• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2338 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:31 AM

My bookmarks so are lethal, that I need to protect them :angel: If they fell into the wrong hands...how many first places I would be giving them!

While I can lock down all my passwords in Firefox and ask for a prompt, I'd really like to be able to put all my bookmarks under lock and key. Maybe such that in the morning I login to my bookmarks, and at the end of the day I log out.

I know you're screaming Social Media Bookmarking, but I don't want to do that. They are for my eyes only.

It would be cool to have a solution to this.

Any ideas?

G.

#2 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

Heh. I solved this exact problem back in 1999 or 2000.

I basically created a little PHP script that has been my homepage since then. It's a very (VERY!) basic bookmark manager that supports groups of links, link creation and deletion. All this is wrapped up under a login prompt.

It's hosted on one of my servers and every browser I use has it as the home page. And since it's on the web, I use it even when I'm travelling.

It's easily the oldest working code I wrote. I really ought to update it...

Pierre

#3 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Admin - Top Level
  • 4457 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

KeePass Password Safe on a USB stick.

KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key file. So you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted...

#4 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2338 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

Ek, I was thinking of something similar, by putting my bookmarks online on an html page behind a password protected folder but

a) I like my folders...click and open.
B) I couldn't add bookmarks to a static page.

I'll work something out.

The ideal would be to be able to reference a page which you could add bookmarks to in Firefox and just point your preferences to the server. But I'm dreaming.

G.

#5 eKstreme

eKstreme

Hall of Fame

• 1000 Post Club
  • 3399 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

a) I like my folders...click and open.
B) I couldn't add bookmarks to a static page.

Well this is not static: it's a full-blown script that lets you add and delete URLs in your collection, and categorize them in groups (like folders). It's not a hard piece of code if you have an hour to spare...

P

#6 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2338 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:07 AM

Did a bit of Digging and this, behind a password looks like it will do just the trick:
http://www.frech.ch/...arks/addons.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users