4 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:33 PM

I am not sure whether Pierre has his tongue in his cheek but I suspect so:

...by visiting a page on each of their websites and click a button which sets a cookie that tells the system to not track your behavior.

Opt Out of Behavioral Ad Targeting

Once again the idiocy - and marketing advantage - of 'op-out'.

In a real privacy concerned system one should have 'opt-in' for a cookie and web behaviour deduced ads.

Instead we get followed unless we say to stop - BUT -
* what odds will you give me that that opt-out cookie simply means your travels are merely stored rather than (currently) used to 'aid' ad delivery?

* can anyone, with a straight face, believe that SEs and especially Google would 'give up' or 'throw away' such data rather than retain it for internal use only?

If I am all wet and quite wrong (an occassional occurrence :D) about the above - a cookie is a switch that can be clicked another way without notice. DoubleClick and the SEs have such sterling open records regarding data acquisition, retention, and reuse...

When I first heard this silliness all I could think of was the many constructive uses that DM and telemarketers have found for the various 'no solicitation' lists...

At least we don't have to view these behaviourly personalised targeted ads even when they are delivered... Hurrah for ad blockers and NoScript, Hurray!

But then iamlost.

#2 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

Tongue firmly in cheek my friend. You know how I feel about this subject, and I've ranted enough, and it seems others just don't care enough. So I'll just sit quietly in my corner.

#3 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9018 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:51 PM

I agree. In these situations, it's better to play dead and hope they'll go for someone else. :D

#4 _jc

_jc

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

Kinda like opting out of a spam email piece - you just know they're going to say, "Hey look, we got a live one, add them to our higher priced "Proved good and opted-in premium spam list!".

#5 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2135 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:38 PM

... and 127.0.0.1 as in 127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com et cetera
Amen

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users