• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mrlace2003

mrlace2003

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:29 AM

Just like on page SEO, I've heard rumors about link building. Now, I'd like to receive the proper answers that tell the truth :)

#1, You own a website that sells gift baskets. You post 150 blog comments to 150 different blog sites.
Each comment has a well written message about the topic. Your link and anchor text has been included in your blog comment. Would this be looked at as spam by the search engines?

#2, Regarding question #1. You use a different IP address or proxy to submit blog comments. Again, each blog comments is unique. Also, you use a different anchor text for each blog comment. Would this still be looked
at as spam by the search engines?

#3, You submit your own site to blog comments. A month later someone pays you good $$$ to submit their site to blog comments. This person also owns a gift basket website. Would places such as google pick up that you did all the postings for both sites? If yes, would your site be banned from google?

#4, Your website is very much liked by 500 people. In fact, all 500 people decide to link to your website in a 48 hour period. Would this be looked at by search engines as spam?

#2 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1884 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:01 AM

#1 and #2. Blog comments are just about ignored by all the search engines despite the fact that most of them have a nofollow tag so it's a waste of effort. You might get some traffic but could get an awful lot more via a PPC campaign.

#3. Why would you want to swap links with a competitor? No you won't get banned but the link will problably just be ignored by the SE.

#4. No, that's what happens when a site goes viral, thousands of links on blogs and other social media in a short space of time can massively increase your traffic then 24 hours later it will all go back to normal. 500 directory links in 24 hours is not good and will be investigated. You might not get a ban but your ranking will almost certainly suffer.

Hope this answers your questions.

#3 phaithful

phaithful

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:21 AM

Of course only the SEs "really" know, but here's my opinion:

1. No (but who cares, most blogs nofollow comments and those links are worth very little)

2. Uh... are you posting 150 comments on the same blog? if no, then no need to rotate your IP. It's not like the webpage sends information about the IP address of every commenter to the se-bot.

3. Probably not (but again, who cares? those links aren't worth a lot

4. It depends on what your current link pattern, rate of links you naturally receive, link pattern of sites within your niche, and the link pattern of those 500 sites. If too many factors look unnatural, it might trigger some signals to the SEs and they may flag your site for review.

For instance, if you run a marketing blitz / social marketing campaign, it's not uncommon to receive a "spike" in links, but if you received a spike in links and these links all came from known spammy sites, and they all came from industries that aren't your own ... that would look very suspect.

But since these 500 people really like your site, you probably have good content. So you shouldn't need to futz around with blog comment "link building".

Keep building great content, and market your site. Genuinely participating in blog communities are a great way to build exposure, but not a great way to build links. However, if you continue to build great content, that exposure will eventually turn into links and those links will gradually snowball.

#4 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5477 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:50 AM

#1, You own a website that sells gift baskets. You post 150 blog comments to 150 different blog sites.
Each comment has a well written message about the topic. Your link and anchor text has been included in your blog comment. Would this be looked at as spam by the search engines?

Most of these links will be nofollowed and not count. If they are not nofollowed that site will probably have a LOT of links out to dubious content. They will be worth very little. I would not spend one minute of my time on this.

#2, Regarding question #1. You use a different IP address or proxy to submit blog comments. Again, each blog comments is unique. Also, you use a different anchor text for each blog comment. Would this still be looked at as spam by the search engines?

If you dip crap in chocolate it is still crap

#3, You submit your own site to blog comments. A month later someone pays you good $$$ to submit their site to blog comments. This person also owns a gift basket website. Would places such as google pick up that you did all the postings for both sites? If yes, would your site be banned from google?

Google knows more about you than you think. But nobody knows exactly what they know or how they act upon it. But.. don't do what you would not do if Google or your Mom was watching and knew what you were doing and why.

#4, Your website is very much liked by 500 people. In fact, all 500 people decide to link to your website in a 48 hour period. Would this be looked at by search engines as spam?

Depends who else those other websites are linking to. Great websites link to content that is related to their own theme. Crap sites link to anything.

If links are easy to get they are worth very little.

#5 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:15 AM

What all of these replies are telling you is that it isn't that simple.

The quantity of links doesn't matter on its own, for either good or bad. It is the quality that makes the quantity relevant.

Let's put this another way, if something is worth nothing, then 500 of the same thing are still worth nothing. Multiplying anything with a value of zero always equals zero.

The real question is how to get any link, even just one, that is worth something. Not worth zero. Then multiplying that becomes worthwhile.

Blog comment links are largely worth zero. Chance of randomly finding one that isn't is about a thousand to one against you.

Looking elsewhere for valuable links will repay your time investment a lot better.

#6 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 2065 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

I think you can easily answer these questions for yourself, and by extension any similar question that pops into your head, by realizing that the search engines see a link as a vote for the target web site. There are great votes and there are lousy votes, and everything in between the extremes.

So, within that spectrum, where do you think your own vote for your own site is likely to land? :)

#7 DrPete

DrPete

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:29 PM

Just speaking to #1, if you post 150 blog comments to blogs that have nothing to do with gift baskets, even if those comments are legitimate, the already dubious link value will be even less. As Ammon said, there are a lot of quality factors involved. I have all sorts of back-links from sites I happened to post on with my URL, such as friend's blogs in unrelated areas, political blogs, etc. - even the followed links contribute very little to my ranking.

As a blogger, let me try to get you to look at it differently. What if, instead, you posted regularly on 10-20 blogs, all of which were relevant to the gift-basket market somehow (not necessarily competitors, but on-topic sites with prospective buyers). You'd eventually encourage relationships and, with them, natural back-links from those authors that would have more weight than you blog comments. Those links would also be more likely to generate traffic and get picked up by other sources. That effort, IMO, would be much better rewarded.

#8 loki

loki

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:12 PM

If you dip crap in chocolate it is still crap

sometimes you've just got to fluff the rat and call it a poodle!

#9 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5477 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

lol.... You can fluff it and call it anything... but what Google thinks is what matters.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users