote short stories and the feature length story i am just completing.

Thanks for the input and keep up the good work!

#2 Bompa

Bompa

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

hi buendia,

From what you've described, like someday moving to your own "space", I think
you'd be better off starting your blog on your own domain right from the start.

You can use Fantasico in most host's cpanel, to install a Wordpress blog or
several other types. Wordpress is the most popular and there are a ton of
themes and plugins available for it for future growth.

good luck,
Bompa

#3 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:58 AM

There are also some ASP.NET blogs coming into force now, and they are pretty powerful - Heres a couple of the best ones.

http://www.dotnetblogengine.net
http://www.subtextproject.com

They are constantly being updated and VERY easy to use... Personally I would highly recommend BlogEngine.NET, its a very powerful and well built program and whats more as default it uses XML files to store the data!

No need to mySQL or msSQL or any other DB setting up... Simply upload and away you go

#4 BillSlawski

BillSlawski

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15644 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:13 PM

Hi buendia,

Thanks for your kind words about the forum, and welcome aboard.

My intentions are to start small...to use a free program that is robust in features and that i can direct contact from my registered domain name. If i can convert and grow the site, i would like to employ a robust SEO and potentially move the site to a "stand alone community" with features that include a store front, Subscriber Sign-in/Registration, Message Board/Forum, etc...

Not sure what you mean by "that i can direct contact from my registered domain name."

Do you mean that you want to start by hosting the program on your own domain, or that you want to use a free domain like wordpress.com?

This is three years old, but not too dated:

Starting Your Own Blog: How to Choose the Right Blogging Tool for You
http://www.peachpit....e.aspx?p=412902

There are lots of choices of blogging software that you can use.

This page from wordpress.org ( http://codex.wordpre..._Where_to_Start ) has a section titled "Step One - Read" a little ways down the page with four links on it. The first three discuss blogging, and different features and their benefits, with the second and third focusing upon wordpress. Looking at those three pages might give you something to compare with other blogging software choices.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users