Cre8asiteforums Internet Marketing
and Conversion Web Design

Photo

Are Your Sites Like A Nerd In A Singles Bar?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

Dave Goldenberg has written a delightful insightful article in Digital Web magazine:
Why Do Web Startups Die? Lack of Alphalpha.

Website development is an internet startup is a business.
Really.

A killer of an opening line:

Internet startups are generally as successful as a nerd in a singles bar.

For those who might like to learn to swim before jumping in the deep end, know whether there be sharks or rocks below, how to put killer into their app/site so they are at least a rich successful nerd in that singles bar.

The biggest problem I’ve seen isn’t lack of talent, enthusiasm or even funding. It lies in skipping a critical early stage of development...forces you to answer questions that inform every succeeding step. So when you’re ready for beta, you’ve got something your target audience will comprehend and remember...the deliberations required to clearly answer the five alphalpha questions:

Before you start listing keywords, before wireframing or templating there is 'know thyself and to thyself be true'.

The question here is really: “What category are we in?”

Define your target audience as narrowly as possible. Consumers will know instantly whether you’re talking to them.

Positioning is differentiation from the others in your category...To be viable, your position must be unique in its category, clear, and, most importantly, relevant to your target audience...positioning, as they say, is the art of sacrifice.

There is no ‘right name’. Your company attributes don’t come from your name. They are given to your name over time by your products and communications.

Brands and companies, like people, are recognizable by their personalities. If yours is distinctive, people will come to recognize and relate to you.

From the comments there was the point that start-ups are also nimble and able to adapt as necessary. This is also true for webdevs who adjust/add content as visitor data analysis notes major (to minor, to minim) needs unfullfilled.

For one needs also know one's visitors and to their needs be true.
And then, knowing them and their needs,
You've got to pick-a-pocket or two, boys,
You've got to pick-a-pocket or two.

In this life, one thing counts
In the bank, large amounts
I'm afraid these don't grow on trees,
You've got to pick-a-pocket or two

:angel:
apologies to Lionel Bart

#2 earlpearl

earlpearl

Hall of Fame

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1654 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

I'm not sure about the rest of the OP, but that title just cracked me up!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :applause:

#3 Guest_scottiecl_*

Guest_scottiecl_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

Most startups aren't offering anything of value- that's the real issue I see. They want to copy someone else or they have such a farfetched concept that there's really not a way to monetize it.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users