• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

Yahoo is testing a major jump in PPC advertising potential: Your Ads, Richer, Yahoo! Search Marketing Blog, 18 Feb 2009.

...the [ppc] ads have looked more or less the same: A headline, a line of ad copy, a link. They havenít changed because, frankly, the combination works pretty well. But what if search ads could show more?

With Yahoo!ís new Rich Ads in Search, they can. Yahoo! has been testing a new service that lets advertisers add video, images and custom search boxes to their search ads. The results are ads that can combine the relevance of search with the impact of rich media. A small group of advertisers tested it in the fourth quarter of 2008 and saw click-through rates rise by as much as 25 percent. Theyíve also seen improved brand exposure and conversion rates.

This is really really important for two reasons:
1. they are 'borrowing' some of my direct ad sales ideas, which levels the playing field - and against a major SE level is far from fair. The value difference between site ads and ppc ads just narrowed, a lot.

2. the ppc ads will be much more attractive, eye-catching, and traffic generating than the associated organic query returns. Not only will that ppc grab the eyeballs but the filtering potential is massive:

Include boxes within the listing that lets users search for their desired product or a store location directly without additional navigation. Esuranceís listing lets users enter their ZIP codes from the results page for insurance quotes.

I do very very well with Yahoo traffic but if/when this new ppc format goes mainstream I expect a major traffic hit.

The value exchange ratio between sites and SEs is tipping rapidly.

Extra incentive to continue my non-SE traffic generation efforts.

#2 EGOL

EGOL

Professor

• Hall Of Fame
  • 5481 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for sharing that.

I bet these ads will produce more revenue for publisher sites.

Some publishers will not mind the images integrated into the ads but others will not want the images. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Edited by EGOL, 19 February 2009 - 01:25 PM.

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4633 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

I bet these ads will produce more revenue for publisher sites.

Not as currently proposed as this aimed solely at search not content.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users