• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sanity

sanity

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

I write a monthly article on building successful websites for an Australian business magazine. I have a deadline of next Tues and am a bit stumped for topics and was hoping I might get some suggestions here.

Some recent topics I have written on include:
  • Seven Sins of Website Design
  • Choosing the Right Web Designer
  • The Essentials of Internet Marketing
  • The Importance of Website Usability
  • Measuring the Success of Your Website
  • The Essential Guide to Business Blogging
I don't really focus on the technical, more on how small and medium businesses can run successful online ventures.

All topic ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks all! :flowers:

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5501 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:15 PM

Income from advertising (this could be a series it is such a rich vein)

Ways to save time in managing your site

Getting others to write your content

Linkbuilding (another series)

Keeping a log of what you change and how it hits the bottom line

Why you should read and post at forums (and why to keep your URL private there)

Achieving a higher average shopping cart total

Invest in yourself! (learn something)

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4645 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:55 PM

What Makes an Effective Business Web Site?
What Makes an Effective Web Page?
" Home Page
" Contact Page
" About Us Page

Why is Writing Copy for Your Web Site Different?
What Makes Effective Web Site Content?

The Business Benefits of an Accessible Web Site

What is Social Media and Why Should You Care?

Why Local Search is Important To Local Business

#4 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

There are some good suggestions here, thanks. I especially like Why Local Search is Important To Local Business, What Makes an Effective Business Web Site and What Makes Effective Web Site Content.

The What is Social Media and Why Should You Care is interesting although I would have to bone up myself first. Which isn't a problem.

EGOL I like your topics but they aren't quite so geared to to my audience - they are people who have a business and want to put it online - they generally don't have the time, or inclination, to do stuff themselves.

Keep those ideas coming...

#5 Respree

Respree

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5901 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:11 PM

Here are some ideas (phrase after the colon are sub-headlines).

* Website Conversions : The Art of Seduction
* Building Trust on your Website
* How To Get People to Return to Your Website : Time and Time Again
* Look at What All the Average People Are Doing : And, Don't Do That
* Creating a Unique Selling Proposition : Setting Yourself Apart from the Rest of the Pack
* Website Navigation : How to Get There (And Back Again)

Tuesday, huh? Not much time... (tick tock, tick tock)

#6 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5501 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:51 PM

they generally don't have the time, or inclination, to do stuff themselves

hmmm... if they bring that with them to the designer or SEO then I don't think that they make good clients - and I don't give their website good odds to achieve its potential.

I think that the owner should know more about their biz and their products than any designer or SEO. And, if they can't be bothered to tell their story (write the content) and pitch their products (write product details) then I would not want them as a client.

The owner should be bursting with a desire to communicate these things.

Also, every day they talk with their customers who speak the language of their products and biz niche. They should have an ability to contribute to the KW research in ways that the designer or SEO would never think of.

If they knew the importance of these they would not trust the designer or the SEO. (and the good SEO will realize that the client knows an awful lot more about this than any SEO or KW tool)

And, if they want to attract links to their site they are in a better position to write the authoritative reviews, suggestions for use and dream up creative linkbait than the designer or the SEO.

Winning on the web is all about having the best content, the best salesmanship and the best presentation. If they are not willing to invest that in their site then I don't think that it will succeed and they will blame the SEO or designer when it does not convert or compete.

As a result they are a poor bet for the designer or SEOs professional reputation.

Edited by EGOL, 12 June 2008 - 10:53 PM.

#7 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1886 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:14 AM

Assuming that the businesses all have corporate glossy's, mission statmentments and customer care policies along with a bunch of awards and certificate on the wall of reception, why not write an article about why all of this is worthless in a website.

'People online don't care about your business'

And then use Egols suggestion for the content.

#8 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:39 AM

Turning excellent EGOL's advice into a topic:

"Why and How to Bring Your Experience Online"

There sure could be:
- some strategies and concepts in putting the knowledge of the owners into articles that they might be reluctant to write
- how to motivate them
- how to make it painless for them
- what to start with creating expert content (the easiest types of content, probably lists, reviews, case studies, etc)

This can be tied into Garrick's suggestion on building trust with the website (this is an article I've written earlier that might help you get started much faster, if you choose to write about trust).

Edited by A.N.Onym, 13 June 2008 - 02:43 AM.

#9 Guest_scottiecl_*

Guest_scottiecl_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:28 PM

Cut Expenses with Your Web Site

Web sites aren't just there to make you money, they can save on expenses.

Reduced phone coverage (where are you located, what are your hours, do you have the latest widget in stock)
Forms distribution (people print their own needed forms with their own paper and ink at home)
Email more efficient for answering questions
Support
Marketing
etc... you get the idea.

Good luck with your article, Sophie!

#10 sanity

sanity

• Hall Of Fame
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:52 AM

Hey Scottie, long time no see. Your topic was just what I was after thanks. :flowers:

EGOL I'm not sure I agree with you (I think that is a first <_< ). Not all clients have a lot of time to invest in their website - however if they are prepared to pay someone to do the work and provide a clear brief and are willing to put in the effort required to give me the information I'm after then what's wrong with that? Being passionate about your business doesn't mean you have to do everything yourself. But this topic wasn't what I wanted to discuss...

There are some good suggestions from you all. I'm going to hunker down and get this one done, using Scottie's suggestion. But with our bubs imminent arrival I would like to get some more under my belt before he is born so I am interested in continuing the discussion.

<off to read Yura's article>

Actually Yura "Why and How to Bring Your Experience Online" sounds like a great next topic. Thanks again all, it's hard to come up with topics each month.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users