Someone is getting theirs.

#2 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13365 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:54 PM

About time!

* Misrepresenting the ability to significantly increase traffic to customer Web sites by achieving top search-engine rankings and failing to deliver other promised services.

* Falsely claiming an affiliation with other marketers including Specialty Merchandise Company, a so-called drop-ship wholesaler.

* Claiming that its customer service representatives can be reached at any time when, in fact, customers are often unable to reach representatives and sometimes do not receive return calls.

* Failing to provide refunds or honor cancellation requests.

* Continuing to bill the credit cards of some consumers who have attempted to cancel and submitting alleged debts to collection agencies.

* And, failing to register with the Department of Licensing as a commercial telephone solicitor and failing to provide written confirmation of a consumer's rights under the Commercial Telephone Solicitation Act.

#3 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the link, Bobbb.

Who I wish would get busted is those companies that claim to be your domain registrar and send you multiple letters in envelopes with patriotic flags on them. They are such con men.

I'm not one who likes to see people punished, but it makes me so furious to think of businesses scamming and ripping off small business owners. I see the small business owner as an American treasure, deserved of protection and support. It rankles to see him/her taken advantage of.

Miriam

#4 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

So it has started eh.

While I don't want to discuss this particular company, what happens when you promise a client more traffic, but don't have the time and budget to get it? What if you deliver below expectations, even though:
- you have done all you could
- the SEs changed algorithms
- competitors overdelivered

Wouldn't it be a simple time/budget issue, not the case of your expertise? How do you prove that this is the case, that you are not a fraud? Not that it makes you and your client a good decision maker, of course.

If the company gets sued, other SEOs might suffer for overpromising and underdelivering in an ever changing landscape.

Now, I am not saying it's bad, but, perhaps, there will be some good SEOs in the mix, as well. Perhaps they have educated the clients on the possibilities of ROI and their clients won't sue them.

Edited by A.N.Onym, 15 November 2008 - 10:55 PM.

#5 bobbb

bobbb

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1932 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

I'm sure this is aimed at snake oil sellers, but if this takes off, I'm also sure some real (sincere) SEO poeple will get hurt by this.

I'm forever getting e-mail promising me top spot in G, Y, M. If I had the motivation (and money to throw away) I would take one on and ask for top spot for: car or dog or even better, the S word. Would like to see that.

#6 novelco

novelco

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:17 PM

I think this needed to happen. The black eye on this industry is hard to ignore and it's an image I have to fight all of the time. Now, you obviously have to protect yourself with whatever agreement you have with the customer. Afterall, what if their product just is not in demand? If you can document everything you've done, and provide monthly reports showcasing this, you really should not run into this problem. They failed to communicate with their customers, and that's where you fail as a business. I'm not worried about any negative aspects of this affecting me, as I am always in communication with my clients and have a genuine interest in helping them succeed. I mean afterall, it's in my best interest!

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users