• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 3821 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

Ok, Google has been beta testing Ad Manager but now opens it up to everyone (well everyone who has an Adsense account, anyway. If you don't have an Adsense account, you have to get one). http://adsense.blogs...r-everyone.html

The concept is cool. One place to manage all your advertising spots, no matter where they come from. Sell some ads directly? Manage 'em there. Use an ad network? Or two or three networks? Manage 'em there. Want Adsense to fill in some empty holes? Manage it there. And apparently, Google can decide which ads to use based on which will earn us the most money, although I assume some ads have been contracted to appear at least X amount of times, so hopefully that is factored in.

The problem for me is that I'm just not in the mood to learn one more thing. I was just glancing through the Google Ad Manager Help Center (which annoys me because I have to use my back button a million times to see answers to each section). Anyway, it just quickly started turning into lots of mumbo jumbo, my eyes glazed over, and I lost interest.

I'm sure I'll come back and start with a fresh brain soon, because it's obviously something that I should use, but I feel like I have to go take Ad Management classes now. Sigh...

I know some of you have been using the Beta version. Your thoughts and impressions would be great.

Edited by dazzlindonna, 26 August 2008 - 03:39 PM.

#2 Guest_rustybrick_*

Guest_rustybrick_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

I love it, been using it for several months now.

In fact, for those who want a quick way to set up ads using it, I wrote up a tutorial on that

http://www.rustybric...articles_13.php

Hope it helps.

#3 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9012 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:38 PM

Thanks, Barry, that looks to be a very useful resource.

:applause:

#4 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3821 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:16 PM

Wow, Barry, much thanks. But see, even though that tutorial is SUPERB, it still blows my mind. I really need to come back to this at a time when my brain is really clear. But definitely, that tutorial rocks. Thanks again.

#5 Guest_rustybrick_*

Guest_rustybrick_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:22 AM

Yes, Google Ad Manager is very powerful. I actually spoke with a Wired.com reporter yesterday about it and I think I confused her more than helped her, after finishing the call. It does so much. My tutorial kind of dumbs it down a lot. There are so many more features that I did not go into.

#6 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4629 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:16 PM

Ad Manager is so good that John Andrews is Going to Work for Google.
Note: bold emphasis is mine.

I know this will come as a shock to many of you, but Iíve accepted a position working for Google effective September 1, 2008. After 5 years of full time independence as a Competitive Webmaster and SEO Consultant, and after building out hundreds of web sites for my own publishing network and a collection of trusted clients, Iíll be signing on with The Google. It has been tremendously exciting, fun, and beneficial to have functioned independently during this past 5 years of amazing change in Internet Land. But I canít fool myself any longer. Google is winning, Google will win, and if I want to win, my best opportunities are with Google. Plain and simple.

And after all the hype, you just knew there the famous 'Andrew's Hook' was a'coming:
Note: bold emphasis is his

All of the above simply describes just how much business intelligence and inside data access Google would get about my web businesses if I sign up for their new ďfreeĒ Google Ad Manager service offering. Actually, Iím not signing on. Iíd have to be stupid to sign on and give them all of that access. Completely insane.

And I agree with him.

Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly,
'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to shew when you are there."
And now dear little children, who may this story read,
To idle, silly flattering words, I pray you ne'er give heed:
Unto an evil counsellor, close heart and ear and eye,
And take a lesson from this tale, of the Spider and the Fly.
--Mary Howitt

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users