#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4609 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:30 PM

An absolutely priceless interview:

Eric Enge Interviews Yahoo's Priyank Garg

Priyank Garg is the director of product management for Yahoo! Search Technology (YST), the team responsible for the functionality of Yahoo!ís Web search engine including crawling, indexing, ranking, summarizing and spelling Web search functions along with products for webmasters, such as Site Explorer. During his three years at Yahoo!, Priyank has led many highly-visible product launches for Yahoo! Search and championed the cause of webmasters with Yahoo! Site Explorer and Yahoo! Sitemaps.

Thereís a lot of mythology in the industry sometimes around how links work. Links are a way for us to understand how Web sites and other people on the Web are recognizing other content that they have come across. The anchor text from that indicates context for the content that itís linking to...
The irrelevant links at the bottom of a page, which will not be as valuable for a user, donít add to the quality of the user experience, so we donít account for those in our ranking. All of those links might still be useful for crawl discovery, but they wonít support the ranking.
...the absolute percentage contribution of links and anchor text to the natural ranking of algorithms or to the importance in our ranking algorithms has gone down somewhat.
IĎm saying that people and site owners should think about the site in all aspects of the user experience, and not obsess about links as the only thing that drives traffic to them. Links are critical factors, good organic links are earned through great content and great value that will add to the usersí visibility on search engines. But they can do a lot of things in parallel that will also make the search engine visibility better and beyond the search.
...how a site lays out its contents; whatís the distribution of the quality of the content; whatís the spamminess of the content on the site; what is the spamminess of an individual page; what is the spamminess of a site in aggregate; whatís the emphasis on words on the page; whatís the context of anchor text of the page?

If I highlighted the important points I'd be republishing (sounds better than scraping :)) so go read the original.

Why are you still here? GO!

#2 meanne2007

meanne2007

Unlurked Energy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for this information, I will be alert now as soon as i received this kind of junk...

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users