• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2332 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:06 AM

I goto google. I type in a keyword, and ahead of the generic results I get shown a little Google map and then some abbreviated headings and reviews for anything from 1-10 results. Then the usual organic results follow.

My question is what affects the rank in these listings? It is not alphabetical and not based on the number of reviews. I'd be curious to know whether old fashioned optmization contributes or not to the positioning. Since doing the old skool style optimization I am seing a much greater referrals from Google maps....

BK throw me one of your crumbs!! :cheers:

Glyn

#2 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

https://www.google.com/local/add/

#3 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2332 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the link, it seems every time I turn my back Google is further trying to certify the web.

Actually I am more interested in exactly whether the Google Algo fishes keywords from home page content and then uses these to present listings in the Maps view.

Cheers.
Glyn

#4 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4456 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

I don't do much local optimisation but in my reading and minor experiences I have come to the conclusion that Local search is in flux. The algos are still being tuned: observations and suggestions from 2006 differ somewhat from 2007 and 2008 to date has seen some big changes.

When best practices have yet to be 'nailed down' they default to following those investing the time and effort - and who are willing to share:
Mike Blumenthal
Miriam Ellis
Stephen Espinosa
David Mihm
Andrew Shotland
Greg Sterling

As to your specific question about content keywords I suspect that would be either a last resort or a check filter rather than a default occurrence. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

#5 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

Hi Glyn,
Google's organic and local algos are different. Let me give you a couple of links here I think will be really helpful in jumpstarting your understanding of Local. These are 2 projects I have been involved in this past year, the goal of which was to gain a good understanding of Google's Local Algo.

This One was organized by David Mihm and is a survey of some 30 Local Search practitioners regarding the factors most influential in the algorithm.

This One was organized by Mike Blumenthal. Five of us got together and reviewed literally hundreds of local business data sets, recording the information we encountered. This was then given to a statistician who crunched the numbers for us to help us determine which Local ranking factors are most influential.

In my opinion, these are groundbreaking and unique studies and should be helpful to anyone trying to get to the heart of the Local algo.

Miriam

#6 DrPete

DrPete

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

I'll second (third?) David Mihm's piece on local ranking factors - local search is quickly becoming it's own specialty and is just as complex as traditional SEO. SEOIgloo is also too modest, as she is herself a local search expert of some repute. BTW, just for reference purposes, Google calls that area before the normal SERPs the "OneBox".

#7 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2332 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:02 AM

Thank you all for this additional information, I will be sure to take a read through the posted links. What I have noticed is that following the optimization of the clients domain, I was getting a much higher volume of traffic of keywords under which I had optimized the main site, via the Google maps.

Glyn.

#8 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Admin - Top Level
  • 8995 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:00 AM

I think the key is that Google often delivers personalized ads by region so it's attempting to put the best local resources in the SERPs in front of the right eyes. It's a win/win.

#9 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:55 PM

Dr. Pete...you are too kind. :)
Miriam

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users