• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 lee.n3o

lee.n3o

Cre8asite Tech News Reporter

• 1000 Post Club
  • 1556 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:27 AM

Google is developing an operating system (OS) for personal computers, in a direct challenge to market leader Microsoft and its Windows system.

Google Chrome OS will be aimed initially at netbooks, the low-cost portable computers that have turned the PC world upside down.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/8139711.stm

#2 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4449 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:26 AM

Good news! Should be more secure than Windows and provide more developed features than Linux.

Will they develope web servers though, or will it all remain in he clouds?

GAMP?

#3 Jem

Jem

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:42 AM

The Google blog announcement has more detail:
http://googleblog.bl...-chrome-os.html

#4 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2655 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:27 AM

The whole thing will be based on PPC.

#5 notepage

notepage

Whirl Wind Member

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:47 AM

I thought their whole purpose was to categorize, search information, how does this fit in?

#6 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4449 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:26 AM

Google have much greater plans than just search and advertising. It may bring in the money, but it is not all of what they are about. Just like many of our businesses, the advertising revenue drives development of other areas, which in turn builds a larger customer base, thus driving more business.

How does Picasa, Google Earth, Panoramio, Google Docs, readers, blogs, checkout, Android mobile, Sketch up, Gogole desktop, Gogole Health, Talk, translation etc. etc. fit in with the Search and PPC business model?

#7 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1886 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:22 AM

It's going have about the same impact on the world that chrome has done to the browser market.

Are you really going to trust all your important documents to SAAS - leave your precious pictures and financial docs on a server somewhere in the world?

The number using gmail and other google services is tiny compared with the overall internet usage. Maybe a higher percentage of cre8asite members use them but for the rest of the world it's completely irrelevant.

If you read the google blog post it turns out that it's of no value to anyone who does anything offline. So if you want to use notebook to experiment with a script or use photoshop to touch up grannies wedding pictures or write your life story in an isolated cottage it's of no use whatsoever.

It's going to be damp squid. Just like the 30 million chrome users - whoo! That's nearly 1% of the worldwide internet users.

Edited by fisicx, 08 July 2009 - 06:29 AM.

#8 glyn

glyn

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 2655 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:05 AM

oops posted to wrong thread, deleting message!

Edited by glyn, 08 July 2009 - 07:05 AM.

#9 A.N.Onym

A.N.Onym

Honored One Who Served Moderator Alumni

• Invited Users For Labs
  • 4003 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

The thing is, though, SAAS seems to be the thing of the future. In a few decades offline work may not exist.

Of course, for ppl to trust G their sensitive data (basically, all their data), it has to be atrociously secure and efficient (better, than other OSes). I don't see it to be like that for a few years.

#10 DrPete

DrPete

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

I'm all for competition, but it would be nice if wasn't always the big players competing with each other. Unfortunately, a Google OS for netbooks is more likely to cut into the Linux market than the Microsoft market, I'm guessing. I think we can expect an Apple netbook and OS soon, so it'll be a 4-way battle.

#11 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4449 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

I think it plans to integrate the whole mobile/home/cloud computing thing.

Imagine, you take a photo on your Android G1. It then is saved to your Google account photo album. You get home, turn your pc on, and the photo is automatically downloaded to your photos drive. Same for emails, videos, documents etc. And works all ways.

For netbooks (is a laptop different?) this could make managing nad backing up data much easier. In theory, if you leave your home PC switched on, you could then easily save documents written while out and about to your home PC via Google apps. I guess. Maybe.

#12 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1886 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:16 AM

Except I'm in wales and there isn't a signal (of even just West of Colchester).

If all I've got is the GoogleOS I'm stuffed, but with a trusty laptop I can download, plug into the telly and look at all my piccies. I can then write up my diary or blog post ready for when I'm in signal range again. And when I'm done it's time to fire up Fallout3 or watch a DVD.

I undestand why SAAS is useful and why the majors want us to keep everyhing online but I don't think the infrastructure will be robust enough for many years. In addition, the increase in bandwidth if everyone does everything online - your weedy wifi dongle connection is just going to collapse under the strain of streaming a film while working on a database and downloading a OS update.

#13 DrPete

DrPete

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

@Fisicx - Practically speaking, I agree. I had an issue with syncing contacts/calendars on my iPhone to Google, because then it wants to use the server all the time and not maintain a local copy. Great for redundancy and syncing to my desktop, but really lousy when I need to pull up a calendar entry or contact and have no 3G signal (which is still pretty frequently). Infrastructure has a long way to go before we'll all be living in the cloud.

#14 Jem

Jem

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

If you read the google blog post it turns out that it's of no value to anyone who does anything offline. So if you want to use notebook to experiment with a script or use photoshop to touch up grannies wedding pictures or write your life story in an isolated cottage it's of no use whatsoever.

I can't see anyone using Photoshop 'seriously' on a netbook - they're just not designed for that kind of usage. (Don't confuse netbook and notebook - netbooks are the tiny things usually with basic specs and a low price point, notebooks/laptops are the bigger brother :) )

Personally I look forward to it. I got my netbook so that I could check my email and do a bit of light coding on the go. I'm currently running Linpus, which has some stupid software dependencies that slow it down. The other serious alternatives are Windows XP and Ubuntu Netbook Remix - both of which are too bloated for my simple needs.

Obviously I'm not necessarily indicative of an entire market, but I definitely look forward to seeing what other developments this prods into action.

#15 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1886 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:34 AM

Agree Jem (got myself a bit confused therre). Which does reduce the effect of the googleOS even more - only a tiny fraction of the online population use netbooks so it's not really a challenge to the main OS. Even if the popularity rose dramatically it still won't make a dent in the IT market.

Don't do coding on the go but checking email and browsing is a doodle on an iphone - can't see google breaking into that market just yet.

#16 wiser3

wiser3

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:06 AM

A true OS is to big a project to take on all at once. I can see Google starting with netbooks then adding more features to the OS in order to expand the system to notebook and desktop use.

#17 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4662 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:13 AM

Google has a history of release and iterate and minimal support. That has/is proven very problematic in Local/Maps. The security (including uptime) of cloud computing is currently borderline. Now an OS.

Frankly, I do not believe their corporate mindset is up to the task.

#18 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4449 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

A lot of the criticism seems to be based on what Google does now. Are we really sure that it will only work with a permanent internet connection? I know that mail and chat does not require internet to run on Android. I do not beleive that the OS will crash as soon as it goes out of 3G / wireless range. I am hoping that all the usual apps will work, but only require a connection when actually transmitting data. i.e. docs, spreadsheets, mail, photos etc.

#19 fisicx

fisicx

Sonic Boom Member

• Hall Of Fame
  • 1886 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

But that's the whole problem, you can't get to your docs without a connection and can't do any editing because the application only works online - there isn't anything loaded on your netbook except a browser and the connencting software.

#20 Jem

Jem

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

I don't know, I think jonbey raises a good point - are we going to see Google integrating and developing Google Gears further? After all, Gears is supposed to "Let web applications interact naturally with your desktop" and if Google want to bring the cloud to the netbook, it's going to need some sort of offline fallback.

#21 bwelford

bwelford

Peacekeeper Administrator

• Site Administrators
  • 9023 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:04 AM

Frankly, I do not believe their corporate mindset is up to the task.

... and as with many highly qualified, technical companies, the principal blinder on their thinking is that they are not customer-centric. It is in some cases linked with a touch of technical arrogance (customers can't grasp what is possible) and occasional hubris.

Edited by bwelford, 09 July 2009 - 11:05 AM.

#22 mrgoodfox

mrgoodfox

One Who Engineers

• Moderators
  • 1041 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

while I am happy to see more competition (Microsoft will have to try harder and make better windows), I do not think it will harm Microsoft's market by much,

as another poster pointed out, this will have as much effect as Chrome did on browsers (or even less). Changing an OS is not a small thing. in all honestly i doubt Google can become even close to an OS as good as windows. Microsoft has been in this business for many years with a lot of experience and history.

#23 DrPete

DrPete

Mach 1 Member

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

Not to play Devil's advocate for no reason, but I think it's worth noting that many of the arguments we're making about Google also applied to Microsoft at one time. I'm just old enough to remember how pretty much everyone (except Bill Gates) thought there was no way Microsoft could ever take on IBM.

Worst case, let them try. I'm not going to rush out to use it, but having 4 major players (Microsoft, Apple, Google, and the Linux/opensource community) in the OS space can't hurt consumers, all else being equal.

#24 iamlost

iamlost

The Wind Master

• Site Administrators
  • 4662 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:14 PM

"We are completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates."

If there is anything NOT to say in our industry it is that above. Talk of waving a red flag and asking for every hacker and cracker to take a run your software. Google meet hubris.

#25 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4449 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:52 AM

I am sure they are looking forward to the challenge. When my home server was hacked, I told my techy pal (who is now a googler) and his reply was "oh, cool, what are they doing?". He is nuts, I am sure. Some of these guys just love a challenge.

And jem, yeah, Gears and all that. Google have announce Chrome OS, not Chrome browser. I am sure their Docs will work on the browser offline. They cannot be so daft to think that people will have 100% internet access at all times. There are some things that people expect an OS to do now (other than be secure and allow you to send emails). Google know this. Maybe they will say "use open office" but I doubt it.

#26 wiser3

wiser3

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:03 AM

I hope it's truly a complete OS that could grow from a netbook to full fledged Desktop OS. A full featured desktop OS would be the only way to truly go after MS Windows and Mac OS.

If anyone remembers the Amiga OS i was on a panel that helped plan it's development and i'm still full of ideas that an OS must have right from the start as well those that can be added later.

For example, a full gaming module that goes beyond what can be done in a browser, could be added to the system later when your ready to launch console or desktop versions of the OS. But a document tracker must be available right from the beginning. Windows can tell me what applications i have open and can warn me if i shut down while another user is logged in. What i need to know is whether the other user has any edited documents open. Let me see what documents i have open, which ones haven't been saved and where they are physically located. As an OS developer you must include the document tracker right from the start. Otherwise, applications will be released that don't inform the OS of open/edited documents and you could never be sure whether you'd lose work when shutting down.

Does anyone know of a place where Google is accepting feedback on what we need in an OS? I have lots of other ideas.

#27 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4449 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

For example, a full gaming module that goes beyond what can be done in a browser.......

Does anyone know of a place where Google is accepting feedback on what we need in an OS? I have lots of other ideas.

Googler pal told me that the objective of Chrome browser was to create a browser that could do all the things that standard current browsers are not capable of. I assume that Chrome OS will then take this to the next level and start to put it into action.

As for feedback, there must be places to provide feedback in Google blogs, Code etc. Worth a dig.

#28 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4449 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

Here you go - Google Chrome Feedback Form. Isn't Google Search wonderful?

http://www.google.co...t_type=feedback

#29 wiser3

wiser3

Gravity Master Member

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:10 PM

jongey
That's Google Chrome feedback. I was looking for Google OS feedback, but thanks anyway.

#30 jonbey

jonbey

Eyes Like Hawk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4449 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

Oh yeah.

#31 nimitz1061

nimitz1061

New To Community

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

"Windows can tell me what applications i have open and can warn me if i shut down while another user is logged in. What i need to know is whether the other user has any edited documents open. Let me see what documents i have open, which ones haven't been saved and where they are physically located. As an OS developer you must include the document tracker right from the start. Otherwise, applications will be released that don't inform the OS of open/edited documents and you could never be sure whether you'd lose work when shutting down."

Document tracker?? Why? The Amiga was certainly capable of executing Position Independent Code (PIC) and with PIC module you don't need to know whether others are using the same program on a file in order to decide whether to shut it down. The operating system might reasonably provide a link counter service, but unless a user is an administrator, there is no reason for them to ever know that the program they just closed for themselves is still open for another user. Oh - also does away with the stupidity of having memory eaten by multiple copies of a single executable being in RAM at the same time. Sheesh.

This is perhaps, a good example of why more OS developers would be a better thing..

As for the low acceptance of the Google Chrome browser , hey, even sex doesn't sell to every body overnight. Its still in alpha, and pretty promising. I'm not using it yet, but am watching it. I expect it to do better as it matures.

David

"If there is anything NOT to say in our industry it is that above. Talk of waving a red flag and asking for every hacker and cracker to take a run your software. Google meet hubris."

Yup. Seen that before. But, does tend to indicate they are willing to take risks, and you can't begin to win unless you are.

David

RSS Feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users