Ben

#2 Angela Charles

Angela Charles

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:46 AM

Hi Ben,

Just setting up foreign domains and pointing them to your U.S.-hosted site won't help. You'd really need to host in those countries to get the benefit of having a foreign domain.

Having pages in the language of the intended audience is very important to getting into the various foreign language search engines. That can be done on the main site as a subdirectory, rather than creating new sites with different domains. We have a number of b2b clients that target markets internationally, and this has worked well for them.

#3 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

This is a big question, Ben Gunn, with many possible answers and as usual it all depends.

Remember that Google and the other search engines index and rank one web page at a time. So the approach that Angela suggests, particularly for B2B companies operating in markets with limited competition, will likely work fine if that single page is well constructed.

If you are dealing with much more competitive markets, then you should get into individual domains hosted in the appropriate countries if you can do that. Sometimes non-residents cannot, for example in Canada. If you can in a highly competitive market, then you should go the extra mile and get some good content in as many web pages as you can. As usual, I will offer my perennial advice that this is best done through a blog format.

Best of luck.

#4 Angela Charles

Angela Charles

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

I probably should have clarified. We don't recommend single pages be translated; instead, we translate complete sites, and put them in a subdirectory such as: http://www.xyzcompan...sch/default.asp.

The more native-language content the better for foreign SEO, just like the U.S. engines.

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users