• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 scoobysteve

scoobysteve

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 05:00 AM

Are there any kind folk out there willing to take a look at my URL and see if there are any major areas that need attention THANK YOU in advance

Cheeky I know but I happen to think its OK, so I am wondering why I am suffering at the hands of google on certain phrases. Thanks again
http://www.algarveteamproperties.co.uk
Steve

#2 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 07:18 AM

what key phrases?

#3 scoobysteve

scoobysteve

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 07:32 AM

UKDaz Portugal property, Algarve Property and the plurals. Thnx

#4 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 08:26 AM

Hi scoobysteve

I only have time for a quick run through this morning, but I'll' try to throw some suggestions out to you:

Get rid of these, they do nothing at all:

<META NAME="Robots" CONTENT="INDEX, FOLLOW">

<META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="INDEX, FOLLOW">

Spiders tend to follow text links much better than any other type, including imagemaps and javascript embedde links. If you could achieve the same result using CSS that you have with an imagemap, it's to your benefit from an SEO stance.

Your sitemap is difficult to follow, and would benefit from having links placed into clearly designated categories.

Portugal property, Algarve Property

are phrases that you are having trouble with in Google. Are they the phrases that you expect your targeted audience to use to search for your site?

I'm not sure that those words are what I would use to search for houses or property if I was looking. I'm not quite sure that is what you are doing, looking on your pages. I see some information about booking hotels, but I don't think that you are travel agent.

I'm not sure what to enter on the search box on the Property Search Page.

I like the montage of pictures and the description on a page like this one:

http://www.algarvete.../Property46.htm

But, It wasn't until I clicked for the "full property listings" that I had that choice. What I'm saying is that it isn't effortlessly clear how to get to those pages. The same text that describes what I'll find on the other side of links that get me to descriptions is the text that will get indexed by search engines and make pages on your site more easily found.

If you're targeting a US audience, "real estate" is a great phrase to use.

#5 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 02:07 PM

If google find the hidden links you'll face a probable penalty of PR0

<p align="center" style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">

<a href="http://www.google.com">.</a><a href="airport.htm">.</a><a href="albufeira.htm">.</a><a href="almancil.htm">.</a><a href="alvor.htm">..</a><a href="armacaodepera.htm">..</a><a href="awards.htm">.</a><a href="below100.htm">.</a><a href="burgau.htm">.</a><a href="buyingtips.htm">.</a><a href="carrental.htm">.</a><a href="carvoeira.htm">.</a><a href="commercial.htm">.</a><a href="contactus.htm">.</a><a href="details.htm">.</a><a href="exchangepartners.htm">.</a><a href="faq.htm">.</a><a href="faro.htm">.</a><a href="fulllist.htm">.</a><a href="golf.htm">.</a><a href="hotels.htm">.</a><a href="lagoa.htm">.</a><a href="lagos.htm">.</a><a href="links.htm">.</a><a href="loule.htm">.</a><a href="monchique.htm">.</a><a href="newlistings.htm">.</a><a href="news.htm">.</a><a href="olhao.htm">.</a><a href="plots.htm">.</a><a href="potimao.htm">.</a><a href="sagres.htm">.</a><a href="selling.htm">.</a><a href="services.htm">.</a><a href="silves.htm">.</a><a href="sold.htm">.</a><a href="tavira.htm">.</a><a href="theteam.htm">.</a><a href="valedolobo.htm">.</a><a href="vilamoura.htm">.</a><a href="vrsa.htm">.</a><a href="weather.htm">.</a><a href="http://www.yahoo.com">.</a><a href="page2.htm">.</a><a href="property1.htm">.<a href="property2.htm">.<a href="property3.htm">.<a href="property4.htm">.<a href="property5.htm">.<a href="property6.htm">.<a href="property7.htm">.<a href="property8.htm">.<a href="property9.htm">.<a href="property10.htm">.<a href="property11.htm">.<a href="property12.htm">.<a href="property13.htm">.<a href="property14.htm">.<a href="property15.htm">.<a href="property16.htm">.<a href="property17.htm">.<a href="property18.htm">.<a href="property19.htm">.<a href="property20.htm">.<a href="property21.htm">.<a href="property22.htm">.<a href="property23.htm">.<a href="property24.htm">.<a href="property25.htm">.<a href="property26.htm">.<a href="property27.htm">.<a href="property28.htm">.<a href="property29.htm">.<a href="property30.htm">.<a href="property31.htm">.<a href="property32.htm">.<a href="property33.htm">.<a href="property34.htm">.<a href="property35.htm">.<a href="property36.htm">.<a href="property37.htm">.<a href="property38.htm">.<a href="property39.htm">.<a href="property40.htm">.<a href="property41.htm">.<a href="property42.htm">.<a href="property43.htm">.<a href="property44.htm">.<a href="property45.htm">.<a href="property46.htm">.<a href="property47.htm">.<a href="property48.htm">.<a href="property49.htm">.<a href="property50.htm">.<a href="property51.htm">.<a href="property52.htm">.<a href="property53.htm">.<a href="property54.htm">.<a href="property55.htm">.<a href="property56.htm">.<a href="property57.htm">.<a href="property58.htm">.<a href="property59.htm">.<a href="property60.htm">.<a href="property61.htm">.<a href="property62.htm">.<a href="property63.htm">.<a href="property64.htm">.<a href="property65.htm">.<a href="property66.htm">.<a href="property67.htm">.<a href="property68.htm">.<a href="property69.htm">.<a href="property70.htm">.<a href="property71.htm">.<a href="property72.htm">.<a href="property73.htm">.<a href="property74.htm">.<a href="property75.htm">.<a href="property76.htm">.<a href="property77.htm">.<a href="property78.htm">.<a href="property79.htm">.<a href="property80.htm">.<a href="property81.htm">.<a href="property82.htm">.<a href="property83.htm">.<a href="property84.htm">.<a href="property85.htm">.<a href="property86.htm">.<a href="property87.htm">.<a href="property88.htm">.<a href="property89.htm">.<a href="property90.htm">.<a href="property91.htm">.<a href="property92.htm">.<a href="property93.htm">.<a href="property94.htm">.<a href="property95.htm">.<a href="property96.htm">.<a href="property97.htm">.</a></p>

#6 scoobysteve

scoobysteve

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 02:22 PM

Ammon,

OK they are outa there. I was only following tips posted by www.pr10.com on ways to increase your popularity, don't want to get PR0 cheers

#7 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9002 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:45 PM

scoobysteve, that website you say you used for advice is supposed to be humorous. It gives you exactly the reverse of the advice you need to be getting high rankings.

Some of it is neutral and won't do you any harm (e.g. putting a link to www.google.com on your website) nor will it do you any good. Others like the hidden links that Ammon pointed out are very bad. You're supposed to guess it's all a spoof when you read its creator:
Mr. GŁg L. Baht
c/o Larry & Sergey
2400 Bayshore Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043

You have an interesting website with lots of content so I'm sure once you remove all of Mr. Baht's suggestions it will do very well. Best of luck. :D

#8 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

• Hall Of Fame
  • 9339 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 04:20 PM

Yup, a few people told the author, Chris Ridings that the problem with an insider joke is that outsiders might be taken in. The site at http://www.pr10.com is a satire about spammy practices.

#9 DianeV

DianeV

• Hall Of Fame
  • 7216 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 08:23 PM

True, and this isn't the first time I've seen someone taken in by the insider-ness of the joke.

Mr. GŁg L. Baht = Googlebot (Google's spider)
c/o Larry & Sergey (Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin)

#10 scoobysteve

scoobysteve

Ready To Fly Member

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:47 AM

OK folks that is sorted, sorry to seam so lame but it seemed so viable. Anyhoo thanks for the advise much appreciated.
I still would like to know why Google have my old page in its cache and not my latest re incarnation. I uploaded the new page before the dance (i think) and I did see many date changes on the cache during the dance, so is there any reason why they have used my old page, which incdently used to rank high in the results. Also is it required to keep re submitting your url to google each month or is once enough as they have my site listed.

Thanks again folks you are helping a lot and I thank you.

kind regards

#11 bragadocchio

bragadocchio

• Hall Of Fame
  • 15634 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:11 AM

As long as you have links to your site from other pages that Google visits, it should follow a link to your site. You shouldn't have to submit to Google.

As for an old page in the cache, in the old steady days of monthly updates from Google, it would sometimes take the length of two update periods before a new page replaced the old one in the cache. So having that there shouldn't be a surprise.

#12 ukdaz

ukdaz

Light Speed Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 11:55 AM

I'm not an expert (the moderators are though! :) )but for the following

Portugal property, Algarve Property

I would go for: algarve villas
villas in Portugal
Portugal property
property for sale in the Algarve

I use Wordtracker to find keywords and then apply them in the content of a page including the title and description - seems to work reasonably well... though I had the keyword "learn to fly uk" and was third worldwide last month on the site www.nvgc.org.uk and now cannot find the site on Google with that keyword
1st rule: Don't panic! :roll:

#13 LadyRaven

LadyRaven

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

I know this is an old topic, but I too was fooled at first by that pr10 website. Lol. I followed all the instructions to the letter, and by the time I reached the end, I realised it was a hoax. :(

Now I'm worried that my website could have problems on it, or even get me into trouble.. Can anyone help out by letting me know if something's wrong? (I'm a very stressed lady over here! lol) The site is www.becksblades.com

I don't want to get into trouble or something. :(

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users