#1 cre8pc

cre8pc

Dream Catcher Forums Founder

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13470 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

Oh Geez!

Yesterday, Google launched SearchWiki

a way for you to customize search by re-ranking, deleting, adding, and commenting on search results. With just a single click you can move the results you like to the top or add a new site.

holycrap.jpg

:fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

#2 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13470 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:05 AM

I'm not sure I get it...

I moved (promoted) some of my search results:

move1.jpg

left, opened a new window and ran the same search and it now looks like this:

move2.jpg

is this seen by only me or everybody?

#3 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13470 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

Ok...

Here's the scoop...Was too busy the past few days. See what happens when you're not glued to the sidewalk?

Google SearchWiki Launches, Lets You Build Your Own Search Results Page

SEO Implications?

Google emphasizes that changes made in the SearchWiki interface will have no impact on the traditional ranking of web pages. If you put your own site in the 1st position for your primary keywords, you’re the only Google user who’ll see your site at the top of the rankings. Your site will, however, be included when users click the “See all notes for this SearchWiki” link at the bottom of the page; that link leads to another page that shows what results other users have re-ordered, removed, or added.

Still, Dupont didn’t completely rule out the possibility that user data from SearchWiki may someday impact regular search rankings. I asked what would happen if 10,000 people all added “Matt McGee’s Widget Page” to their own results for the phrase [widget]. “We’re always looking at user data as a signal,” Dupont says. And in a situation like that? “We’re not closing any doors.”

#4 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13470 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:54 AM

From Google's official announcemen:

The changes you make only affect your own searches. But SearchWiki also is a great way to share your insights with other searchers. You can see how the community has collectively edited the search results by clicking on the "See all notes for this SearchWiki" link.

Sooo, what's to stop someone from purposely trying to deflate rankings by feeding into these search results?

#5 Joshua Sciarrino

Joshua Sciarrino

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:05 AM

Sooo, what's to stop someone from purposely trying to deflate rankings by feeding into these search results?

I'd say the crowd's reaction will prevent this. Like, it's much more difficult to get 10,000 people to "up vote" a page, in the USA.

I'm sure Google could look at the ip's and say 'Hmm thousands are "up-ing" this one page, from India, yet the page is in the USA, shown to mainly USA people'.

I see how this can work on a LARGE scale but..........I think this would effect the short tail more than the long tail. Long tail people tend to have a question, urge to buy, or w/e. I doubt they will waste their time on google to 'up' the answer. People are busy but I'm sure google will get significant amount of data from those that participate.

Plus, if I were Google, I'd void the first 2 weeks. :) Cause everyone testing the widget. :(

Edited by Joshua Sciarrino, 21 November 2008 - 01:06 AM.

#6 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13470 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:11 AM

I've seen Shoemoney ask people to vote up his favorite choice for contests and in mere seconds the entire thing is shot to hell and his choice wins by a landslide.

Google seriously underestimates the power of some SEO's :)

#7 Joshua Sciarrino

Joshua Sciarrino

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:17 AM

Haha! Go shoemoney!!!

No, I think they understand. Taking risk is key. They know Yahoo/MSN can be a huge threat, and a new browser is something MSN is already doing with IE 8.

I'm sure just like Google Bombing, with great exposure, comes the googlers watching :). So, if they see people inflate stuff because of a 'large following', that might cause them to make an addition to the algo.

Google says they like a level playing field and because of this idea, they have paved the way for many businesses to compete in tough industries. I'm sure they will maintain this creed. (Crosses fingers)

Edited by Joshua Sciarrino, 21 November 2008 - 01:18 AM.

#8 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:57 AM

Part of what you've seen, Kim, is from the SU toolbar. Somewhere in the options there's an option to show SU links in the SERPs.

However, I am using Opera and the buttons don't work :) Long live the few per cent of Opera users, who no one cares about.

#9 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:15 AM

Hmmmm oh dear I can see this being abused! Personally I just see this as giving the black hatters another tool in their arsenal.... Or the spammers from certain un-named countries really abusing this.

Imagine a large company, with say a few hundred employees... Whats stopping the marketing department emailing all the employees asking them to login at work using their work email address AND at home using their personal email address and boosting the companies website above their competitors?

I like the fact Google are starting to be a little inventive, but I just don't think this is the way to do it... Look how Digg is manipulated.

Just my two pence worth...

#10 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:42 AM

I don't think you guys have to worry (or for that matter, hope) too much about things being propogated to other people's accounts :). Seriously, no need to waste time on voting things up and down in hope of it affecting the search results in general.

John

#11 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:41 AM

Well, in that case, that'll only affect the results *and ads* that I am shown, right? :)

Then again, it's too good of a bite of info for G to miss. Do you speculate G won't use it in the future, John?

#12 JohnMu

JohnMu

• Hall Of Fame
  • 3518 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:54 AM

I think we'll look at the data to see how relevant it is... but keep in mind that we had thumbs-up/thumbs-down in the Toolbar for quite a while now and that (as far as I know) never resulted in anything that was usable for all users. At any rate, I wouldn't hope too much :).

If I had to choose between spending time voting for my own sites (or organizing friends to do that) or spending time improving my sites, I think the answer would be pretty clear :(.

John

#13 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5365 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:08 AM

Google can say that they will not use that data but most people don't read what google says. So they will be out hammering those buttons and paying others to do it.

I think that there will be a lot of chuckles in the GooglePlex about what goes on with those buttons.

#14 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

The proportion who will use such buttons will be incredibly small and that group will be very different from the average user. As data it is an incredibly bad sample from which to draw inferences about how the average person out there might rate that web page.

If you think the Alexa Toolbar gives you skewed data because of the unrepresentative group who have decided to install the Toolbar, this will be worse by an order of magnitude or worse.

#15 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:31 AM

My thoughts:

1. Google probably won't use the data in any meaningful way because of the very reasons everyone else already mentioned.
2. People in our industry will go crazy clicking the up buttons hoping that MAYBE it will help their sites, and clicking the down buttons hoping that MAYBE it will hurt their competitors.
3. It really will be useful to those people who use it for what it was meant to be used for.
4. It won't be used by many people once the newness wears off.
5. Based on all of that, I think it's mostly a non-issue.

#16 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4364 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:42 AM

I took a look, and will not be clicking any buttons! I generally check Google to see how my sites fare - if I vote for them, or down vote the competition, then I will not know what is really going on (if I am logged in, which I invariably am).

I have added one comment to one of my pages, just to see if there is any noticable change. But that is it for now for me!

#17 AbleReach

AbleReach

• Site Administrators
  • 6467 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:01 AM

2. People in our industry will go crazy clicking the up buttons hoping that MAYBE it will help their sites, and clicking the down buttons hoping that MAYBE it will hurt their competitors.

Do you think that the end result is that Google will have more insight on who is likely to manipulate or abuse?

To me, for those users, this smells a bit like a nanny cam.

#18 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

Do you think that the end result is that Google will have more insight on who is likely to manipulate or abuse?

Maybe, but I doubt it would be really worth their time to track. But maybe...

#19 DrPete

DrPete

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:31 AM

Ignoring the abuse aspect for a second (not that it's not important), what's the up-side? Is this just so I can make my SERPs look the way I want so they're easier to go back to later? This is basically for people who navigate entirely through Google, probably not a practice that we should be encouraging.

#20 tambre

tambre

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:31 AM

The changes you make only affect your own searches. But SearchWiki also is a great way to share your insights with other searchers. You can see how the community has collectively edited the search results by clicking on the "See all notes for this SearchWiki" link.

from what i'm reading it appears like SearchWiki is rolled into Personalized Results. so, from what i understand i'll only be able to GPromote or GDemote the results that show in my results with no adverse affects to the non-personalized serps?
kinda sounds like Digg model, except they're going a round about way to show the collective results.

i look forward to see how this is gonna play out :) and can't wait to learn more about it and play with it.

Edited by tambre, 21 November 2008 - 11:32 AM.

#21 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13470 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:47 AM

Anyone know if the release is segmented to some parts of the world? Can Canadians get to it? Japan? Who can and can't see SearchWiki?

#22 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4567 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:59 AM

Google has been on a widget/enhancement release binge lately. And I see several reasons:
* every release gains new Google mentions which keeps their brand front and centre. It is particularly important in the current economic mess that Google appear to have positive momentum.

* every toy addition brings some new number and holds some additional number even more within the homogeny. Google is becoming the Walmart of information.

* Google has begun judging employee production to new standards and the gizmo creators are demonstrating their value.

* it's the holiday season.

#23 phaithful

phaithful

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

I for one see this as a positive, and definitely an interesting search signal for Google once they have a critical mass of users using it.

To date we've only had implicit collaborative filtering of the search results. Where links, CTR, and "other factors" determine what is displayed to the users and as others in the collective interact with the search result pages, the rankings and universal layouts change accordingly.

With this explicit mechanism of + / -, once there is enough users, I'd expect the search results to be similar to the Digg methodology of explicit collaborative filtering. Similar to Joshua's point, if this signals is applied to 'head terms' where the search volume is huge, the chances of the 'shoemoney effect' are limited and less likely to have an effect on the overall signal.

Of course to Kim's point, for 'long-tail terms' the chances of manipulation would be greater. At that point I'd assume that only data will be collected on those terms, and there will be less of a global change to all users for those niche keyword phrases.

Edited by phaithful, 21 November 2008 - 12:34 PM.

#24 Joshua Sciarrino

Joshua Sciarrino

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:42 PM

You know. Reading all your comments is making me jealous, I still don't see the searchwiki on my account :)

#25 tambre

tambre

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

You know. Reading all your comments is making me jealous, I still don't see the searchwiki on my account

neither do i :)

#26 DrPete

DrPete

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

Anyone know if the release is segmented to some parts of the world? Can Canadians get to it? Japan? Who can and can't see SearchWiki?

I asked on Twitter, and it seems like a lot of folks either still don't have it or had it pop up just yesterday. No replies from international folks yet. Google's releasing a lot of stuff this week, and it seems like the release schedule is a mystery. I managed to get bumped up in the queue for one product, and now I seem to magically be getting all releases early. I hope that lasts.

#27 tambre

tambre

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

i asked a friend of mine from india and we haven't seen anything... he said he'd check later too.

i posted the question to my facebook because i have some friends in canada and japan. i haven't heard anything. i'd be amused to see what of my west coast and east coast people reply, if they choose to.

#28 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:15 PM

I haven't seen it yet on any searches here in Western Canada. :)

#29 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5365 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

Hey.... I really like this feature!

This is better than personalized bookmarks. When doing research I can prune the sites that I don't want and get a personalized SERP that has favorites of mine, promoted by Google, and eliminated by me. There is also an easy way to get deleted sites back when research is done or if you change your mind. An ability to type comments is valuable (but can other people see them? - I'd like to see a lot more documentation on this from google. Some things I want private but if comments go public it enables an entirely different use.

I am going to be using this a lot when doing research. Also, if you build links by hunting through the SERPs it will be very valuable.

When you click one of the "X" buttons it is really funny how that site disappears in a puff of smoke! lol

I also like to see how many people have given my sites and my competitor sites the "up arrow"

#30 Joshua Sciarrino

Joshua Sciarrino

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

but can other people see them? - I'd like to see a lot more documentation on this from google. Some things I want private but if comments go public it enables an entirely different use.

From Matt Cutts, yes/no, others will be able to see your notes. Link

Matt says 'by default no' but you can modify it.

Edited by Joshua Sciarrino, 21 November 2008 - 02:06 PM.

#31 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5365 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

Thank you Joshua.

#32 Jem

Jem

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

I can see this new toy. I thought for a second my browser had been hijacked with spyware somehow, until I saw the "Learn more" link at the bottom.

Given that I don't read any of the Google blog thingies, that wasn't the best way I have been introduced to a new feature!

#33 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13470 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

Testing!

Who can see the test note I made on mine? (searched with this string

testsw.jpg

I checked in Opera, logged off, and SearchWiki doesn't show up.

Definitely need a Google account to see/use it.

#34 Joshua Sciarrino

Joshua Sciarrino

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Finally!!! It works!

No Kim, I don't see your comment yet.

#35 SEOigloo

SEOigloo

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2100 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:37 PM

I finally see it!

Okay, I have some questions:

1) If you down vote a site, is that permanent? Will it never appear again or will it, perhaps, appear again following Google adjusting their own algorithm.

2) If you down vote a site, and then sign out of your G account, does the site reappear?

Anyone know?

#36 Joshua Sciarrino

Joshua Sciarrino

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

From what I've read:
1. No.(You can change it back if you want)
2. Yes. (It's only for people logged in their g account)

Edited by Joshua Sciarrino, 21 November 2008 - 07:41 PM.

#37 DonnaFontenot

DonnaFontenot

• Site Administrators
  • 3790 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

Danny did an excellent Google SearchWiki 101: An Illustrated Guide over on SEL. Pretty much every question you can think of is answered there.

#38 bwelford

bwelford

• Site Administrators
  • 9005 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

Well I'm now seeing the up-and-down buttons in Canada and also some comments. However even with Danny's explanation, I found the whole thing somewhat confusing and could never find Kim's comments. I think they've got to go back to the usability drawing board on this. I'm sure that many users will be frustrated by the trial-and-error process since it comes up mostly with errors.

#39 Joshua Sciarrino

Joshua Sciarrino

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

Click here barry

Just make sure your logged in, the notes can be seen once you scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'see all notes'

Also, I think if Google did NOTHING, this functionality will be great for users. It's an amazon, web 2.0 ish, feature. Where community reigns.

Spam will always happen but reputation management has now become a bigger issue, if they begin to display this publicly.

Edited by Joshua Sciarrino, 21 November 2008 - 09:16 PM.

#40 cre8pc

cre8pc

• Admin - Top Level
  • 13470 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

I admit it COULD be a useful tool, but the learning curve bugs me. I have to think about how to use it... I do believe the usability folks at Google are smart and likely watching and listening to all this user testing.

I added a new comment to mine, refreshed, and my first test note disappeared. There was second one made and I didn't think I had made that one, so I called my latest one #3. Not sure why newer comments would override older ones. That can't be right.

Not sure I would use SearchWiki for personal use because I'm not convinced I'm the only one seeing what I see or the changes I might make. And, I have a bad feeling about it being used to hurt reputations. If someone wants to spit on someone's web site publicly, we really need to have control over ugly comments.

Danny's review is great work but didn't put my mind at ease. Confidence is a big part of the user experience and I don't feel confident about SearchWiki yet.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users